Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Can I get into at least ONE of these schools?

Replies to: Can I get into at least ONE of these schools?

• collegemom9collegemom9 Registered User Posts: 455 Member
    Of the schools in your list, BU and Villanova would be the most likelies. Indiana would be a true safety, their admissions has become very non competitive. What about UMass Amherst?
  • MWolfMWolf Registered User Posts: 534 Member
    What major are you applying for?
  • 2020Nurse2020Nurse Registered User Posts: 18 Junior Member
    edited January 28
    I think you are panicking for no reason. Your stats are amazing, and I'm sure you'll get into BU, Villanova, BC and most likely a few more.
  • HamurtleHamurtle Registered User Posts: 1,837 Senior Member
    You definitely would have been a viable candidate for WashU if you applied ED1/ED2. Your stats are in-line. Hopefully the visit shows enough demonstrated interest for acceptance.
  • MrSamford2014MrSamford2014 Registered User Posts: 365 Member
    CC features no shortage of horror stories about high-stats kids who got shut out of ALL the schools where they applied. Indeed, this is one fact that led my daughter to over-apply--by a significant margin!--when she was a senior in HS.

While I don't think that you would be wrong to apply to a rock-solid safety like Clemson, my advice to you is to have a bit of confidence in the probabilities in play. With your GPA, class ranking, ACT, and serious commitment to writing (as evidenced in documented activities and accomplishments), I think that you are almost guaranteed a spot at Villanova and very likely to get into Boston University (and probably Boston College to boot). Of course, bad luck happens, but I think that that is where the probabilities lie.

Like UVA, W&M is a tough admit for out-of-state applicants, so I wouldn't be surprised if your UVA rejection was repeated at its peer VA school. Vanderbilt loves high stats, but it also heavily skews admissions towards ED applicants, so I would guess that you will also face rejection there.

I think you have a decent chance at WashU. My daughter had a similar profile, and a similar interest in creative writing, and she was accepted at WashU RD. Like you, she applied for a specific scholarship (which required a dedicated essay); I believe that that extra step in the application process served in part to signal her serious interest in the school--something that WashU is known to appreciate. I also don't think that Rice (where my DD ended up) is out of the question, though the admissions rate there is falling yearly and the new Director of Admissions seems to be emphasizing ED a bit more than was the case previously.

I agree with an earlier poster that Sewanee, which is noted for its literary traditions, might be worth applying to, assuming that you could get on board with the Southern-Anglican-meets-Hogwarts vibe and the rural isolation. However, the deadline is February 1, so you would need to hustle. Good luck!

• merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 9,268 Senior Member
    edited January 30
    Regarding your chances at WUStL, this seems favorable:

Other elite colleges [beyond the aforementioned Oberlin], including the University of Chicago, George Washington University, Washington University in St. Louis and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, have also extended their application deadlines this winter.

(WSJ.)
  • Houston1021Houston1021 Forum Champion Rice Posts: 885 Forum Champion
    edited January 30
    I agree with @MrSamford2014's assessments. If you applied to the School of Humanities at Rice, you should stand a pretty good chance at Rice. Rice gets more STEM applicants than Humanities applicants. Humanities applicants might have a slightly better chance there. My daughter is also a creative writing type and is an English/Psych double major at Rice. She is very involved with R2 (The Rice Review), Rice's creative writing publication, Rice has an excellent English department, although the number of students majoring in English pales in comparison to the premeds and engineers.

My daughter was also deferred from Yale SCEA. In the end, Rice was the perfect place for her, but it was a long wait from December to March, Fortunately she was admitted to her safety around Valentine's Day. Once she had her first acceptance, she could breathe a little easier. Like you, my daughter did not want to apply to our state flagship. It will all work out in the end.

This is a stressful time of year for those waiting on RD acceptances. Some of your friends and fellow students have already heard back from their schools and have made a decision while you have to wait until mid to late March. The waiting is the hardest part. If it makes you feel better, send in a few more apps.
  • elegantideaselegantideas Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Regarding majors: I want to do psychology/English, but I put undecided Arts and Sciences for many schools I applied to; should I contact admissions to change it? Thank you to everyone who replied and had some confidence in me. I did end up applying to the safeties I mentioned, so I will keep everyone updated.

Additionally, regional results for Scholastic Art and Writing came out today, and I got 2 gold awards, meaning those two works will move on to the national competition. Additionally, one work was nominated for the most prestigious award, American Voices, which 5 people from each region are nominated. Should I write to update admissions on this? I am going to be emailing Yale with a LOCI today in which I will include this info, but should I do this for other schools too?
  • BookLvrBookLvr Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    GREAT NEWS about Scholastic! I would absolutely update all your schools!
  • SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 1,048 Senior Member
    edited February 1
    I too think that you stand a really good chance at some of the schools you mentioned, but I’m also one of those people who does personally know someone with really good stats who got rejections from every reach *and* every match she applied to, so I’m a big believer in a safety school or two. (This person btw attended her safety for a year then transferred into a T20. She wasn’t applying out of her league. Sometimes someone just has a bad application cycle.) Congratulations on the scholastic awards, agree it’s worthy of an update. Good luck!
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 Registered User Posts: 1,165 Senior Member
    I am going to be emailing Yale with a LOCI today in which I will include this info, but should I do this for other schools too?

Yes! Congratulations on the awards, keep us updated!
  • Busybee01Busybee01 Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    I am sure you will end up at one of these schools. For your peace of mind though: apply to one safety with rolling admissions, get your acceptance letter soon, and enjoy the rest of the year. Once you get one acceptance letter, the worst thing that could happen would be to transfer later to a T20, or why not, become the star of the college, get merit scholarships and save money for an amazing graduate school.
  • elegantideaselegantideas Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Hi everyone! I've heard back from SLU and I was admitted! That is definitely a weight off my shoulders, as now I will be at least attending college somewhere! Also, if I put undecided arts and sciences/pyschology but am now leaning more toward humanities, should I write to colleges to change that major on my application or no? I wouldn't be going into a specific school like engineering or nursing, where it seems to be more rigid.
  • mamaedefamiliamamaedefamilia Registered User Posts: 3,186 Senior Member
    @elegantideas Congrats and I would not bother changing your major on your application as your current interests still fall within an A&S framework. Best of luck! You can now relax a little because you have an acceptance in hand.