right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

admission odds for an Asian American?:(

rnjsgpskrnjsgpsk 2 replies3 postsRegistered User New Member
edited August 12 in What Are My Chances?
Hellooo
Im an Asian American
I took seven AP classes so far and passed all of them & I will be taking five my senior year. I also took all honors before AP classes.

GPA: 3.8 UW, 4.5 W (I got quite a few Bs that brought my GPA down)
ranked 25/500ish
ACT: 34 Super-scored

failed all subject tests, will take Math II again hopefully

leadership: class council two years, ASB one year, club president, club activities director, club project coordinator for two years

awards: second place in district essay contest, California federal young artist recognition and first place in conservation message, encouragement award for an art contest from a local newspaper

im planning to directly apply to business to all the schools - private and public
my top choices: UC Berkeley, USC, UMich, Emory, Carnegie, Northeastern, UVA, U of Notre Dame, NYU, Tufts
match/safety-ish: Villanova, Case Western, Barnard, BC,BU

what do you think are my realistic goals? and colleges that I should apply to?

edited August 12
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: admission odds for an Asian American?:(

• GumbymomGumbymom 27417 replies142 postsForum Champion UC Forum Champion
    UCB is not direct admit for Business. The business major is in a separate division and admits students in a competitive holistic process. Frosh intending business majors begin in another division (usually L&S), take the business major prerequisites, and apply (usually in their second years). They also need to take prerequisites for a backup major in case they are not admitted to the business major.
    I cannot comment on the other schools on your list, but you are competitive for UCB and USC. Not sure how you can fail Subject tests and I am assuming you just do not have competitive scores >700.
    What is your UC GPA’s: Capped weighted, Fully weighted and Unweighted? UCB does not superscore so what is your highest ACT composite?

I really do not see any safety schools on your list and no EC’s that are Business related. I would add a couple of more UC’s to your list which have Business schools like UC Irvine and UC Riverside.
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 3671 replies9 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    At UMich, you will apply to a home school (LSA, CoE, etc.) and apply preferred admission to Ross. The average GPA and ACT score for the entire Class of 2023 was 3.9 and between 32-35. UMich doesn’t use weighted GPA and doesn’t superscore. OOS applicants will skew at the higher end of those stats as do applicants accepted to Ross Preferred admission. The OOS acceptance rate was 19% for the Class of 2022. You can be accepted to your home school, but not Ross preferred admission. UMich and UMich Ross will be a reach to high reach.

Lastly, Michigan is a public school and can not admit based on race, ethnicity, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • Gogreen19Gogreen19 24 replies0 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    When you say 'passing' your APs, I assume you mean above a 3, but that doesn't help us much. Please provide the names of the AP courses and the specific scores for each, as that will help us help you better.

Also, when you say club president, club activities director etc. it is important to know which club(s) you are talking about. Please provide this as well.

This information aside, the best advice I can give you is that you seem to lack the business spike that elite colleges are looking for to admit. As in, you don't seem to have any ECs relating to business specifically, or anything showing that you've specialized in that in HS. Perhaps consider changing your intended major to economics, as a lot of things can be spun to relate to that. For example, if you organized club events including finances, you can relate that to economic planning (for the highly competitive business schools you mentioned, you'd need to be a lot more specific in your ECs)

Also, econ programs tend to be in the regular undergraduate colleges or colleges of arts and sciences, which for several on your list means the liberal arts curriculum, for which colleges prefer students with more diverse qualifications anyway (which helps you). You can always apply to change to the business school later.

Also, Tufts doesn't have a business school or major even. I suggest applying to Emory ED since it is liberal arts in its college of Arts and Sciences, which also houses the econ program, and offers a liberal arts curriculum. I think it is the top choice you would probs have the best chance at. Hope this helped!
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 28768 replies56 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 13
    I think you need to do a lot more research into those schools on your list. Do theyball have business schools? Can you direct admit to them? If you don’t show a modicum of knowledge of how thingswork at selective colleges, that can eliminate you right there.

What do you mean you “passed” the AP exams and “failed” SAT2s? Some of these schools recommend and maybe require the SATs. Not so much the APs. Which AP courses did you take?

It’s fine that you are applying to these schools. But in additional to researching them carefully , you really should be looking for at least one school that meets all of your requirements and will certainly accept you. All of these schools are reaches when it comes to their business schools (except perhaps Villanova, as a strong match —except for demonstrated interest ) and it is entirely possible that you do not get accepted to any of them. That safety school is the one that is often the most difficult to find because many students are hung up by selectivity which is the very feature you need to take out of the picture when choosing that school. If you can apply early to that school, or better, yet, schools, and get it nailed down, you are in great shape to apply with impunity to all of these reaches.

Also, can you afford all of these schools? Have you discussed with your parents how much they are able and willing to pay?
    edited August 13
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77125 replies671 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 13
    sushiritto wrote: »
    Lastly, Michigan is a public school and can not admit based on race, ethnicity, etc.

Michigan does not consider race/ethnicity, but that is not true of all public schools.

Michigan does consider legacy.

See section C7 of its CDS: https://obp.umich.edu/wp-content/uploads/pubdata/cds/cds_2018-2019_umaa.pdf
    edited August 13
    · Reply · Share
  • calmomcalmom 20489 replies166 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    You need to reevaluate your idea of match/safety. Barnard is a reach for most students and definitely a reach for you -- and Barnard doesn't have a business major. It is definitely much more selective than several of the colleges you listed as your top choices. I can't comment on all the other schools, but I do think that you have an overly optimistic list and could use some true safeties.
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 3671 replies9 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @ucbalumnus Which public universities, on record, admit based upon race and ethnicity?
    Michigan does consider legacy

Yes, that’s what the CDS states about legacy status at UMich, but....
    does Michigan consider legacy status today? Rick Fitzgerald, a spokesman, told Inside Higher Ed that legacy status is used for only two purposes. He said that the college does want to acknowledge family relationships to alumni when communicating with parents of applicants about the admissions process. Further, he said that legacy status is an important factor in calculating yield, the percentage of admitted applicants who enroll. Legacy applicants who are admitted enroll at a higher rate than do other applicants. So it's important for enrollment planners to know whether those in the applicant pool are legacies, he said.

But he insisted that legacy status plays no role in actual admissions decisions.
    As to the FAQ suggesting otherwise, he said that "perhaps we can do a better job of spelling that out."

https://www.insidehighered.com/admissions/article/2019/03/25/u-michigan-says-it-doesnt-consider-legacy-status-admissions-some

And anecdotally, there were several high stat legacies denied admission in the last cycle, Class of 2023, here on CC.
    · Reply · Share
    edited August 16
    @ucbalumnus Which public universities, on record, admit based upon race and ethnicity?

Examples:
    Pennsylvania State University: https://factbook.psu.edu/CDSRedesign/cds.aspx?reportindicator=FreshAdmn&Location=UP&AY=20182019
    University of Illinois: http://www.dmi.illinois.edu/stuenr/misc/cds_2018_2019.xlsx
    University of North Carolina: https://oira.unc.edu/files/2019/02/CDS_2018-2019_20190213.pdf
    University of Texas: https://utexas.app.box.com/v/CDS2017
    University of Virginia: https://ias.virginia.edu/cds-2018-19
    edited August 16
    · Reply · Share

Note that the article shows other indications, including an FAQ on Michigan's web site, that say that legacy is considered at Michigan. It looks like the removal of legacy consideration at Michigan could be a very recent thing that may not be reflected in all places on Michigan's web site, CDS, etc..
    · Reply · Share