Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Starting Over

j33o21j33o21 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
So I recently left my Doctor of Physical Therapy program because of mental health issues. I wasn't happy anymore and my health really affected my grades, dropping me to like around a 2 something GPA. I'm now looking into becoming a science teacher and getting a master's in education. I know most universities require a letter of recommendation, but i wouldn't even know who to ask because I'm scared that my PT professors may not give the best of recommendations since I did so poorly this last year. I have no idea what to do right now or how to even proceed. Any advice?

Replies to: Starting Over

  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 13,685 Forum Champion
    Did you major in science in your undergraduate degree?
    Then if you want to get a master's in education just get recommendations from your undergraduate professors.
    Also get your mental health in check before you go back to school.
  • agreatstoryagreatstory Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    You are carrying shame. Make a decision to drop that unnecessary baggage right now in order to free your mind and clear a path forward. Get help if needed.

    There are no perfect people with flawless histories walking this earth or buried under it, not a single one. We all fall down on life's journey. Then, we learn. We get back up for another try. Hopefully, a better try.

    Fear not. If you want to know if your professors are willing and able to give you positive recommendations, then ask them.
  • RoaringMiceRoaringMice Registered User Posts: 662 Member
    Don't get reccs from your DPT program. Ask your undergrad professors instead. It is normal and fine to reach back to your undergrad profs for this, even years after you graduate.

    I'd suggest that you take some time off before you jump into another program. Work for a bit, get your health issues under control. You may be able to get a job as a science teacher in a private school, just as you are, and that might allow you to get an idea if teaching is the right field for you, without having to make an investment of $$$ into a masters program quite yet.
Sign In or Register to comment.