right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

I know we’re in the ballpark but...

helpingmom40helpingmom40 59 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
I am new to CC and I’m just looking for some reassurance that we are on the right path for my daughter, a rising senior.
*GPA is 95.468/100 (school doesn’t weight but does remove gym and health from the calculation)
*ranked 21/281
*SAT 1460 (680 math/780 EBRW)
*assured by GC that schedule and courseload is “most demanding”, one study hall in 4 years, 6 AP classes (completed World History, APUSH, AP Lit: all scores of 5, senior year - Gov, Macroeconomics and Lang), 4 years of lab science (earth science, honors bio, honors chem, physics), 5 years of math (alg 1 & 2, geometry, pre-Calc and IB Math Studies), 5 years of French including DE for 100-Level at CC and 2 years of DE at SUNY for 200-levels. One thing to point out is she has not been able to take AP sciences or Calc because of scheduling conflicts (orchestra and/or foreign language scheduled in the same blocks as higher lever math and science which forces kids to choose, which is a shame because she really wanted to take AP Stats this year but wasn’t willing to abandon French)
*ECs - varsity swim and travel swim club (nowhere near interested in continuing in college), plays violin and has been section leader (definitely planning on continuing) as well as Tri-M music honor society including VP role, pit Orchestra for musical theater productions, NYSSMA soloist, All-County music festivals, book club (running for officer position), NHS
*volunteer experience - 4 years of project work and audio production at our local public radio station and a year of directing the video for live-streaming concerts from a local folk music performance venue

She is looking for History, Poli Sci, Gov, Econ, or IR. Has been on tours of 30+ schools and has decided on small, private, LACs in the northeast (4 hours from home is max). Current list is Middlebury (high reach), Hamilton and Colgate (attainable reaches but such small admit percentages), Connecticut College, Trinity, Lafayette, Franklin & Marshall (all matches, I think), and safeties of Hobart & William Smith, Muhlenberg, and Clark. She seems to be eligible for merit aid at the safeties and the others have more generous need based aid, which we need. NPCs show these schools within our price range, with the projected need and merit aid. She has has second visits and interviews at all of the above (except Midd, which doesn’t offer interviews).

Just wondering if there is something else she should be doing, if the list of schools looks well balanced, or if we should make any changes. We have been working with a private admissions company but it’s hard to separate the truth from the smoke blowing.
12 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: I know we’re in the ballpark but...

• DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 5515 replies1 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    It looks to me as if you are doing the right things and are on the right track. I think that I would put Middlebury as a "reach" rather than "high reach", although I am not sure that this matters. You apply, and either get in or don't (and it is affordable or it isn't).

There are obvious well known schools in the northeast such as Williams, Amherst, Bowdoin, and Wellesley College that I am assuming that you have thought of. They might be reaches or low reaches. For us they were not affordable based on what the NPC said. Other than that I can't think of schools that are within 4 hours of where I am guessing you might live (assuming that you live within 4 hours of the schools that you have listed).
    · Reply · Share
  • cinnamon1212cinnamon1212 438 replies6 threadsRegistered User Member
    What about Skidmore? Besides possibly being a fit, they offer merit aid.
    · Reply · Share
  • helpingmom40helpingmom40 59 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    We went there very early on but they are way too close to home for both of us (less than 15 minutes)
    · Reply · Share
  • cinnamon1212cinnamon1212 438 replies6 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited August 21
    @helpingmom40 got it, that IS too close! (I live in upstate NY too!). Your list seems good to me. You must have considered Bard, but I throw it out there.
    edited August 21
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34142 replies378 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    So the ECs are swim, music, and media. How about getting involved with a local rep or local advocacy project, for poli sci and those other possible majors?
    Any other activities? Other comm service?

The reaches are reaches, yes, but there are some nice schools in the remainder and it seems like a good list, as is. I dont think adding Top 10 colleges makes sense. The competition will be fierce and the 680 score on the lower side.
    · Reply · Share
  • taverngirltaverngirl 932 replies22 threadsRegistered User Member
    My d had most of those schools on her list! Dickinson might be a nice addition - would lie between her safeties and matches. Otherwise, I think you've put together a good list.
    · Reply · Share
  • blossomblossom 9831 replies9 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    More helpful than what a private counselor says- what does the guidance counselor say after looking at the Naviance results from your own HS? I'd trust that more than a counselor who does not have access to the historical admissions record from your own school. Important to look at both who got in AND who didn't get in, with profiles similar to your D.
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 10343 replies157 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 21
    Though your daughter's list seems fine as it appears, St. Lawrence might be a nice school to consider if she'd like to add an additional safer admit.

If she develops a clear preference from among the schools with notably low overall acceptance rates -- Hamilton (16%), Middlebury (17%), Colgate (23%) -- she may want to consider an ED application, provided the financial aspects seem suitable.
    edited August 21
    · Reply · Share
  • AriBenSionAriBenSion 73 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I just was at Colgate this past week. The place is really amazing for so many reasons. Some schools ride on their past reputations and others continue to unrelentingly pursue excellence and push to be even better. Colgate is definitely the latter. You should seriously consider EDing to Colgate. The majority of the class is accepted that way.
    · Reply · Share
  • momrathmomrath 5966 replies39 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 21
    @helpingmom40 Does your daughter plan to submit a music performance supplement with her application? This can be a big plus in LAC admissions even if she doesn't intend to major in music. She should communicate in her application (via essays, recommendations, resume) that she will participate in campus ensembles and express a familiarity with the college's music programs and performance opportunities.

If the NPCs are workable for you, then I would agree that an ED application would be a good idea.
    edited August 21
    · Reply · Share
  • TemperantiaTemperantia 256 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    F&M is unusual in that they offer an EA option for musicians. Could negate need to apply to safety schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29422 replies58 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 28
    If she has a favorite or no regrets to accept one of her reach schools, ED is indeed a good option. Bear in mind those already low accept rates from this past year are composites of ED and RD, making RD acceptances even more difficult.

She is female and with in the geographics that give her no boost whatsoever. You also have some schools on the list that are not need blind in admissions and she needs financial aid. If you do some adjustments to accept numbers, taking that info into account, those matches move into reach range.

I suggest getting some true safety schools in place and then your DD can go to town on the rest. When you need money and it’s not guaranteed, you don’t have a safety. Check out the SUNYs and see if any would take her early. I like early accept letters in hand before tackling the chance schools. I agree the St Lawrence is a good addition to the list, as are Ursinus and Susquehanna Not safeties to just tack on, but to visit and truly show interest.
    edited August 28
    · Reply · Share