Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance me for top CS schools!

Replies to: Chance me for top CS schools!

• GoBears2023GoBears2023 Forum Champion Summer Programs Posts: 558 Forum Champion
    @lookingforward Yes, I understand. Thanks for the advice!
  • DieLitDieLit Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Wow, just stalking your profile, and you've accomplished so much already! that's amazing, good luck to you!
  • HamurtleHamurtle Registered User Posts: 1,845 Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    It might be a reach, but Carnegie Mellon might be another option, but their CS program has Ivy acceptance rates.
  • GoBears2023GoBears2023 Forum Champion Summer Programs Posts: 558 Forum Champion
    @DieLit Thanks for your kind words!

@Hamurtle I am applying to CMU for CS. I want to do CS with Business :)
    UPDATE:

Will be second author for a paper with UWash professor
    Moved to Rank #1 at school (the previous #1 lowered his GPA by taking economics over the summer)
    Internship with venture capital firm
    UPDATE:

Rejected from Cornell.
  • SmallV5SmallV5 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    why you got rejected from Cornell??????Is that because you apply full scholarship??
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 31,201 Senior Member
    Sorry you're disappointed.

Now, for the next batch, get an idea what they do look for. It's not just stem related. They want a nice kid, rounded in the right ways, showing more than just stem drives. And especially in any Why Us. It's not just your wants, it's theirs. You can learn a lot from the MIT blogs, how unilateral seems so impressive, but misses other attributes and willingness they want.

Take another look at your CA essay, too. It's purpose is different than usual high school writing.
    And have safeties.
    Good luck.

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 74,569 Senior Member
    As far as "meeting financial need" goes, the college's definition of "need" may differ from yours, or other colleges'.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 4,578 Senior Member
    OP - I haven't totally read through your post but saw you did not get in ED to Cornell. Are you an international applicant living in CA or a US citizen of Tahitian decent? If you are an international student, the odds are slimmer. If you are a US citizen, then look at the acceptance rates for all your schools on your list. I would say that with your stats, your odds are better than most but reach schools are just that, reaches for everyone. I was glad to hear that you applied to UCs as well (hopefully a range of them) and have safety schools on your list.

@YvonneL - I'm an Ivy grad, married to an Ivy grad, from a family of Ivy grads. Our daughter chose Purdue HC. It was her top choice. For her field of engineering, they had a higher ranked program than our alma mater, a more focused curriculum, easier access to engineering programs and clubs for freshmen, better job placement supports and stats, etc..... She didn't apply to any Ivies. Only JHU made her list as a reach school but still wasn't her #1 (or even #2 which was Michigan). I've seen first hand the opportunities being afforded to our daughter at a big public as well as our Ivy (we're still very actively involved), and I will tell you that our daughter made the right decision and zero had to do with finances. If Purdue cost the same as our Ivy alma mater, we would still have gladly paid for her to go to Purdue.
  • 1NJParent1NJParent Registered User Posts: 845 Member
    How did a "chance" thread evolve into a debate over elite privates vs public flagships? Don't we have enough threads dedicated to this and other related topics?
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 37,896 Super Moderator
    edited December 2018
    MODERATOR'S NOTE: @lookingforward stated, "CC isn't for extended debate" and that is correct. The new user who started the debate has beeen banned.
    @momofsenior1 Cali, domestic.

UPDATE:

Accepted to UIUC CS
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 Registered User Posts: 1,327 Senior Member
    Congratulations on the UIUC acceptance. They have one of the top CS programs in the country!
  • wally1688wally1688 Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    UIUC normally doesn't give much FA to OOS students. I think you should be able to get into some other reach schools.