Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Chance me at top schools for a chance back?

ahawkinsahawkins Registered User Posts: 171 Junior Member
edited December 2014 in What Are My Chances?
Chance me for:
Columbia
Dartmouth
JHU
Princeton
Rice
Stanford
UPenn
Yale

Thanks in advance!

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 2230 (780 CR, 770 M, 680 W, 8 Essay)
ACT (breakdown): N/A
SAT II (place score in parentheses): Bio M (780), Lit (720), ML2 (690)
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.77 (4.57/5.0 weighted)
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 22/380
AP (place score in parentheses): Gov & Pol (5), English Lang & Comp (5), Biology (4), Calc AB (4), WHAP (4)
IB (place score in parentheses): N/A
Senior Year Course Load: AP Stat, AP Environmental Science, AP Calc BC, AP English Lit & Comp, AP Chemistry, AP Spanish Lang and Culture, and a tech class for the requirement.
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): AP Scholar with Distinction, Carson Scholarship Semifinalist, National Achievement Scholarship Semifinalist (Finalist determination pending), generic state "scholar athlete" awards, several club/school awards.

Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parentheses): Robotics Team (Strategy Captain and Webmaster), BSU (Vice President), Track & Field (Varsity Sprinter, County Championships), School Newspaper (Arts & Entertainment Section Editor), Policy Debate (Varsity 1AC/2NC), National Technical Honor Society (Leadership Board and Co-Founder).
Job/Work Experience: Working at nearby grocery store, tutoring.
Volunteer/Community Service: Volunteering at local shelter (Head Start, Big Brothers Big Sisters, canned food drives, etc.), participant in Best Buddies High Schools program, Project Linus, field day volunteering at local elementary schools, Black History Month assemblies, peer tutoring, ecological volunteering around the area (led efforts to help pick up trash, rake leaves; that sort of thing), JHUAPL Girl Power volunteering, founded robotics team at local middle school, manual conservation work.
Summer Activities: Volunteering at local nature center, working at grocery store. Also continued a year-long research project on the monetary restrictions on the American space program in which I was mentored and assisted by the host of a podcast show and a member of the NASA Advisory Council.
Essays: Discussed topics that meant a lot to me; I thought they were good.
Teacher Recommendations: Not sure how either of them were, honestly (didn't read). Both teachers like me a lot and were more than happy to write them, so hopefully they weren't problematic at the least, and very helpful at best.
Counselor Rec: Didn't read, but I'm presuming they're about as good as they'll get. She knows me fairly well because of national/regional/state/school awards, and because of other applications for programs like MITES that have gone through her.

Other
Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes.
Projected Concentration: Bioengineering / Biological Engineering.
State (if domestic applicant): MD.
Country (if international applicant): N/A
School Type: Public, mid-sized.
Ethnicity: Black or African American.
Income Bracket: N/A, but solidly middle class.
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM, first to pursue STEM in my family.

Replies to: Chance me at top schools for a chance back?

This discussion has been closed.