On the Common App, I currently have safety/mid-tier schools of UVA, UMI, Case Western, and OSU.
My reach schools are Princeton, Penn, UChicago, WashU, and I may add Dartmouth.
ACT: 35 Composite; Reading: 35, English: 36, Science 35, Math: 33, Writing: 7
SAT Subject Tests: Awaiting scores for Math II and US History (I expect mid 700s, 720-780 most likely)
Class Rank: 5th (as of sophomore year, most likely will have improved)
GPA: Unweighted: 3.86 Weighted: 4.20 (As of the end of Junior year, will improve by the end of senior year)
Course Load: Most rigorous path offered at my high school, I have take 3 APs (will take 4 additional my senior year) of 8 possible APs
APs: US History (5), Art History (5), Physics 1 Algebra Based (4)
-Honor Roll (All 4 Years) (School Recognition, easy to achieve)
-WBL All Academic Team (Junior Year; received for having a 3.5+ GPA and 2+ Varsity Letters (varsity letters must be athletic, thus does not include things like band or quizbowl)) (Regional Recognition, 6/220 kids in my grade achieved this)
-National Honors Society (Junior and Senior Years; does not actually meet until Senior Year, so possibility for President/Secretary Positions, but that will most likely be after I submit my application) (School Recognition, about 30/220 kids in my grade achieved this)
-National Merit Scholar Commended (Junior Year; Commended is questionable, I had an index of 218, the cut off last year for Semi-Finalist in OH was 217 so possibility of Semi-Finalist, this will be known in time for application) (National Recognition)
-AP Scholar (Junior Year) (National Recognition)
10 Activities on Common App (In Order):
1. Summer Research- Currently in progress at Ohio Northern University in the pharmacy department, researching substances which disrupt the cell cycle and how to induce apoptosis in melanoma cells without affecting surrounding healthy cells. I will receive a $300 stipend, as well as an award from ONU.
2. Supervisor at Summer Camp- For kids ages 5-9, teach self-defense, public/animal/home/gun safety (125 Hours)
3. Soccer- Varsity Letter sophomore year (JV freshman year)
4. Science Olympiad- CoCaptain, all 4 years of high school, advanced to state and won various medals at the regional level
5. Volunteer Club- Secretary, 3 years of high school; fundraise and organize community events
6. TEAMS- 3 years of high school, unsure of exact results but always 1st or 2nd at regional level
7. Chess League- 3 years of high school, Supervisor/Coach, volunteer to teach chess to kids first Saturday of every month for 3 hours at a time
8. Cross-Country- 2 years (CoCaptain Senior Year), team has won districts every year, 2 Varsity Letters
9. Piano- Took lessons until I was a teen, have been self teaching ever since
10. Spanish Club- 3 years, most likely will be an Officer my Senior year
I live in a rural Ohio town and attend public school with 220 kids in my grade currently (historically the senior class graduates with about 180 kids, the grade above me who just graduated started the year with 244 and ended with 186 I believe... for approx. class size on the Common App I put 220)
Race: White and Asian (mixed)
As I said, I've taken the most rigorous course possible at my school (it is impossible to take all 8 APs due to scheduling conflicts), my senior year will be: AP Calc, AP Chem, AP English, AP Spanish, Anatomy, and US gov
As for GPA, I don't know of anyone at my school who has ever graduated with a 4.0 unweighted, my class valedictorian is sitting at about 3.95, which is the usual GPA of the valedictorian
To compensate for my low ACT writing, I'm enrolling in an online class to help improve my writing (that ACT is from the beginning of junior year, and my writing also improved over the course of my junior year)
Will apply Early Action everywhere possible, but will not apply restrictive early action or early decision.