Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

The Fear for The Future

RedX13RedX13 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited March 14 in What Are My Chances?
Hello, I am a High School Junior who simply just fears about the college applications. I am not someone that fits well with the public school system, being placed into classes that are not necessary or just difficult for me in general (I believe I might have ADHD but i have not been checked yet}

I am someone who is amazingly well in math and physics (also first chair in Orchestra), being able to skip classes towards advance ones, with a background that lacks much money. As I pursue my interest into majoring in Pure Math and Theoretical Physics, it lingers how the way the school system does not efficiently take my personality well might severely harm me, as i struggle in English and History with the way I learn. It almost brings me to tears on how the way school system does not work for me efficiently has made me struggle, with months feeling like a failure and hopeless in classes that were to hard for me to learn naturally or in classes that was not even interested.(This year i was placed into two computer based classes with I did not need at all and had severe problems with still). I know i'm exaggerating my overall views, but it simple feels as that the way I learn and subjects I am excellent at just aren't important in the eyes of my school.

I have skipped Algebra 2, Physics 1, and currently taking AP Stats and AP Physics C, and basically have enough required credits to graduate already but I have been told I couldn't not; now stuck taking elective classes Senior year. I'll be taking 5 AP exams, with one being Calc BC, as my school didn't have enough room for me to enroll so i decided to just take the exams instead of waiting next year. I have and still am doing self studying in math and physics to help me learn in advance and to skip classes. There are also teachers who know how smart I am in math and physics, including teachers who i never enrolled too. I won't go in to much detail in my academic history but I hope this will suffice.

Knowing I don't do well in English and thus writing, I hope people who read this will understand how I feel about my situation. I just want to know if and how can I succeed when my grades aren't reflecting on what kind of a person I am academically

(Sorry if this felt like a ramble, I'll revise it after I get more used to this forum. Thank you so much)

Replies to: The Fear for The Future

• hamiltonfan1780hamiltonfan1780 Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    I can relate to this 100%. Im very good at history and english but my school is slanted towards their STEM programs, with all of the so-called "smart" kids being good at everything but especially STEM, with me feeling stupid because im not good at math even though im in the top 40% of my class because of my memorization and writing skills. But you have to look at it like this - colleges arent looking only at your academics. They look at everything, including your strengths. There are going to be people at college who are good at what you are, and even if you arent good at history and english, colleges will still see how amazing you are in math and physics. Trust me, I wish I was good at the things you are. Ive gotten into 5 schools because I made sure that they knew how dedicated I was to history. I played on my strengths, not my weaknesses, and I think if you do the same thing, you will be fine! Good luck with the rest of this year! :)
  • sylvieiasylvieia Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    You're going to do fantastic! Honestly what did the most for me was my essay. You seem like an amazing person who is driven and knows what they want to do with their life, which is going to reflect very highly on you both in your essays and your recs. I can see how your writing doesn't totally flow, but start early working on the essays and short answers to the colleges you're interested and get lots of help. You can also probably write a killer essay or short answer about how english and writing are hard for you but you know they're important so you are persevering whilst taking those classes.