Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

can more graduated seniors do "actual results" threads?

Replies to: can more graduated seniors do "actual results" threads?

• highspirithighspirit Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    being an international student, I am applying.i have average grades in all subjects except maths and physics, i got 97 in 10th and 92 in 12th in maths.i was class monitor in class 9th , 10th . I have make many things like thief alarm, electric board game , tesla coil etc . i am developing fomulas in integrals related to inverse by self . in sat i gave only sat 1 not subject test dated due to inavability of my passport that time . i get apprx full in sat maths section but in english i get only 650 . i am higly motivated for maths and physics. does i get any chances to get admitted in MIT or harvard or any Ivy league with financial aid or any other good college?
  • BohseonBohseon Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    @highspirit Hi, it seems like this can be a thread of it's own, thus, not belonging here.
    Concerning your chances, it seems like you are very interested in such STEM subjects and it's related fields.
    With that being said, ECs seem to be very absent. Being class monitor for two years seems personally to me, not an achievement to be proud of IN COMPARISON to other ECs achieved by other applicants. Having "average grades" (in which I assume is around a 3-ish range) seems to be below the "average" grades for other applicants interested in the schools that you mentioned. Also note that one should plan very carefully which schools specifically one would like to pursue. Generalizing "ivy league" isn't such a good idea, considering these 8 different schools have totally different environments, specializations, and other factors. The Ivy League is simply a football group or something.

But don't give up your highspirits! You seem to be highly motivated. Feel free to ask for more information to me our the community (just put it in the right place next time) or google your questions.

(Just a quick note, someone got rejected from MIT for developing a nuclear core reactor or something).
  • kyang0309kyang0309 Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    Accepted: Princeton (attending), UTD, UT Austin Polymath Honors
    Withdrew the rest of my applications (Rice, Yale, Columbia, Vanderbilt, Cornell, Duke) Some schools I applied to were not a good fit for me, but I did it anyways because of outside encouragement and insecurity. If I could redo the college app process, I would have not applied to so many schools.

[/b]Objective:
    [ *] SAT I (breakdown): 1530 (760 V, 770 M)
    [ *] ACT: 35
    [ *] SAT II: Chinese (790), Math II (780), World History (740), US History (750), Physics (730),
    [ *] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0
    [ *] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 2/624
    [ *] AP (place score in parenthesis): 5 (Chinese, World History, US History, BC Calc), 4 (Eng Lang), 3 (Spanish, Chemistry, Music Theory, Physics I, Physics II)
    [ *] IB (place score in parenthesis): none
    [ *] Senior Year Course Load: Orchestra, AP Eng Lit, AP Psych, AP US gov, AP Macro, AP Bio, APES, AP Euro, AP Stats)
    [ *] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel, etc.): National Merit Semifinalist, FBLA nationals qualifier twice (state qualifier 3 times), a bunch of Academic Decathlon awards, 2 President's Awards gold medal, All-Region and All-Area Orchestra, miscellaneous regional tennis awards
    [ /list]

[/b]Subjective:[/b]
    [ *] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): FBLA (president), Spanish NHS (president), Science NHS (president), Key Club (VP), Orchestra (VP), NHS, HOSA, Tennis
    [ *] Job/Work Experience: Intern at insurance company
    [ *] Volunteer/Community service: Teen Court Advisory Board and Attorney, miscellaneous school/community events
    [ *] Summer Activities: Lots of volunteering, summer research program, international conferences for Buddhist youth
    [ *] Essays: Common App (10/10) Rewrote this three times, about a very personal family tragedy, cried while writing it, it's my favorite piece of writing I have ever done; Princeton Supplement (7/10) About my mom's influence on me, hated it but I guess it was good enough?
    [ *] Teacher Recommendations: AP English teacher (10/10) She loves me and the letter was very well written; AP Chem teacher (10/10) Also very good. I cried the first time reading it (I guess I'm an emotional person LOL)
    [ *] Counselor Rec: (6.5/10) Don't know her that well but she wouldn't write anything negative about me.
    [ *] Additional Rec: Research advisor (10/10) I was the first high school student he ever mentored and he asked me to return to his lab in the future to work.
    [ *] Interview: Decent. Not outstanding, but not terrible either. More of me asking questions about Princeton than my interviewer grilling me.
    [ /list]

[/b]Other[/b]
    [ *] Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
    [ *] Intended Major: Molecular Biology (premed)
    [ *] State (if domestic applicant): TX
    [ *] Country (if international applicant):
    [ *] School Type: Public, uncompetitive (the last Ivy student was accepted four years ago)
    [ *] Ethnicity (Hispanic Y/N/not reported): N
    [ *] Race(s) (AI/AN, Asian, AA, NH/PI, White, not reported): Asian
    [ *] Gender: F
    [ *] Income Bracket: low low low
    [ *] Hooks/tips (URM, athlete, legacy, 1st gen, etc.):
    [ /list]

