Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Could I get into Stanford or an Ivy league?

Goski98Goski98 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
Hello! I am a junior. Stanford is my dream school. I expect to have 3 B's this semester. Weighted, my GPA has always been over a 4.0. I have not yet taken the SAT or ACT. I also plan on taking Subject Tests for Chemistry, Math level 1, Biology E, and French.

GPA history (APPROXIMATELY!):
Freshman Semester 1: W:4.0 UW: 3.8
Freshman Semester 2: W:4.1 UW: 4.0
Sophomore Semester 1: W: 4.6 UW: 4.0
Sophomore Semester 2: W: 4. 3 UW: 3.8
Junior Semester 1: W: 4.1 UW: 3.28

As for Extra Curricular... I am an athlete. I compete both nationally and internationally for the US. I compete in youth and Pro-division. Unfortunately, it is not a college sport. :(

Do you think I could get into Stanford or an Ivy league even though I have had a tough first semester of Junior year?

Please be honest! :)

Replies to: Could I get into Stanford or an Ivy league?

• artloversplusartloversplus Registered User Posts: 7,945 Senior Member
    A downward Gpa is never a good sign.
  • ADA110ADA110 Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    @artloversplus How do you calculate unweighted GPA?
  • Goski98Goski98 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    What if it goes up a lot next semester? @artloversplus
  • Goski98Goski98 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Only 2 replies? Any other opinions? :smiley:
  • ivyhopes12ivyhopes12 Registered User Posts: 322 Member
    There's no real way to accurately chance you without some benchmark SAT/ACT score, even an estimate practice test or PSAT. What kind of ECs do you do besides sports? (You won't get recruited for a non-college sport; at best, it's a nice EC). What awards have you won? Also consider the effect of recs and essays. Junior year is a good year to start cultivating 2-3 strong relationships with teachers who will next year write your recommendations. Long story short, too soon to tell, but if you get good recs + strong essays + 2200 or higher SAT, you have a fighting chance.
  • MidwestDad3MidwestDad3 Registered User Posts: 2,183 Senior Member
    Too early to tell on your grades, and without scores. Your international sports results might be a decent hook depending on the level of your success, even if it is not a collegiate sport.

Look at the Common Data Sets for each of these schools. They are very tough to get into, even with top scores. So look at some match schools and find one that is a great fit, just in case.
  • tooty44tooty44 Registered User Posts: 292 Junior Member
    Actually the slip in grades during the first semester of junior year is quite common (at least at my school) when kids start taking their first set of AP/IB classes. If your coursework is rigorous, I wouldn't worry too much and focus on bringing that UW GPA back up to a 3.8+.

Your sport should definitely help out.

I would say high reach for the top ivies and stanford unless you pick up that GPA.
This discussion has been closed.