Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

What are my chances of getting into an Ivy League/ Top 20 college with a 3.5 gpa?

2»

Replies to: What are my chances of getting into an Ivy League/ Top 20 college with a 3.5 gpa?

• digitalreformdigitalreform Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    @rowdyfries

you probably should have probably made another thread lol. were the leadership confrences you attended selective? if not, i don't think they will give you much leverage. what is your intended major? all in all you seem like a strong applicant. i think you'll have a shot at cornell and brown; idk about yale though. congrats on your acceptances!

can you chance me as well by answering my question? thanks :)
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 4,286 Senior Member
    You know that your chances are low- b/c you are smart enough to know that colleges who accept less than 10% of their applicants are turning down 90+% of the applicants.

Take Brown, so often dissed as a 'lower' ivy. It has one of the highest ivy admit rates, at 9.1%. Last year they turned down 27, 519 applicants, the vast majority of whom were well qualified applicants. Note that only 172 of the 2,877 students admitted were *not* in the top10% of their class.

I think that this piece and this piece are still amongst the best pieces of advice out there.

Work really hard over the next months to identify some *other* colleges that you could actually love. It is easy to love the top names- the names your parents and peers will be impressed by. You will have no trouble writing those 'why us' essays when the time comes. But, you need to be able to write some great 'why us' essays for some colleges where you are not just extremely likely to get in, but would be *happy* to attend. If you don't need them in 2 years time, no harm done. But if you do need them, it will make all the difference.

• oklivxooklivxo Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    it will be very hard for you t get it. Try looking at schools with a 40-60 acceptance rate-they can still be good.
    Yale-reject
    Brown-reject
    Cornell-waitlist
    @oklivxo could you recommend some LACs for me that could be more reasonable than the Ivies? thx.
    edited March 26
    I just got accepted into my city's youth leadership class of 2019. I had to be recommended by my guidance counselor and then I was chosen to go through an interview. I will be representing my school in my city's leadership program. Would this help for the Ivies?

• collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 4,286 Senior Member
    Not on it's own. You clearly don't want to hear it, but those 8 (or 8+ depending on what you are including in the word "Ivy") have to be treated as 'lightening strikes'- very unlikely but not 100% impossible. So you need to really drag yourself by the scruff of the neck and look - seriously- for more realistic choices. You need to have at least a few strong choices that you actually like and value.
    St lawrence, gettysburg, wooster would be matches for u
  • ChembiodadChembiodad Registered User Posts: 1,859 Senior Member
    OP, work on getting grades up and enjoy high school; then once you complete testing you'll know more.
  • softiestudiessoftiestudies Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    I hate chancing people bc I'm not an admission officer but I will offer you some advice that can help you become a candidate. Try to get as many leaderships positions as possible. The way I see it, is that you need to do exceptional things to be an exceptional student and colleges like exceptional students. Capitalize on your strengths. Take action when no one else is doing something. Do not limit your world. Don't stress too much about your GPA bc your IB classes make up for it and colleges I don't think will mind that so much. But do you're thang and keep working hard.
    edited April 5
    I also forgot to add that I was a section editor of my school's yearbook my freshman year. Sophomore year I became a Lead Writer. I'm currently taking Spanish online in addition to the Latin I'm taking in school. I also created my own photobook which I am planning on self- publishing next year.
  • IlovecherrypiesIlovecherrypies Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    My friend got into Cornell University with a 3.5 uw. Another one of my friends got into Stanford with a 3.5 uw. It's really about your essays and your extracurriculars. Yes, a good gpa will increase your chances but there's always hope when applying to your dream schools.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,998 Senior Member
    More and more kids are getting rejected every year. Find schools you have a realistic chance of getting into. At this point, you should app,y to maybe one top school, as a pie in the sky "why not." Expect nothing though, and you won't be disappointed. You need a reality check. It is EXTREMELY extremely unlikely you will get in. Just take the $85 loss as a life lesson.
2»
This discussion has been closed.