Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Chance Me For UVa (Highschool Class of 2020)

chadhugh1chadhugh1 Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
Hey here are some quick stats before I go into my academics

- Male
- Biracial (Black & White)
- Live in Virginia
- Single Mom
- First Generation of College

(I have a bad habit of missing days of school by over sleeping and was wondering if collges take that into their admission descions, 17 last year and 16 so far this year. I still make good grades)

GPA: 3.83
SAT: Taking June 2
ACT: Taking this summer also
PSAT: 1070

(By the time i graduate I would of taken 2 PSAT, 2 SAT, 2 ACT, 1 Biology Subject Test, 1 US History Subject Test)

Here are some Clubs/Extra Curriculars

FBLA
Debate (start next year)
Academic Team (strt next year)
NHS Science
NHS History
NHS Math

(I believe I can join all those NHS clubs)

Classes:

Freshman:

Algebra I
Principle of Business and Marketing
PE/Health 9
World Geography
Advanced Earth Science
Spanish II
Intorduction to Food
English 9
DE Econmics & Personal Fianace

Sophmore:

Geometry I Advanced
Spanish III
Chemistry I Honors
World History
PE/Health 10
Biology Advanced
Algebra II
English 10 Advanced
(AP Economics, possibly taking over the summer)
Junior:

AP Statistics
AP US History
AP Psychology
AP Human Geography
AP English 11
AP Biology
DE Analysis
Chemistry II Honors

Senior:

AP Chemistry
AP US Government
AP Enviromental Science
DE Calculus
DE English 12
Biology II Honors
Art II

I'd like to Major: Chemistry, Minor: Biology
CHANCE ME!
Give me advice please

Replies to: Chance Me For UVa (Highschool Class of 2020)

• lostPiperlostPiper Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    Being late is not really too much of a factor, but can reflect poorly on you if your school office notices it as a problem and you get detention. Try to break that habit, you'll appreciate that you did in the long run too!

You probably want to work on bumping up your PSAT/SAT score a few hundred points. Don't bother with the second ACT unless you think the format suits you better, you usually take one or the other, not both. After this summer, decide which test felt best and which you scored highest and retake that. Remember that taking the PSAT junior year could qualify you for National Merit if you score high enough. For the subject tests, they are not necessary but good if you want to show that you excel in a certain subject.

While all those college-level classes are good, I'm a little concerned about how many you're getting into at once. Did your school not let you take APs until Junior year? Human Geography, Statistics, and Psychology are "extras" in a way, so you might want to tone it down. Human Geography doesn't even qualify for a credit or course exemption, so only take it if you're interested. Statistics can be hard, especially if you're taking another math class, though the research skills you learn can be helpful. You're missing a fourth year of Spanish, also?

Overall, probably a good chance, but make sure you're working smart and not spreading yourself too thin.
  • VAMom23VAMom23 Registered User Posts: 451 Member
    I won't purport to chance you for admission, but will offer some observations. Don't stack classes or after school activities just so that you impress a college. Pick what you are really interested in. Your love for the topic/theme etc will show in your achievements. In other words, don't just stack memberships in multiple clubs. Variety is fine (no need to stick with an EC that you no longer like just to "please" an adcom.) Keep your GPA up. Do well on your SAT or ACT. No need to take them all multiple times if the scores are great the first time around My son was admitted with only 3 years of a lang., so 4 years is not necessary, but he will need to make up for lost time once he gets to school because he never took an AP Lang and can't test out. Good luck and try and enjoy yourself. And get to school on time. It is a habit that will serve you well. Good luck.
  • Collegehelp4usCollegehelp4us Registered User Posts: 180 Junior Member
    Take the Spanish subject test. Certain scores will exempt you from taking it at Uva or you can take a placement test and place out. All good advice above. Agree with advice about ACT. See which score is better be ACT and Sat. You do t have to send both but send whatever is better.
  • chadhugh1chadhugh1 Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    edited April 19
    My school doesn't require 4 years in a language unless you you take two different ones. If you take the Spanish only 3 is neccessary, thank you all for the information! I'm going to take to the counslers about the "extra" AP's. My school doesn't allow us to take AP's in 10th grade only APHG
    Every school has a profile that schools refer to. SO if your school doesn't have Spanish 4 then UVA understands that . I agree with the other posters don't make yourself crazy and take so many APs that you cannot keep up. Assuming 3.83 is out of 4.0. Go online to Khan Academy and practice for the SAT. Take the ACT also and see which one works better for you and focus on that to see which score is higher. Look at all types of schools. Big, medium and small. You may surprise yourself to see what you like. ALso city versus closed campus. DOn't rule out private schools, sometimes the merit and financial aid ends up being the same as a state school. Have safety, target and reach schools to apply to. Good Luck
    My school does offer SPanish 4 and AP Spaish its just I'm not that great in Spanish. Thats actually whats bringing my GPA now.
    @chadhugh1 Uva does require 4 classes of Spanish but offers a placement test to see how many you need. I think if you take 3 years of spanish is probably ok but whatever class you take in it’s place should be something that wouldn’t be looked upon as an easy out, goid luck
    @Collegehelp4us do you think if I take Latin I they would frown Upon it? Its really hurting my grade point average
    Latin is not easy so my thought is that if languages are not your thing and thats Ok, stick with 3 years of spanish. Just curious why Honors Bio after ap bIO? isn't AP more advanced than honors why do both? would rather see you with AP econ than environmental science. Don't get hung up with all the AP classes unless you think you can handle it.
    @Collegehelp4us Okay I'll just stay with 3 years of spanish, because AP Bio is Bio I in depth and Bio II Honors is Anatomy and since I'm interested in medicine I want that to stay fresh. I took DE Econ and Pers Frianance over mmy sophmore summer, my school sadly doesnt have AP Econ, I honestly think I can get straight A's my Junior year because I took out AP Stats and added a Study Hall, taking AP Stats senior year instead of Art II !
    go over with a guidance counselor to make sure it is balanced. Good luck!