Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Chance me? I'm new here...

engineering2022engineering2022 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
Hi everyone! My top schools right now are Columbia, Northwestern, Duke, and UMich. I will probably apply ED to Duke. I have a 4.0 gpa unweighted and a 5.1 weighted. I took 3 AP classes junior year and am going to take 4 this year. I got a 33 C ACT (35 W, 33 M, 33 S, 31 R). My sat subject test scores were 770 Math 2 and 760 Biology. I have a few part time jobs. ECs are leader of Girls who code club, link crew, student council, and track. I also go on mission trips in the summer.
Thanks!

Replies to: Chance me? I'm new here...

• cooperismydogcooperismydog Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I live really close to Duke and its a wonderful school! Don't worry to much about getting in to Trinity's part of Duke. If I were you, I would retake the ACT to see if you could maybe raise that reading score, because its dragging your score down. It shouldn't be a big deal.

My question is: are you taking the most rigorous classes at your school? Are you at the 'top of your class'? I know for many school, seven is a low number. At my school, seven is a lot (and the kids here go to good schools). It depends on your school.

But yeah, you have a good chance at Duke ED. Columbia is a reach and Northwestern is cold so yeah go to Duke.
  • fluffybearfluffybear Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    I think you have a good chance at Duke ED. Your GPA is really high! Test scores and AP course load are okay. Personally, I think your EC's are somewhat scattered. You do Girls Who Code, play a sport, and go on mission trips? What is your intended major?

Also I agree with the poster above. You should try to be at the top of your class academically, grade-wise and rigor-wise.
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 16,763 Senior Member
    Try to bring your test score up a little bit would help to make these reaches lower reaches.
  • engineering2022engineering2022 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Thanks everyone- I am planning on majoring in biomedical engineering, so it would be Pratt not Trinity. I will actually have 8 AP classes with AP Chem sophomore year. That's close the most you could fit in at my school, except that I took academic history instead of APUSH. And I guess you could take more senior year but I chose O chem and anatomy instead of an AP History or something.
  • senior2018xxsenior2018xx Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    I would raise the ACT score if possible. SAT is good, but I would take it again if I were you just to be sure. All of these are good schools. GPA is good - just wondering what your weighted gpa is out of? At my school the highest possible is a 5.0 but that would mean you take only AP classes and get above a 95 in them so that's unrealistic. just wondering how yours scales it. :)
  • engineering2022engineering2022 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    A is 90-100; An A in an academic class is a 4.0, an A in an honors class is 5.0 (B in honors 4.0), and an A in an AP class is a 5.5.