[/b]Reflection[/b]
    [ *] Strengths: My essays, leadership, and community service. I am extremely passionate about volunteering, and I think it really shown through my ECs and essays.
    [ *] Weaknesses: Mediocre ECs and awards (comparatively), average test scores
    [ *] Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: Overall, my application reflected my personality very well. I have a wide range of interests but also a deep commitment to service. I think this balance of breadth and depth helped me a lot. Also, Princeton is a very service-oriented school, so I tweaked my essays to fit the school culture.

[/b]General Comments:[/b] Reflecting back on high school, I do not regret anything. Any club I wanted to join or thing I wanted to learn, I just went for it, but I was dedicated. Once I commit to something, I stick with it and I don't quit. While it is important to plan your future, I feel like some people are getting too caught up in building a "perfect" resume rather than doing things they really enjoy. After all, college is not the end of the world, and you wouldn't want a university to accept a visage of you that is not real. Looking at all the outstanding students on CC, I never thought I would be accepted into my dream school, but it is possible to be a normal high school student and still get into Princeton. My advice to underclassmen would be to stay true to yourself and to seize any opportunity you get.
  • thebetterhawkeyethebetterhawkeye Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    Accepted: Minnesota (honors program), Delaware (honors program), Penn (ED)
    Withdrew: Columbia, Harvard, Northwestern, Wellesley, Tufts, Wisconsin, UToronto, Trinity College Dublin

SAT I: 2250 (780 R, 670 M, 800 W)
    ACT: 35 (forget the breakdown, I know math was 34, one was 36, and the other two were 35), 33 writing
    SAT II: Biology E (750), Literature (700), Math 2 (730)
    GPA: 3.95 at application, graduated with 3.93
    School did not rank or weight
    AP: European History (5), United States History (5), did not take exams for Chemistry, Environmental Science, or Calculus AB because at that point I knew I was going to Penn and wouldn't get credit for the exam
    Awards: National Merit Finalist, Presidential Scholars Program candidate, two of my 4-H projects made it to the state fair

9: (transferred from a trimester based system to a semester one before second semester): English Survey Honors, Theology 9, Geometry Honors, Physical Education 9, Biology Embedded Honors, Study Hall Band, Italian 1 / English 9 Honors, freshman band, health, Biology Honors, Geometry Honors, US History 9 Honors
    10: English 10 Honors, Algebra 2 Honors, French 1, Chemistry, Theater 1, social dance, concert band, AP European History
    11: American Literature Honors, European Literature Honors, AP US History, Math Physics, Pre-Calculus, honor band, French 3, Theater 2
    12: Gender studies, AP Chemistry, English Literature Honors, AP Environmental Studies, honor band, French 4, AP Calculus AB, Theater 3, 20th Century Literature Honors, philharmonic orchestra

First clarinetist in all 4 years of band and in philharmonic orchestra
    Clarinetist in jazz band
    Played softball sophomore and junior year, ended up managing senior year due to work and a shoulder injury
    MUN secretary my senior year, always a crisis committee member, won an award my senior year
    4H: held a board position 3/4 years of high school, sent projects to the state fair
    Theater odd jobs: ran the social media for a while, built sets, went to local businesses to poster, played in the pit orchestra, wrote and directed a short play
    Participated in a science research internship at UW-Madison and had a paper pending publication by the time of my application
    Worked 15 hours/week at a bookstore

Common App essay: wrote about how comics, and specifically superhero comics, have shaped my identity and made me more comfortable with myself
    "Why Penn?" essay: I don't remember a lot of the details, but I do remember a Swarthmore admissions officer saying it's what they would want to see
    Supplement: The aforementioned research paper

American/European lit teacher: I wrote the best essays of my pre-college career for his classes
    APUSH teacher: we would share book recommendations and eat lunch together; she is one of my favorite people
    Research professor: told me I basically have a master's degree already from the work I did
    Counselor: It's a big school but she always looked forward to meeting with me
    Interview: She was future me; all her mannerisms and speech habits and interests were like mine

White
    Female
    Madison, WI
    Large public high school; graduating class of 478
    Lower-middle class
    Idk if Penn still actively recruits LGBT kids, but if so that was my hook
    Biological Basis of Behavior and English

My objective stats were middle to lower end of what Penn expected, and I've found that my profile looks a lot less impressive than some of my classmates. My course load was weak compared to several of my classmates attending less-elite schools, as I took 1.5 credits of fine arts every year instead of doubling up/maxing out on STEM. However, like Wolverine, I'm the best there is at what I do. I said I wanted to do science, so I showed that I put together an entire research project. I said I wanted to write, so by graduation I had three published short stories and a produced play. My essays, recommendations, and interview all showed that I have an infectious energy for learning and doing. I was a safe gamble: my scores showed I would almost certainly do okay, but the writing and research meant there was a chance I could be exceptional.

