right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Chance Me for MIT, UCB, UMich, Purdue, Ga. Tech

thegrandestproofthegrandestproof 5 replies3 postsRegistered User New Member
Hi, I'm an incoming senior and so far these are my stats. I've done a lot of research on the college process but I'm still lost on what tier of colleges I should call a safety and what I should call a target based on my stats. I'm interested in majoring in electrical engineering and eventually working in the aerospace sector. Can you help chance me and give me some strong matches based on my profile?

Ethnicity: Asian American
State: Louisiana
GPA: 4.00 UW, 4.671 W
Rank: school doesn't disclose class rank, but likely valedictorian
APs: Calc BC (5), APUSH (5), Art History (5), English Lang (4), Physics: M (4)
ACT: 36 English 36 Math 36 Reading 33 Science; Composite: 35
SAT IIs: 800 in Math II, taking Chemistry in August
ECs:
-Mu Alpha Theta (math honors society):
+Steering Committee (2017-18)
+Vice President of school club (2018-19)
+Secretary (2019-20)
-Girls Who Code:
+Treasurer (2018-19)
-Latin Club:
+Art Historian (2017-18)
+Tech Coordinator (2019-20)
-FIRST Robotics:
-Parts Fabricator (2017)
-Summer day camp counselor at my high school (fr. - sr. yr)
-Girls On The Run volunteer
-Lab volunteer at LSU EECS labs (2018)
-Internship at NASA Michoud (2019)
Awards:
-National Center of Women & Information Technology Regional Affiliate Award
-Numerous awards from Mu Alpha Theta on regional, state, national level (1st place regional many times, 1st and 2nd place individual state different years, 13th-15th place national different years different topics)
-Perfect score on National Latin Exam (2017), Gold medal on National Latin Exam (2018-19)
-Numerous awards at Louisiana JCL convention (2nd in Academics, 6th overall)

Jobs:
-Nothing Bundt Cakes (bakery): 2018
-Starbucks barista: starting in August 2019
25 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chance Me for MIT, UCB, UMich, Purdue, Ga. Tech

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 6609 replies39 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    You have a reach heavy list bu,t could be competitive for any of these schools. (Purdue would probably be the closest to a match but still not a gimme for OOS engineering).

Matches to consider based on your current list -
    UMD CP (similar feel to Purdue, Michigan, GT and like Purdue, very strong aero industry ties).
    RPI

In general, no matter what your stats, look at overall acceptance rates to determine your reach/match/safeties. And for Flagships, you need to look at the OOS acceptance rates specifically for engineering. The guide my D used was any school with under a 25% acceptance rate she considered a reach, 26- 60% acceptance rate were various levels of match, and 61% and over we considered safeties.

She used a regional university with rolling admission in our home state as her safety, and then Clarkson U.

If you are needing financial aid or are chasing merit, you need different targets.

· Reply · Share
  • thegrandestproofthegrandestproof 5 replies3 postsRegistered User New Member
    I am also planning to apply to Texas A&M, UT Austin, UA Huntsville, and Louisiana Tech but I just wanted to see if my reaches were too far fetched or in line of reality. Thank you for the extra suggestions, I'll look into their programs!
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 3663 replies9 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 19
    Detailed UMich Class of 2023 stats aren't available yet, but for the Class of 2022, the OOS acceptance rate was 19%. And UMich's CoE will be even more difficult, since they're simply far less seats available. You definitely have a great profile, but unfortunately, even students with great profiles like yours will be deferred and/or rejected.
    edited July 19
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom 27415 replies142 postsForum Champion UC Forum Champion
    You are a very competitive applicant but make sure UCB is affordable at around $65K/year with little to no financial aid. With your stats, there are better options that would give you need-based and/or merit aid than UCB.

Best of luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • GreymeerGreymeer 733 replies9 postsRegistered User Member
    Chances:
    MIT, UCB < 10%
    GT, Michigan < 20%
    Texas < 30%
    Purdue < 40%
    A&M < 70%
    UAH < 80%
    LT in for sure.

Eng Enrollment:
    A&M ~13000 (spread around 3 or 4 satellite campuses)
    GT 9500
    Purdue 9000
    Michigan 6500
    Texas 6000
    UCB 5200
    MIT 3000
    LT 2300
    UAH 2100

You should add LSU they have an enrollment of 5000.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 3675 replies16 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    The above advice is right on. Look at @momofsenior1 advice. Use that guide when looking at colleges. Colleges ranked lower but in the top 50 (and lower) will give 1/2 - to full scholarships.
    Your top 5 are pretty typical and I would put UTexas in that grouping. They are all flip of a coin. It can easily go either way. Your profile is great/impressive . Apply early to where you can.
    Alabama, Purdue (just due to shear amount of kids they take), LT and Texas Am are to me more acceptances but Texas Am can be fickle with OOS also.
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 19
    Eng Enrollment:
    Michigan 6500

