Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance Me: UC Berkeley, Brown, Baylor

UrsulaArmelUrsulaArmel Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hooks: low income, first gen, URS

I'm homeschooled so I don't have a GPA or anything like that. I did take AP Human Geography in middle school and I got a 5 but I haven't taken any AP's since. 1510 SAT, 800 Biology E, 800 Latin

Intended Major: Ecology

ECs:

Attended US Bouldering Nationals (1st place at States in Alaska)

Conducted research project in lab at University of Alaska Fairbanks (Junior and Senior years) on the migratory patterns of salmon, went to ISEF 2018 but didn't win anything there.

I haven't had many leadership opportunities since I'm not yet an adult, and kids don't really get any chance to lead in my community.

Essays:

I talked a lot about my nontraditional upbringing and experiences in my essays (e.g., living with my family in the woods, foraging for berries) and how it taught me to actively seek out an education for myself and how it gives me a unique perspective and skillset coming into college.

Recommendations:

I got one from the leader of the cohort of families who we travel with (it's not a cult I promise lol). He's really respected and it's a good rec but idk how much colleges care about that.

I also got a great letter from my research supervisor. He's an ecology prof at UAF so hopefully that helps.

Thanks a bunch :P really anxious about the college process. I wasn't able to apply during EA rounds to any of these schools so I really only have one shot.

Replies to: Chance Me: UC Berkeley, Brown, Baylor

• xenobia12xenobia12 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    you have a spike and some interesting extracurriculars. baylor is definitely a safety and very different from the other two schools, honestly. i don't know very much about how homeschooled students are admitted, especially in the uc system, but i think you have a pretty decent shot for both brown and berkeley. i applied to brown as well but haven't heard back yet. hope this was helpful
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC Posts: 24,611 Forum Champion
    edited January 11
    @UrsulaArmel: As an out of state applicant (assuming you are from Alaska), you should expect to be a full pay student at UC Berkeley since they have little to no financial aid (need-based and merit) to out of state students. I would run the Net Price calculator and even though you look like a competitive applicant, if you are low income paying $65K/year is definitely unaffordable.

https://saservices.berkeley.edu/calculator/

https://financialaid.berkeley.edu/meeting-nonresident-costs

URM is not a consideration for admission at UCB.
  • CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins Registered User Posts: 672 Member
    edited January 12
    Baylor & Brown are likely to be free and good smaller communities for a low income/first gen/ home schooled kid. UC Berkeley can be expensive for OSS and surely stressful and overwhelming.
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 2,771 Senior Member
    Baylor is a safety for you, but Brown is not (it is a reach), UCB won’t give you any money so I wouldn’t even apply.