Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

What are my chances for Vanderbilt, John Hopkins, NYU, and UT (Cockrell School of Engineering)

bilovialbilovial Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
edited January 2015 in What Are My Chances?
High school description: Small, rigorous IB School frequently ranked within US News and World Report’s top 20 public high schools

SAT Reading: 710
SAT Writing: 600
SAT Math: 700
SAT Total: 2010
ACT Total: 32

GPA: 4.0 unweighted

AP classes not offered at school, took 5 AP tests
Biology: 3,
English Composition: 5
Macroeconomics/ Microeconomics: 3
WORLD HISTORY: 5

Senior Year Courses: HL IB ECONOMICS, HL IB Biology, HL IB World Literature, HL IB History of the Americas, SL IB Spanish 5, SL IB Mathematics, Theory of Knowledge

Honors& Awards:
National Honor Society 11th – 12th
All “A” Honor Roll 9th – 11th
Silver President’s Volunteer Service Award 11th

Extracurricular Activities:

Community Service: 600 hours total
Tutoring Program
counselor at camp
intern at hospital
ambassador at airport
tutor for underpriveledged children
debate for 4 years/captain
speaker and student organizer for ted talk at my school
writer for school newspaper
member of unicef club at school
NHS
National society of high school scholars
AP Scholar with Distinction
Student leader of World awareness club

Recommendations: All recs great, most important rec from Biology teacher (ex- Harvard Professor) who oversaw independent research
Post edited by Chedva on

Replies to: What are my chances for Vanderbilt, John Hopkins, NYU, and UT (Cockrell School of Engineering)

• bilovialbilovial Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
  • thegrantthegrant Registered User Posts: 1,130 Senior Member
    your in range for all of those schools, probably will come down to your essays
  • warriorblade101warriorblade101 Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    Quick question are you a texas resident?
  • OsserpusserOsserpusser Registered User Posts: 322 Member
    From a Vanderbilt admissions blog. I think this advice is good for just about every school! Your application will be key.

"Here’s what I tell my students: if you’re within the mid-50% you have a good foundation to your application (but remember there are many other pieces to the puzzle).

If you have a test score above our mid-50%, you have a great foundation. Don’t slack on the rest of the application or you may not be happy with the result; also, if you have those great scores PLUS a great application we may chase you with merit money.

Finally, if you have a test score below our mid-50%, not all hope is lost! A quarter of our current freshman class scored below that number and they’re on campus now. However, with that lower test score, you’ve got to shine on the rest of the application."

Vandy- you are in mid 50% ACT; below on SAT
    JHU - in mid 50 for ACT; below for SAT
    NYU - at top of ACT range and above SAT range
    UT Cockrell - I assume you are OOS. You are slightly below for both SAT; in range for ACT.

Good luck!

• MusktardMusktard Registered User Posts: 152 Junior Member
    You have a great shot at all of these schools! Good luck! I'm sure you'll go somewhere wonderful!
    I'm actually in state, but I dont qualify for the top 7 percent automatic admission. How does this change my prospects.
  • hellothere1334hellothere1334 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    edited January 2015
    Other than your SAT scores, you are very well set for the aforementioned schools. With solid EC's and recs as good as you claim, you should get in to at least one, provided your essays are strong.

Vanderbilt: Low-reach (iffy on this, honestly I need a chances analysis for myself on this one)
    John Hopkins: Low reach
    NYU: Match
    UT Cockrell: High match or easier, unfortunately I am really chancing you for UT Austin as I don't know enough about Cockrell
    I am a texas resident
  • OsserpusserOsserpusser Registered User Posts: 322 Member
    I know of many students outside the top 7% who have been admitted to UT (across all majors) in RD. Cockrell will be most interested in your math scores and grades. Your volunteer experience sticks out most to me because it appears constant and genuine (not just for a good resume). Any applications left to submit? Emphasize that. Also great that you took AP tests when no courses are offered. Good luck!
  • AnnaFieraAnnaFiera Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    You should get into NYU easily. A 4.0 GPA is great, and you have a fair SAT score too.
    I only JHU left to submit, but i did emphasize my extracurriculars in Vandy and all the other schools I submitted applications too!
This discussion has been closed.