Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chances at Purdue, Texas A&M, NYU, etc.for International Student

2»

Replies to: Chances at Purdue, Texas A&M, NYU, etc.for International Student

• GreymeerGreymeer Registered User Posts: 674 Member
    edited February 11
    ^ Purdue engineering admit rate is close to 50%.

So low safety.

The CS rate is around 30%.

Purdue CS Poster:

" it is 28% for Fall 2018. this is per Purdue poster in the CS building I personally have a photo of it from October 2018.

Poster says:
    Did you know?

4500+ applicants for Fall 2018
    330 incoming freshman
    28% admit rate
    1800+ total CS population"
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 5,503 Senior Member
    Just a caveat that the Purdue acceptance rate includes instate applicants. The stats for international students (still not clear to me how OP would be considered) is significantly lower.

Also, the number of applications continues to grow yearly so I see that acceptance number continuing to drop.

I would consider Purdue a match for this applicant but not a safety.
  • GreymeerGreymeer Registered User Posts: 674 Member
    If you read though the acceptances thread you'll find many accepted OOS engineering applicants with mid 1200 SATs. 1250 is the top 25%. So if you are in the top 25% of your class you have a very good shot.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 5,503 Senior Member
    edited February 11
    Along with others with students with 1400+ SATs who were rejected....

I do think this OP will be competitive for Purdue. Just don't agree that it's a safety. (BME is also one of the more competitive majors within COE.)

• iwantcollegeplziwantcollegeplz Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    @iamdaone

it is less competitive for the lower UCs.
    At my school(international), ucsd, ucd, and UCI can be considered safeties, but the sat average(admitted students 1560) for UCLA is significantly higher than the American Average
    @momofsenior1 @Greymeer
    Please not that Purdue is not a safety for International Students.

I'm from China, where it is equally as competitive as India(Where OP is applying from)
    The SAT average for students admitted to Purdue at my school is 1398, and they have rejected 60% applicants with sat lower than 1350.

• iamdaoneiamdaone Registered User Posts: 25 Junior Member
    @iwantcollegeplz yeah exactly. I know I have no chance at UCLA and Berkely so I'll be applying to Davis, Irvine as well as San Diego. Keeping Santa Cruz and SJSU as absolute safety schools. But are you sure that UC San Diego is a safety school? It's quite competitive! And if so, what are the average SAT scores for international students?
  • iamdaoneiamdaone Registered User Posts: 25 Junior Member
    @momofsenior1 @Greymeer @iwantcollegeplz Just to clarify, the following safety schools for me at the moment are:
    Texas A&M, UC Santa Cruz, San Jose State University, University of Arizona, and hopefully UC Davis.
    And I've made a mistake in my post. My SAT score isn't 1460, but 1480. My bad.
    Any other colleges you'd guys recommend me to apply to?
    @iamdaone
    Let me check.
    I'm from China so it might be a little bit different in India, but I would assume these two regions to be equally competitive.

These data are accepted student profiles from my school(top three high school in China)

Average Acceptances from 2013-2018
    Texas A&M: 1375 3.66

UCSC: 1370 3.69

UCD: 1425 3.89

UCSD: 1490 4.04

University of Arizona: 1329, 3.39

No data represented for sjsu

I wouldn't consider UC Davis and UCSD ur absolute safety, but it's a solid match!

• SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 1,587 Senior Member
    I find some of these comments really interesting. My daughter is at a competitive Bay Area high school and even they are told to consider almost no UCs (other than M & R) as safeties. Internationals will have some admissions advantage being full pay but even so I find the idea of schools like UCSD and UCD being “safeties” curious. Maybe @Gumbymom can comment, being a UC expert?

• GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC Posts: 26,771 Forum Champion
    @iamdaone: You would be considered OOS for the UC’s and SJSU. An advantage since you are full pay and your stats do make you competitive. I would say UC Davis is a Match and not a safety. UCSC is probably close to a safety but the Engineering majors are still very competitive.

UCSD would definitely not be a safety school since all Engineering majors are Capped majors (impacted). UCSD admits into the university first then into the major, so you could be accepted but not into your major choice and then would have to try and switch majors which is difficult.

Below is some UC admit data. Engineering majors required higher than average stats for the best chances and none of the data is major specific.

2018 UC capped weighted GPA averages:
    UCB: 4.23
    UCLA: 4.23
    UCSD: 4.16
    UCSB: 4.13
    UCI: 4.13
    UCD: 4.11
    UCSC: 3.96
    UCR: 3.81
    UCM: 3.71

2018 Data:
    25th - 75th percentiles for SAT: