Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Ignore that I'm African and chance me please

badguysbadguys Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
Ok, my dream is to become a doctor and build a non-profit hospital in my home country of Nigeria. I was borne in Tennesse, but I did 10th grade entirely in Nigeria.

Ok, I recently came back from Nigeria, so my GPA fell a little (.15 or so) because of the transfer.

Please, disregard my ethnicity!!!! (Am I a competitive applicant for Harvard, MIT, Johns Hopkins, or Yale)

GPA: 4.3265 (weighted) 3.7 (unweighted)
SAT/ACT: (1500/1600)(32/36) {first time on both} (I had a big charity event that prevented me from studying for the SAT and I had to work so only studied for 2 days for the ACT)

Extracurriculars:
- Founded state-recognized non-profit called Professional Students
- Started uniform fashion line & reinstituted bus program for low-income non-zoned members of NHS who needed rides home
- Only African culture represented at school diversity fair
- I took courses from Yale, Johns Hopkins, and the University of Michigan on Cancer through Coursera to help me volunteer at a non-profit clinic that I am heavily involved with (only volunteer)
- Collected donations for National Health Week for non-profit clinic, got to meet with health representatives and engage in public speaking
- Ran over 15 miles in an at-risk neighborhood advertising for charity mammograms with my honors certificate from Johns Hopkins; facilitated a wide community participation
- Non-profit clinic mascot and Clerical Assistant
- Coordinated health fairs at a community center with clinic during Hurricane Harvey (took pictures with mayor too
-Represented a non-profit clinic at a board meeting with city officials. Organized donations from event and prioritized event over SAT. I was the only high school volunteer. Did speeches in English and Spanish for Event
- Reached out for volunteers for Men's Health event and advertised for it on channel 11 TV with the clinic
- I tutor special needs kids on Sundays.
- Helped plan and coordinate a church easter egg hunt

Distinctions/Awards:
-College Prep Scholar
-Ventures Scholar
-IB Ambassador
-Quest For Excellence New Americans Award

Dream to be Neurosurgeon. Plan to do Pre-med and double major in Biology and Neuroscience

Replies to: Ignore that I'm African and chance me please

• badguysbadguys Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Oh I forgot to mention, I'm also in NHS, was inducted into the International Association of Black Actuarians for free due to my perfect math SAT score, and I am participating in the MIT WISE program from September 17-19. (Weekend Immersion in Science and Engineering)
    I was also nominated for a 5 million naira a year NNPC scholarship but I didnt want to go into petroleum engineering.
  • SREE33SREE33 Registered User Posts: 369 Member
    u definetly are competitive for all those schools (MIT, JHU, ivies, etc...)
    U have good GPA, i would use SAT, and good EC's
    the only way to better ur chance at these schools is (since u cant change GPA) is try to have amazing essays (like start ealry and revise a lot and use pros to make it amazing) and if u can try to get an interview and pratice a lot for it.
    You have good EC, more leadership can help too. for SAT if u have time tho, study as much as possible and try to get atleast 1550+ for best shot.
    however, these schools are reaches for u as well as anyone due to sub 10 acceptance rates and the unpredictibailty of admission. So u never know....
    however u are premed and u want to go med school
    These schools are amazing and all, but they will be expensive unless u get lot of merit scholarships or FA/ which i am sure is possible. Going to a state school or any other cheap school will be helpful for less debt in the future. Whats ur state of residence?
    Schools like MIT and JHU are already cuthroat and competitive and it will be crazy hard for premed.I know ur smart but less compettiotn is always to ur advantage as medical school is hard to get into. Harvard and Yale are also competitive and have some grade- inflation. Why do you want to go to these schools anyway? They don't gaurantee med school acceptance.
    If ur from Tenensee, you can go to a school like U Tennesee or Tennesee State where ur Instate and save money. U could also attend Alabama where u will near full tuition. And you can find a lot of similar schools to this where you can get a lot of merit aid and you can be in Honor College. Not just for financial reasons, at schools like this you will be at the top of ur class and have better chance to get higher GPA. U also need good MCA, EC's and stuff too.
    Anyways, don't just go to these schools cuz they are Top 10's. Find where u fit. Sometimes less competitve colleges are better especially for premed.
    once again, u still have a great chance at ur listed schools but for anyone its a crapshoot
    I wanted to go to Harvard, because that's the only college that the elders in my village know about in the US. JHU because of the innovations in oncology that they have made such as the Two-hit hypothesis for genomic instability. i applied for multiple essentially full ride scholarships too. Thanks for your input. I didn't think I was smart enough for those schools.
    Ye u are smart enough.
    And it doesn't really matter if ur villagers know about the college. I mean if u do well in undergrad, u can go to any med school (all of them are good) and even Harvard if u try hard enough. So med school is more important than UG.
    good luck
  • rishfire123rishfire123 Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    I agree with @SREE33. Although going to Harvard and Johns Hopkins is phenomenal, getting into a better medical school is much more important than going to one of the best schools for undergrad. Expand your list to schools with great programs in biology and chemistry. It might be worth your while to go to a "smaller" school (where you have a better chance of getting money) for undergrad and then look for schools like Harvard and JH for medical school.
    Ok. That makes sense. Any recommendations?
    well i guess any in state school is fine, or surrounding ones with good merit
    LAC's that are affordable are also good
    Well I seem to have good chances at some major competitive scholarships so paying doesn't seem so difficult to me. Thank you so much for your advice.
  • 3puppies3puppies Registered User Posts: 1,076 Senior Member
    Asking to disregard your ethnicity is like asking Obama's daughters to disregard their family connection. You're a smart student, with good grades and scores. You are smart enough, then, to realize that any school with sub 10 acceptance rate is a crapshoot for anyone. But you are smart enough to understand that EVERYTHING in your application matters. We commonly tell caucasian and/or over-represented minorities that sometimes their ethnicity works against them.

You will end up in a great school, and it sounds like you will do great things afterward. A lot of kids change their paths along the way - which is fine, too - that's part of growing up.

Best of luck.
    English isn't my strength, but I'm proficient in Igbo and English. For the EBRW section, I recommend just redoing practice tests like clockwork in only that section. I'm ashamed of you as a Nigerian I expect 800. 3puppies, I hate when people tell me that just because I'm African any college will accept me. I've done more than any Asian I know of in my school but that doesn't seem to count for anything.
    I meant 800 on math