Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Will a C+ hurt my chances at Ivies and other colleges?

knowledgeknowsknowledgeknows Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
Hey, so I’m already in my safety (UMich, is a safety because I’m in already), but I’m afraid for my decisions from Dartmouth, Cornell, Johns Hopkins, USC, NYU, Northwestern, and Notre Dame because of my senior mid-year grades. They are:

AP Calculus - C+
Anatomy - B+
AP Lit - B+
AP Micro - A-
Visual Basic - A-
AP Physics - B-

I don’t have a reason for these grades, I was busy but that’s no excuse. I have recieved all A’s in high school with the exception of a few B’s. Are my chances completely ruined at these schools from a look at mid-year grades alone? My SAT was a 1440 (750 Math and 690 English) and ACT was a 31 (35 English, 33 Math, 30 Reading, 25 Science)

Replies to: Will a C+ hurt my chances at Ivies and other colleges?

• knowledgeknowsknowledgeknows Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    ***All undecided majors (except the ones that don’t allow that where I picked Astronomy)
    ***Resident of Michigan, white, male, not asking for financial aid
  • HamurtleHamurtle Registered User Posts: 1,710 Senior Member
    edited February 11
    You’re in at Michigan so I would go with that.

A C+ does not bode well for Top-20 acceptances.

TBH your standardized tests are low so the Ivies/Top 20s are going to be a reach. USC as well.

NYU is a high match/low reach.
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 Registered User Posts: 1,158 Senior Member
    The C+ should be okay. It doesn't look good, but colleges understand Calculus BC is a very challenging class. Your test scores OTOH are low for the other schools on your list.
  • IceBuffaloIceBuffalo Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I know Cornell requires them pretty late so definitely for that one. I have no experience with the rest
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,508 Senior Member
    edited February 12
    Everyone's busy. But "all A's with the exception of a few B's" and a C+, and a 1440 doesn't sound to me like a slam dunk at Ivies.

You won't know till you know. But it sounds as though you're already in to a fabulous school-- so don't sweat the rest of the results.

Good luck.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 40,144 Super Moderator
    edited February 14
    MODERATOR'S NOTE
    OP has created multiple accounts which is a ToS violation. Closing thread.
This discussion has been closed.