right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Cheerleader; Chance me!

h8annahh8annah 58 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
Hi, I'm a rising senior from CT interested in a astrophysics or electrical engineering major.
Rice (Applying ED), WashU, MIT, UT Austin, SMU, WPI, RPI, Uconn, UHouston.
Rice is my #1 school. I visited once in April, and will be back in September for another tour and on-campus interview. I am going to make sure to emphasize my passion for the school in the essays. WashU is probably my second choice.
STATS
Class rank - 2/320
ACT (1 sitting - retaking July 13): 32: 35E, 34M, 33S, 27R (worried about reading score)
SAT II - Chem (740), awaiting Physics and Math 2
GPA/Transcript: Nothing lower than A-, unweighted 3.96, weighted 4.289, College GPA is 4.0
I've taken the highest level of every class offered. Listed are APs/DE
9: Dual Enrollment French I & French II (only freshman allowed to enroll through DE)
10: AP Chem (5), AP Stats (5), APUSH, also took French 4 H
11: AP Euro (5), US Gov (5), Independent Study in AP Calc BC (4), Physics 1 (4), English Lang (4); DE in Elementary Arabic I & II
12: APES, AP Psych, AP English Lit, Independent Study AP Physics C: E/M, M, Intermediate Arabic I& II (dual enrollment), DE Differential Equations
AWARDS:
URochester's Bausch + Lomb Honorary Science Award
Academic All-Conference Cheerleader
Top Scholar Awards
ECs
I'm most worried about my ECs b/c cheer literally had taken over my life. We had days with 5 hour practices on school nights. My mom also isn't home a lot and my parents are divorced, and I generally don't have a ride to things, which also hinders my ability.
1) FALL VARSITY CHEERLEADING - 9, 10, 11
*Season ran from the week after school's completion in June through Thanksgiving
*About 10-15 hours/week
* UCA All-American Cheerleader
2) WINTER VARSITY CHEERLEADING - 9, 10
*Season ran from the week before Thanksgiving through first week of March
*Competition (had to try out to be on Comp team - higher level), Basketball Games
*About 15-25 hours depending on the week
~kind of worried the fact that I didn't try out for winter junior year might hurt me, but the team turned veryyy toxic and I wanted to just focus on school at that point~
3) STUDENT DEMO - 12
*Volunteer position for a local Youth Cheerleading Team
*Runs August thru Nov/Dec
4) Debate Club - 9, 10, 11, 12 (Co-President jr. and sr year)
*Informal club, duties included running meetings, scheduling, and research
*1-2 hrs a week, only during school year
5) Tutor (both volunteer through Peer Tutor Club and Paid Out of School)
6) French Honor Society (president), English, Math, Science, National
Thank you so much! If you want to reverse chance me, that's great too! :)
6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Cheerleader; Chance me!

• h8annahh8annah 58 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
    Oh, and my recs are from my Physics teacher (should be good), AP Euro teacher (who I've known since freshman year), and my counselor one should be pretty good since I check in with her a lot.
    · Reply · Share
  • Houston1021Houston1021 1048 replies13 discussionsForum Champion Rice Posts: 1,061 Forum Champion
    edited July 9
    Rice plays in Division 1 and has cheerleaders for many of the sports, including volleyball, football and men's and women's basketball. Your skill and dedication to this activity may make you stand out from the majority of Rice and Wash U applicants. Wash U also has a cheer team. One of my daughter's friends from high school is on the Wash U cheer squad.

Hopefully your reading score will come up when you retake the ACT. The ACT is a speed exercise. Do lots of timed practice tests for the reading section to improve your speed. Read the questions first before reading the passage. Then hone in on the portion of the passage mentioned in the question to look for the answer. http://cheer.rice.edu https://www.washubears.com/athletics_department/cheerleading
    edited July 9
    · Reply · Share
  • HamurtleHamurtle 2216 replies30 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,246 Senior Member
    Also a warning about the WashU Physics department-it’s not the most female friendly. For a while there were no women tenure track faculty and there is a professor in the department known for sexist viewpoints.
    · Reply · Share
  • h8annahh8annah 58 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
    @Hamurtle wow, I did not know that! Thanks for letting me know
    · Reply · Share
  • HamurtleHamurtle 2216 replies30 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,246 Senior Member
    edited July 14
    @h8annah the Engineering department at WasU is more diverse, although there are probably more female BME majors than Electrical or CompSci, although my son (CompSci minor) says that there are girls in his classes and there are female TAs in the CompSci classes.

WashU Engineering is fine, but BME is probably the preeminent major there and EECS is less well known.
    edited July 14
    · Reply · Share
  • retiredfarmerretiredfarmer 1010 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,012 Senior Member
    Just thought this list from WPI may be of interest. You can see what undergraduates in astrophysics and EE actually do.

For astrophysics see https://www.wpi.edu/search/google/astrophysics#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=astrophysics&gsc.sort=

For EE see https://www.wpi.edu/academics/departments/electrical-computer-engineering

For cheerleading see https://wpi.campuslabs.com/engage/organization/cheerleading

Average unweighted GPA @ WPI is 3.9
    · Reply · Share