Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Worth trying for Harvard, Stanford, MIT?

panttigrispanttigris Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
Hi,

I'm an international student, I'll be applying this fall. I haven't taken SAT yet, so I know you can't say much now but I just want to know if it's worth trying for these colleges. Because otherwise, I won't spend time studying for SAT, I'll study for national university exams of my country.

Scores:
SAT, ACT: N/A
GPA: 99/100

Course: My school doesn't offer AP, IB etc. but our programme includes some university level courses.

ECs: Nothing much here but I can name a few:
- Playing the guitar for 6 years
- Shot a few short movies
- Developing Android apps
Next few may not worth anything, I'm not sure:
- Translating English movie,series subtitles to my language
- Blogging about computer science
And I'll found a computer science club this year and I'll give computer olimpiad lessons
And I'll found a LOL team this year
- I was invited and I attended to two selective university summer camps (one of them was in partnership with WaterlooU)
- Invited and attended national prep camps for computer olimpiads (summer & winter camps)
- I was in schools physics and chemistry olimpiad teams

Awards:
- Qualified to national science fair region finals with 1st rank from my city (in computer sc.)
- 2nd place in national science fair region finals (in comp. sc.)
- 3rd place in game developing competiton
- Qualified to national computer olimpiad second stage with 1st rank in region
- Won a gold medal and qualified to third stage of natinal computer olimpiads

Thats all. Sorry for the long post. Thank you.

Replies to: Worth trying for Harvard, Stanford, MIT?

• panttigrispanttigris Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    I forgot to mention:
    I'll probably get in national IOI team next year. Team members are announced in april but I can request the team leader (he was our teacher in prep camps) to mention this in rec. letter.
  • DVDplayerDVDplayer Registered User Posts: 175 Junior Member
    You have a very good extracurricular and academic record. I think it will be worth trying to apply to one of the universities you mentioned. If you want to apply early, you still have 3 months before the November SAT test and most universities accept the November test results for early application. If you are not going to apply early, then you can take SAT I in November, December or January. I think that you have ample time to prepare for the SAT. You can sit for the SAT subject tests in October as you seem to have a good hold in the sciences and you do not need to prepare for the SAT science subject tests extensively (the content of these tests are covered in most high-school curricula). If you work really hard and manage to get a very good SAT score, I think it is possible that within one years time you will be sitting at a class in one of the most prestigious colleges in USA. Best of luck!
    Thank you so much for your answer! I've been in an uncertain situation for weeks and I was just waiting for somebody to tell at least "you have a very slight chance". So, from now I'll be doing my best. Best of luck to you too!
    Any other opinion?
  • sgopal2sgopal2 Registered User Posts: 3,008 Senior Member
    Will you be applying for financial aid?
    Yes. But AFAIK Harvard and MIT are need-blind.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 32,859 Senior Member
    Honestly, you will need nearly perfect SAT scores to be seriously considered for those schools. Competition for internationals in particular is intense. Your ECs are okay, but those schools will be seeing apps from people who won or got to the final rounds at the national level. Amazing test scores will get you a look, but you don't really have time now for multiple attempts.
    Thank you for your answer. Actually, 2nd stage is the final of our national olympiad and I got gold from that. 3rd stage is just preparation and team selection for IOI. And game developing competition I mentioned is national level too.
    Without SAT/ACT scores it will be difficult to say. As @intparent states, you will need stellar scores to even have a chance. I've seen several international students get into Harvard EA, and here is what you will need

750+ subscores in each section of SAT or 34+ ACT
    Several SAT II scores > 750
    Good grades throughout high school
    EC of international recognition

So while you might have the grades and standardized scores, I don't see any of your ECs being extraordinary. You might consider broadening your search beyond Harvard, Stanford MIT.
  • ClarinetDad16ClarinetDad16 Registered User Posts: 3,422 Senior Member
    You need to score well within the 99th percentile of all test takers.

Any boxes checked? First generation college? URM? Legacy?
    edited September 2015
    Thank you for your answers.
    @sgopal2
    I can do first 3 of them (I expect two 800s in SAT IIs and my hs grades are all very high) but last one is not possible I think (because of time).
    @ClarinetDad16
    None of them is checked.

I think I shouldn't hope much. As I understand from your posts, I have got like %1-2 chance even if I score 2400+800+800 on SATs.
    Well it doesn't hurt to apply. Although the chances are slim, you won't really ever know until you apply. However applying early might help your chances somewhat. Consider some other schools with higher admission rates
    @sgopal2
    It wont be easy for me to study in the USA. So I can study in USA only if I got accepted to one of the top schools.
    I can't study enough till the EA SAT deadline, so EA is not suitable for me.
    I know no one can tell precisely, but what do you think my chances are if I get 2200 + 800 + 800? And lastly, what ECs or any other thing would you suggest me to increase my chance? Sorry for taking your time
    What about Princeton, UCLA, UC Berkeley? Are my chances any higher? Is it worth trying?
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 33,011 Super Moderator
    What about Princeton, UCLA, UC Berkeley? Are my chances any higher? Is it worth trying?
    Your chances are not any higher at Princeton. UCLA and UCB are public institutions, therefore if you require financial aid, you will be unable to afford them.
This discussion has been closed.