Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Chances for UW Seattle, UCSD, UW Madison, Purdue, University of Minnesota Twin Cities, USC, and UMD

navyTrident933navyTrident933 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
Hello! This is my first ever thread and I was wondering what my chances are to potentially get into the above colleges.

I really want to major in computer science, I've made about 5 websites, and got introduced to coding by my APCSA teacher. My UW GPA is a 3.15 and my Weighted is a 3.785. The reason it is this low is because throughout my sophomore and junior year I have had a lot of family issues and health issues. I lost two very important family members during my sophomore year and during my junior year I got diagnosed with chronic vertigo and chronic tennis elbow. Because of this, I ended up missing a lot of school junior year. I took 12 ap classes throughout my high school career. My biggest failure was getting a C in APCSA which actually motivated me to try and relearn the material by myself throughout the summer of junior year. I have a 33 act and took 3 subject tests. I got a 770 on Math 2, 780 on US History, and a 760 on Physics.

My ECs are:

FBLA(Future Business leaders of America)
JSA(Junior State of America)
Robotics Club
Computer Science Club
Innovation lab(A club I founded during my junior year of high school which focuses on making websites and apps for local businesses)
Ping pong club(I enjoy the sport and it helps relieve stress)

I also have done sports which include:

Tennis(I played all 4 years on varsity)
swimming(Did this sophomore and part of junior year.... had to quit after getting vertigo)
wrestling(freshman year, I quite after freshman year because I transferred high schools and the wrestling team at my new high school was practically nonexistent)

I really want to go to UW Seattle and am considering applying early action. I really want to get some opinions on this. The sooner the better! Thank you so much once again!

What other colleges should I consider applying for? Thank you once again.

Replies to: Chances for UW Seattle, UCSD, UW Madison, Purdue, University of Minnesota Twin Cities, USC, and UMD

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 62,974 Senior Member
    With an unweighted 3.15 HS GPA, all of the schools in your thread title should be considered reaches, especially for the CS major at Washington and UCSD. That is even before considering cost.

State of residency and cost constraints are needed to be able to choose safety and match schools.
  • navyTrident933navyTrident933 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    I understand however, what about doing gen ed and then switching into my desired department?
    I understand however, what about doing gen ed and then switching into my desired department?

If CS has higher selectivity in frosh admissions, it will be difficult to change into after enrolling. The reason is that the CS major has far more students interested in it than it has space for, so only a few of those admitted to the school can be allowed into the major.
    Ok, if thats the case then what if I apply regular decision and show colleges that my gpa has increased and that I am capable of doing college level work?
    One semester of senior year 4.0 GPA will not bring up a six semesters' worth of 3.15 GPA that much. Your list should still be considered an all-reach list.
  • snowfairy137snowfairy137 Registered User Posts: 1,857 Senior Member
    Don't go to UW Seattle for CS unless you get into the CS program when you get accepted to the college, which is a reach for you. The UW has one application deadline (either November 1st or 15th, I can't remember), so you can't apply EA.
  • labegglabegg Registered User Posts: 1,584 Senior Member
    I completely disagree that your list is all reach due to your GPA I think you test score go I long way to making a difference. Perhaps for your major yes, but for general admissions no. As snowfairy pointed out there is no EA for UW.
    Thank you so much :). I really hope that I will be able to explain why my gpa has been low as I did push myself and took the toughest classes that my school had to offer.
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 2,459 Senior Member
    Where are you in state? I'm assuming not Washington or you'd know how UW admissions works. You will need slightly better stats than the instate applicants at all your out of state schools.

Is money an issue? If so, you should have a couple in-state options on your list and maybe a school or two that gives money for high test scores. Smaller schools may take more time to read about your losses and give you more of a break on your GPA as well. State schools with thousands of students to process spend the minimum time per applicant.
    I live in Illinois and money isn't really that big of an issue. I come from a middle class family.
    I live in Illinois and money isn't really that big of an issue. I come from a middle class family.

If you can afford those out-of-state public schools, your family is probably at the upper edge of "upper middle class" or higher in income/wealth. On the other hand, some students and parents who initially assume that money "isn't that big of an issue" get shocked when they see the actual college costs in the net price calculators.

You need to add more realistic schools, including at least one where you are assured of admission to the CS major (or where you are assured of admission to the school and the CS major is not a restricted or competitive major to enter later) and which is definitely affordable.
    What I meant by "middle class" is that my family can afford school costs for schools such as Purdue, UMD, and maybe University of Minnesota twin cities.
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 2,459 Senior Member
    The school your parents can "maybe" afford is the cheapest one on your list for out of state students. Have you discussed an actual dollar amount with your parents?

If by UMD you mean Maryland, that's 50,000 per year when coming from out of state.
    Yes I have and the amount they are willing to pay at most would be 50k