Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance me for top CS schools!

Replies to: Chance me for top CS schools!

• HamurtleHamurtle Registered User Posts: 2,058 Senior Member
    @GoBears2023 very well written and thought out response about the educational system. Your true calling might not be STEM as a CEO, but maybe as a president/chancellor of a university.
  • GoBears2023GoBears2023 Forum Champion Summer Programs Posts: 697 Forum Champion
    @Hamurtle
    I have honestly considered heading an educational institution, although I don't know how exactly I would get there. At the helm of a university, I would be able to shift the focus from academics to exploring, which would give students a lot more opportunities to grow academically and socially.
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 Registered User Posts: 3,255 Senior Member
    I see, I stand corrected.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,179 Senior Member
    At the helm of a university, I would be able to shift the focus from academics to exploring, which would give students a lot more opportunities to grow academically and socially.

But note that, for an existing university, the job may have more to do with managing bureaucracy, dealing with fiscal crises, and fighting pushback against even small changes to the way things were always done.

Also, the increasing financial pressures on students and families are pushing them in more pre-professional directions, resulting in less market appeal for less pre-professional college study at non elite colleges. So an alternative model may be more viable as a special program or division at an existing college (e.g. UCSB CCS) instead of a standalone college (e.g. Hampshire).
  • GoBears2023GoBears2023 Forum Champion Summer Programs Posts: 697 Forum Champion
    @ucbalumnus
    Sounds good! Yeah, now thinking about it, as a president, it would be mostly administrative stuff rather than making changes :(
  • nomanslandnomansland Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    Wait so can you make a list of what colleges you applied to, accepted to, rejected to, etc? I'm so confused by this thread and I don't wanna read all of the 9 pages.
    @nomansland
    Got it!

Accepted: USC (Scholarship for trustee's), Yale (likely call), Purdue, UIUC, UC Berkeley (Regent's and Chancellor's)
    Deferred: GaTech
    Rejected: Cornell
  • DieLitDieLit Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    I don't usually say things like this, but what would a college see wrong with you in order to reject you? Your grades, scores, and extracurriculars are all pristine, and you seem like someone really capable of real self-reflection. You're basically every college's dream applicant. I'm still confused why Cornell would reject you, and congrats on Yale and Cal!
    Thanks @DieLit!

Honestly, the college process is just like the lottery. Once you break the threshold, its just based on luck on where to go. Although I am really bummed out about not going to Cornell, it did have some benefits. Now at least I can see how far I can go in the college process. I'm right now 5/7, which isn't bad at all!
    At this point, I wouldn't really worry too much. I mean, you got in Yale and Berkeley, and I would be perfectly content with that.
    I think one reason why colleges might have denied you was because you were "too" good. Looking at your EC list and grades, I think colleges might have felt a like you were "expanding" your EC list and stretching the truth a bit. I mean, I believe you and all, but to colleges starting a business, volunteering at a shelter, starting a hundred thousand dollar company, and being Olympiad qualifiers might have raised a red flag...
    @nomansland Very true. Although I wasn't able to put everything down due to the constraints of the Common App. I mean I can see that happening honestly. It's fine. I'll just have to go with it.
    edited February 15
    UPDATE:

Based on the answers that are online, I believe that I will have a 130+ score on the AMC12A and a 140+ score on the AMC12B. LOL guessing all C's at the end paid off. I'll make another run for USAMO but I don't think I'll have the time to make it to MOP. I am very happy with my results and look forward to the AIME round! Super excited :D
  • hs2020kidhs2020kid Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    edited February 15
    (hope I am not hijacking the thread but since you brought up the AMC tests :)....)

^^about #133
    How about those C's at the end :)...wish I guessed this time - C is my fav guess answer but I didn't. I was really hoping to make it to USAMO and didn't take any chances. I think I am 120/108 in A/B. Thought B is slightly harder. May not make it to USAMO after all - lets see - want to do well in AIME though. Good luck in AIME/USAMO.

(sending a pm with a specific question)

• websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 2,070 Senior Member
    You will get into most of the schools if you write good essays.