Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers
Chance me for Duke Early Decision please!!!!
Duke is by far my favorite school, I have spoken to alumni, visited, spoken with admissions and I am in love with it. I have low enough income that if I'm accepted ED I assume I will be mostly taken care of, the rest i don't mind, I just really really really want to go there, nowhere else.
Cummulative GPA: 3.6 UW 4.7 W
- PSAT: 208, SAT I: 2170 (probably not sending)
- ACT: 35 one sitting (35E 35M 32R 36S) --(most likely sending)
- SAT II: 800 Bio E, 740 Chem, 800 math 2
- Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.6, Weighted: 4.7
- Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): top 15% (small school with lots of good kids, around 50 kids in my class)
- AP (place score in parenthesis): World History 4, Euro 4, Chemistry 5, Calc AB 5, Calc BC 4, English Lang 5, Bio 5, U.S. History 4.
- IB (place score in parenthesis): not offered at my school
- Senior Year Course Load: AP Macroecon, AP Gov, AP Lit, AP Art History, AP Stats, Dual Enrollment Multivariable Calculus, AP Physics C, Women's Studies Honors, Greek 4 Honors, AP Environmental, Online P.E.
- Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Both individual and team Medals in Regional and State Florida Science Olympiad, National AP Scholar, National Hispanic Recognized, Multiple High Honor Rolls
- Job/Work Experience: Internship Junior Summer with a waastewater recycling project at the University of Miami working in a lab, internship Senior summer working in genetics lab studying DNA Methylation in Parkinson's disease
- Volunteer/Community service: 300+ hours of volunteer work at labs, hospitals, helping kids with special needs
- Essays: works in progress, but overall good to great writer
- Teacher Recommendations: I've been told by internships and programs that they are exceptional
- Counselor Rec: good i expect, she's my AP bio teacher as well as my counselor and loves me
- Additional Rec: not sure if will use one
- Interview: not done but I've gotten accepted to every interview I've ever gone to??? :)
- State (if domestic applicant): Florida
- Country (if international applicant):
- School Type: Small Public Charter, very competitive, #5 in the state
- Ethnicity: Hispanic
- Gender: Male
- Income Bracket:<$50,000
- Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.):first generation college, hispanic, idk what else...
- Strengths: letters, essays, EC's, test scores, quality of volunteer work
- Weaknesses: GPA compared to most of my peers, who have 3.7,3.8,3.9
General Comments: I am considering using my ED app for quest bridge if I'm a finalist but Duke isn't a school and I love Duke so much that I might even turn down quest bridge if I'm a finalist just to apply. It's always been my dream school, and with ED chances go from ~10% to about 24%
my school is known specifically for its greek, math, and philosophy intensive curriculum, and many students want to be engineers. We have had 7/7 duke applicants be accepted (but all with 3.9 GPA's). I will probably apply as a Neuroscience/Bio/Anthro major, not sure yet but surely not engineering, definitely pre med.
Thank you for your input!!!!!!