You don't have to be "perfectly average" to get in, where you check off all the right ECs, course loads, GPA, and test scores. You still have to be good at all those things, but sometimes it's better to master something to its fullest extent.

The one thing I"m still ambivalent about is applying to as many schools as I did. I could have saved money by waiting for Penn to make its decision, but I'm a fairly superstitious person and didn't want it to even LOOK like I was putting all my eggs in one basket.
  • labegglabegg Registered User Posts: 2,564 Senior Member
    Applied to 17 schools (yeah...completely unnecessary, don't do it! Target 6-8) for BS Psychology

Accepted
    Texas A&M University ($26k in-state tuition/r&b) WILL (Likely) ATTEND
    University of Florida ($40k OOS tuition/r&b)
    Florida State University ($34k OOS tuition/r&b)
    Loyola University - Chicago ($21k Provost Scholarship); COA ($36k tuition/r&b)
    Fordham University ($10k Scholarship); COA ($58k tuition/r&b)
    Auburn University ($45k OOS tuition/r&b)
    Stephen F Austin State University ($3k scholarship); COA($17k in-state tuition/r&b)
    University of Mississippi ($3.5k scholarship); COA ($32k OOS tuition/r&b)
    Louisiana State University ($3k Texas Tigers scholarship); COA ($33k OOS tuition/r&b)
    University of South Carolina ($43k OOS tuition/r&b)
    High Point University ($7k Presidential scholarship); COA ($43k tuition/r&b)
    College of Charleston ($10k scholarship); COA ($33k OOS tuition/r&b)
    Trinity University ($18k scholarship); COA ($36k tuition/r&b)
    University of Colorado-Boulder ($54k OOS tuition/r&b)

Coordinated Admissions Program (guaranteed transfer acceptance after 1 year)
    University of Texas - Austin ($25k in-state tuition/r&b)

Waitlisted:
    Clemson University (kinda surprised by this one...)
    Still Pending (likely a denial):
    University of Washington-Seattle

Stats
    White/Female/upper middle class
    ACT: 27 (24 Math, 25 English, 28 Science, 32 Reading) single sitting only score submitted
    GPA: 4.86w/3.6ish(?)uw; State of Texas Endorsement: Multi Disciplinary 4x4
    Class rank: 80/586 (13%) large suburban high school (TX)
    APs: 9 total= Human Geo (4), WHAP (3), Psych (4), Physics I (1), Eng Comp (4), APUSH (4), Calc AB (3?), Euro (4?), Eng Lit (3or4?). All other classes were Honors or Pre AP except cheer/creative arts and 1 science class senior year Forensic science related to potential career choice
    EC: Co-Capt Varsity Cheer, Diamond Darlings, Latin Club, NHS, Rho Kappa, NSHS, NEHS, All Star Cheer (12 years), volunteer hours mostly related to cheer, Angel Gowns
    Awards: National: Cum Laude Latin II Exam, NCA All American, UCA All American Nominee; Regional: TX Jr Classical League - Latin Mottos; HS: Magna Cum Laude, Best All Around Cheerleader.

Common App Essay: About finding her "voice" related to a negative experience with cheer coach (Average/Good)
    Coalition App Essay: The work is worth it, related to cheer (Good)
    Other Essays: Diversity, concentrated on how NOT diverse she is (Excellant); and several essays or personal statements that were some combinations of all her essays (Average)
    A&M Texas "C" Essay: (Outstanding)
    UT short answers: (Sub Par) She didn't put a lot of effort in here because it was highly unlikely she would be accepted per her rank and scores.

Recommendations : APUSH Teacher, Guidance Counselor. Who knows what they said...

Assessment: I think rigor was important, especially because her grades were mostly in the B/B+ range. The fact that she owned that she is a B+ student. She showed that she is tenacious and not afraid to face a challenge and it is ok to fail. Dedication to her EC, it was abundantly clear she was totally committed and passionate about cheer. Targeting the right schools for her stats. And I hate to say it, but ability to pay tuition without financial aid probably made a difference. Choose schools that YOU really would like to attend, don't pick schools because of perceived prestige. And don't assume anything is a safety. No school is perfect, or the "dream" school; like all of your choices and if you are rejected it will be fine because you know you have another school waiting where you will be just as happy!

