Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance Me! Columbia GS,Eli Whitney Program, NYU Arts and Science, NYU SPS, The New School

mamabear336mamabear336 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hello, all. I've been scouring these pages for the last year, and I'm finally ready to see what you all might have to say about my chances.
I am a nontraditional student. After facing family difficulties, I dropped out of HS and received my GED in 2012. I am a single mom who returned to college in Spring of 2018 as a Writing and Literature Major at Borough of Manhattan Community College (BMCC.) Please "chance me" for admission to Columbia GS (this is my "dream"), The Eli Whitney Program at Yale, NYU Arts and Science, NYU SPS and The New School for Adults and Transfers.

Stats:
-GED recipient (scored close to a perfect score)
-no SATs/ACTs
-current 4.0 GPA at college
-recipient of college writing awards
-current college ambassador
-graduating both "with honors" and with an "honor degree" (designated to Honor's students who have completed 5 or more honor classes in their major)
-Valedictorian hopeful
-Member at Phi Theta Kappa
-involved in the Writer's Guild student organization
-plan to be a peer mentor next semester
-history of volunteer work at the LGBTQ HOP office of NYC for several years.

Being a nontraditional student, I feel inclined to include a little personal information about my background as that is in measure for most of the schools I am interested:
-lost mother at a young age
-estranged alcoholic father
-been living on my own since 17
-had a child at 20
-was previously morbidly obese, but since the birth of my child, have lost 240 pounds
-escaped my abusive partner and have been fighting them in court for the last year on both family and criminal offenses.
-have raised my son single handedly since his birth
-job experience in the beauty industry for both hair, makeup, and managerial work within NYC salons.

Okay guys, that's about it! Chance me!

Replies to: Chance Me! Columbia GS,Eli Whitney Program, NYU Arts and Science, NYU SPS, The New School

• leavemefreeleavemefree Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I can't speak to the other programs, but you should absolutely apply to GS! I think your chances are excellent.
  • SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 612 Member
    Assuming you’ve indicated some of your background in your essays, I think the kind of person who can overcome such struggles to be so successful in her current college is going to be a compelling admission story for most of those schools. Well done on what you’ve achieved, and good luck.