Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Occidental, U of Miami, NYU, St. John's University

Tyler000Tyler000 Registered User Posts: 23 Junior Member
want to transfer for the Fall 2018 semester to

U of Miami,
New York University
St. John's University (Queens)
Occidental

I want to major in Film studies at all colleges
Should I apply to Gallatin instead of Tisch at NYU? I heard it's easier to get into. Nyu is my dream school
I will have completed 33 credits by then

High school:
I graduated with a 2.8 gpa... not great I know..
My HS extracurriculars are pretty good though
-volunteer work
-i worked a job all throughout HS
- apart of film club
-i play the piano, guitar and drums
-Acting classes
-I helped my mom with my 8 brothers and sisters after school everyday

. 1080 sat score- 24 ACT score (I plan to retake it)

Community college:
I will have completed 33 credits. I had a 3.7 GPA in the fall (I worked my butt off. Unlike in high school...)
I also take pretty hard classes. Psychology, microbiology, philosophy, etc.
I also worked throughout my fall semester and was apart of 2 clubs
What are my chances?? Thanks!

Replies to: Occidental, U of Miami, NYU, St. John's University

• AnalMomAnalMom Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    If you want to do film, you should be in the Los Angeles area for the networking. Chapman University has a great film program but it's super competitive and you need to send your film work. It's a private school but they do offer scholarships. Most alums are very happy with this school, as the students are friendly and the professors and administration are caring. The weather is great, campus is immaculate, and it's 15 minutes from Disneyland :D They also have the pipeline to for the students to get internships in LA. Transfer applications are accepted on a rolling basis after Feb. 15: https://www.chapman.edu/admission/undergraduate/applynow.aspx

Occidental is a school with hippies and liberals and its campus is run-down, also located in a bad area. Would not recommend.

USC has a film school but it's very difficult admissions, same with UCLA.

Loyola-Marymount admissions are easier than all of the above and it's a nice campus (although hilly) in a nice part of town.

My son is at U of Miami and loves it. Don't know about their film school, however. But the students are very friendly and the professors and admin are caring. They always have something fun to do on campus.

These are all private schools so beware of that. Maybe go to a cheaper undergrad and private college for grad school.
  • kaupilimakoakaupilimakoa Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    Strongly disagree that Occidental campus is "run down" or filled with hippies. It definitely skews liberal. By "bad area" do you actually mean "diverse" Just because everyone you see isn't white, doesn't mean its a "bad area". Along with adjacent Highland Park it is a really vibrant community.
  • AnalMomAnalMom Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    edited March 13
    Typical liberal response, throw in racism as a defense, even though it's 48% white, and my son attends U of Miami (less whites at 41% white). When the area around it has businesses with wrought iron on their doors and windows, and the buildings aren't clean, I consider it a less than desirable area—has nothing to do with racism.

The dorms are so run down that the tour guide wouldn't even let us see the rooms, only the lounge area which hasn't been renovated since the 70s. Occidental students are extremely to the left. I've known many who have attended and a few have returned as Deadheads—it doesn't get anymore liberal than that. On top of it, they bring dogs on campus during finals week for emotional support for their Snowflakes, along with Zumba classes and massages. College shares a variety of free stress relievers with students during finals week, including Zumba classes and massages.

From the LA Times: "In a report released this week, federal investigators found that from 2009 to 2013, administrators at the Eagle Rock liberal arts school violated multiple mandates of the Clery Act, which requires colleges to report campus crime statistics each year. The violations included a failure to accurately compile and disclose crime statistics, issue timely warnings of potential safety threats, maintain accurate daily crime logs and provide necessary crime-prevention information to students, employees and parents."

"But two weeks before her sophomore year began, Capranica, now 22, says she was sexually assaulted by another student. When she went to report the crime to school officials, Capranica was shocked by their response.

'I was told I might have to stay in the same dorm as the guy who had done this," she says, "and that my case wasn't really that serious."
  • BingBong284BingBong284 Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    For the record, Occidental is in Eagle Rock, which is an up-and-coming neighborhood. Occidental' campus is fine, and a majority of schools around the country are very liberal. I am a Republican, NRA member currently going to UC Berkeley, which is reputed to be on of the most liberal schools. It's honestly fine, no one is going to confront you for your political beliefs unless you yourself are boisterous about them. Obviously, you haven't commented on political atmosphere, but don't be concerned as most colleges and professors are left leaning and going out of your way to avoid that would be foolish.