Total undergraduate enrollment for UMich Engineering only is 7,133 students. The Engineering enrollment for just the Class of 2022 was 1,363 students. The entire Class of 2022 is/was 6,695 students at UMich.
    edited July 19
    · Reply · Share
    https://engineering.purdue.edu/Engr/AboutUs/FactsFigures/EnrollmentAndDegrees/2017-enrollment
    Lots of students at Purdue so I assume a better overall chance to get accepted.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 6609 replies39 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I haven't seen official figures for Purdue engineering but the acceptance rate 2 cycles ago for engineering was 37%. They accepted fewer students this last cycle because they missed on their yield number the year before, so I expect to hear that the number is lower. It's been trending down for years.

If Purdue stays on your list, make sure you apply EA. It's the only way to be considered for honors college and the small number of merit awards. They also fill the majority of the class EA (non binding).
    · Reply · Share
  • GreymeerGreymeer 733 replies9 postsRegistered User Member
    edited July 19
    ^ the enrollment numbers I posted are *official* ASEE numbers submitted by the colleges (Michigan) for national statistics for 2018 publication.

I doubt Michigan increased eng enrollment by 1k in one year 2019.

As of 2019, and updated in February this year the ×combined× Michigan Eng+CS undergrad enrollment statistic is 6300. The additional 800 of the 7100 quoted above are probably Minors or Double Majors being double counted. Michigan includes 1500 CS in that number so actual Michigan engineering is smaller around 4800.

Here are the Michigan ASEE eng stats...
    http://profiles.asee.org/profiles/8144/screen/20?school_name=University+of+Michigan

You can also download a compiled PDF with all the stats here for most colleges...
    https://www.asee.org/papers-and-publications/publications/college-profiles

Look halfway down the page for "engineering by the numbers".

In this document Michigan Engineering is listed as having 6409 ugrads. But that includes CS.

So by listing Mich at 6500 instead of the actual 4800, I was being overly generous.
    edited July 19
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 19
    The additional 800 of the 7100 quoted above are probably Minors or Double Majors being double counted.

Thanks, for the clarification. I don't know. My information came from the UMich Engineering site: https://www.engin.umich.edu/about/facts/

CS is run by the Engineering School, so the 7,133 appears to include CS majors.

My kid is a student in the Class of 2022, LSA STEM, so not engineering, and the materials UMich handed all of us last year, which I have here, show 1,363 students (of a class of 6,695) enrolled as engineering undergrads.
    edited July 19
    · Reply · Share
    Looks like a call /email to Michigan to get the correct facts is due. 😉📞
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77103 replies671 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I am also planning to apply to Texas A&M, UT Austin, UA Huntsville, and Louisiana Tech

The Texas publics use class rank instead of GPA. If none is provided, they will somehow make a class rank for you. Texas A&M has automatic admission for top 25% with high enough test scores (your ACT qualifies), but not necessarily for admission to engineering. UT Austin does not have automatic admission for non-Texas applicants.

UAH gives you a tuition scholarship and two years housing for your stats: https://www.uah.edu/admissions/undergraduate/financial-aid/scholarships/freshmen/freshmen-merit-tuition-scholarships

Louisiana Tech gives you a $9,500 scholarship (almost as much as tuition) for your stats: https://www.latech.edu/admissions/freshman-scholarships/

Note that Purdue and Texas A&M admit to first year engineering programs but then have high college GPA requirements to declare your specific major (3.2 at Purdue, 3.5 at Texas A&M). With lower college GPA than that, students must apply for competitive admission to majors that have remaining space.
    · Reply · Share
  • supernovacoachsupernovacoach 103 replies2 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Michigan for sure. UCB and up are a toss up, and it will come down to your essays. How do you plan to stand out from the crowd?
    · Reply · Share
  • yucca10yucca10 1214 replies36 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Michigan is never "for sure" for an OOS student.
    @supernovacoach I think you write a lot of comments trying to convince people that essays are the most important part of their application. While essays are certainly important, there are lots of other moving parts in an application. Specifically for UMich, they practice yield protection, so any student who has a credible shot at T10 has to convince them he/she will attend UMich if admitted.
    · Reply · Share
    Yeah and how does one go about convincing UM that they want to attend?
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 22
    Demonstrating interest by visiting campus, having your school counselor contact a UMich admissions counselor and/or writing a LOCI, assuming an applicant is deferred during EA, which most are.
    edited July 22
    · Reply · Share
    Seriously? You are telling me a 4.61 W/ 4.0 UW, 35 ACT with a GREAT ESSAY is getting deferred EA by UM. This is a joke!!
    · Reply · Share
    Yep! Please educate yourself just by looking at the last few years deferral threads. Can't imagine that all had bad essays.
    · Reply · Share
    I can imagine it just fine.
    · Reply · Share