Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do I have a chance at top-tier selective colleges?

runklirunkli Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited May 14 in What Are My Chances?
GPA: 3.95
SAT: 1570
I play piano for 8+ years. I'm in debate team and jazz team. I'm a good team member but not much of leadership roles. Do I have a chance at any of the top-tier colleges including ivies and alikes such as Stanford, Duke etc?

Replies to: Do I have a chance at top-tier selective colleges?

• happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,191 Forum Champion
    edited May 14
    With acceptance rates generally under 10%, the chances for anyone at those schools is small. Your grades and standardized test scores are high but I don't see any standout/leadership type activity that would set you apart from the many other very well qualified applicants.

Be sure to create a well rounded list that includes reach, match and safety schools that appear affordable (run Net Price Calculators) and that you would be excited to attend.
  • TheSATTeacherTheSATTeacher Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    A top 25 school or selective LAC is doable. Try to do something interesting with your summer to make your app standout more. Also, make sure to write really good essays that show off who you are.