Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance Me! (International Relations/Government @ Georgetown, UCLA, etc.)

2»

Replies to: Chance Me! (International Relations/Government @ Georgetown, UCLA, etc.)

• PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 5,329 Senior Member
    If cost is not a concern, Georgetown will likely be an available option for you.
  • NJDad68NJDad68 Registered User Posts: 429 Member
    edited August 2018
    @awesomepolyglot, Tulane’s admit rate in 2018 was actually 17.5%. Here are the “facts and figures”from the admissions office. http://tuadmissionjeff.blogspot.com/2010/05/class-of-2022-facts-and-figures.html
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 5,737 Senior Member
    How firm are you in what you want to do?

I completely understand that GW is not an attractive school (esp compared to Georgetown & Dartmouth), but the internships are arguably even better than Georgetowns (partly b/c travel time is less but mostly b/c they are more flexible about term-time internships). I know several recent grads who had internships just about every semester + summers and walked straight into decent paid jobs in PP/IR after graduation. That might not sound that impressive from where you are, but the PP/IR field is notorious for extracting a lot of unpaid / poorly stipended labor from new entrants in the field. It is likely to be a solid option for you.

For Georgetown, are you looking at SFS or the College? SFS is the tougher admit- but is (imo) the better option.

Also, have you looked at JHU? It is a top IR school, has DC sites, and also has a 5 year combined BA/MA program/
  • gooplaystennisgooplaystennis Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    @collegemom3717 IR and diplomacy have been my passions for as long as I can remember. I think I’ll reconsider George Washington however, as it seems like there are strong opportunities there. I applied EA to Georgetown and to the SFS, it’s more difficult to get into, but I agree with you that it’s undoubtedly better. I have not looked into JHU either.

Secondarily, I’m putting my UofM grudge aside and applying there. I’m also considering William & Mary. I was caught off guard by the unlikelihood of getting accepted to most of these schools, thank you all for your help.
  • awesomepolyglotawesomepolyglot Registered User Posts: 3,822 Senior Member
    @NJDad68 Thanks for the correction, and for further supporting my point!
    @NJDad68 @awesomepolyglot I really did not realize how competitive Tulane had become! My mistake, my research could've been better. I have applied there anyway, as I wanted to utilize the free application fee. I assume that is related to their sharp decline in admissions.
    General update:
    I have taken UVA, Duke, and UNC off of my list. After realizing what UofM has to offer and other schools (thanks to a lot of you guys :)) it seems silly to go to any of the OOS publics that I just listed and my chances at Duke are poor at best. I have decided to apply to AU and GWU, as well as UofM, as these cater much better toward my interests and are not astronomical reaches. Thanks @Hoggirl and @collegemom3717 for the suggestions. Thanks for everyone’s help, and I hope other applying students have great luck in their college searches.
    I pulled the trigger on Dartmouth ED, as I looked into their economics program which excited me equally (if not more than) IR. And somehow, I got in!! Thank you all for giving me tips this past summer, and I hope everyone’s lives keep going great.
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 Registered User Posts: 5,737 Senior Member
    Congrats & thanks for coming back with an update! Have a great time in Hanover :-)
2»