Regrets: DD regrets not applying to The University of Miami.
  • BingBong284BingBong284 Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    Accepted:
    Biola University (Presidential Scholarship)
    UC Riverside ($5,000 Scholarship)
    UC Davis
    UC San Diego
    Georgia Tech
    UC Santa Cruz ($7,500 Scholarship)
    University of Washington ($4,000 Scholarship)
    UC Irvine
    UC Santa Barbara (Honors College)
    USC
    UC Berkeley (Currently enrolled)

Rejected:
    UT Austin
    UCLA
    University of Virginia
    Rice University
    Carnegie Mellon University
    University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (Waitlisted, did not actively pursue)
    New York University (Waitlisted, did not actively pursue)

Stats:
    Asian/Upper Middle Class
    San Diego, CA
    Protestant
    SAT: 2150 (760 Writing, 690 Reading, 700 Math)
    SAT Subject Tests: 770 United States History, 720 World History
    GPA: UW 3.85/ W 4.27
    Class Rank: N/A
    APs: 10- World History (4), Environmental Sciences (4), English Language (5), United States History (5), English Literature (5), Spanish Language and Culture (4), Calculus AB (4), Psychology (5), United States Government (5), and Microeconomics (4)

Extra-circulars:
    UCSD research intern: Preformed research in the history department and gave a presentation to a panel of professors about my findings
    Tri-City Medical Center Laboratory Assistant: Spent 4 years (350+ hours) volunteering in a hospital laboratory assisting in the analysis of blood, phlegm, and other fun bodily excretions.
    President of Leo's Club: Community service group that assisted veterans and blind people. Served as president for one year and treasurer the year before that.

Awards:
    Numerous speech and debate awards including #3 speaker at Cal State Long Beach, #13 speaker at Arizona State University, and Quarterfinalist at Cal State Fullerton.
    National AP Scholar: Received an average score of at least 4 on all AP Exams taken, and scores of 4 or higher on eight or more of these exams

Common App Essay:
    How my early love for reading brought me to appreciate history, which led me to pursue university research in 11th grad.
    UC Essays:
    Basically worked my extra-circulars and love for reading into the essay prompts.

Recommendations:
    AP English Language teacher
    AP World History teacher
    High School Counselor

Take-away:
    I was putting up B's in STEM classes (still am at Berkeley), so I worked around this by making my application highlight my passion for liberal arts. Obviously, my GPA is on the lower side for UC Berkeley, but my senior year showed development (all A's in 5 AP classes). For those of you with straight A's, assuming that you are capable of good writing and participate in a few extra circulars, getting into the UC's should not be a stretch. However, for those of you, like me, who struggle in one area, it is not at all a death warrant. As long as you have a story that can compel a reader in the eight minutes you are given, you have a shot. The key is telling a story, while the UC's love the all-around students that boost their numbers, they also like students that know exactly what they want from college. Research the colleges you are applying to and make the readers feel that you know your path going forward once you are accepted. Also, this might just be a UC thing, but avoid writing the cliché, "I'm going to change the world" or "Building houses in México" essays, unless you actually are going to change the world. So many of my peers thought that writing these kinds of essays would work for them, but undoubtedly, the readers must get scores of these every day. My aunt is a reader for Harvard University, and she says they like people who are unique and actively pursue their aspirations. Strive to make your essay unique and solely applicable to you. Convey a story that will resonate with your reader. Good luck to all of you.
  • BingBong284BingBong284 Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    Accepted:
    Biola University (Presidential Scholarship)
    UC Riverside ($5,000 Scholarship)
    UC Davis
    UC San Diego
    Georgia Tech
    UC Santa Cruz ($7,500 Scholarship)
    University of Washington ($4,000 Scholarship)
    UC Irvine
    UC Santa Barbara (Honors College)
    USC
    UC Berkeley (Currently enrolled)

Rejected:
    UT Austin
    UCLA
    University of Virginia
    Rice University
    Carnegie Mellon University
    University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (Waitlisted, did not actively pursue)
    New York University (Waitlisted, did not actively pursue)

Stats:
    Asian/Upper Middle Class
    San Diego, CA
    Protestant
    SAT: 2150 (760 Writing, 690 Reading, 700 Math)
    SAT Subject Tests: 770 United States History, 720 World History
    GPA: UW 3.85/ W 4.27
    Class Rank: N/A
    APs: 10- World History (4), Environmental Sciences (4), English Language (5), United States History (5), English Literature (5), Spanish Language and Culture (4), Calculus AB (4), Psychology (5), United States Government (5), and Microeconomics (4)

Extra-circulars:
    UCSD research intern: Preformed research in the history department and gave a presentation to a panel of professors about my findings
    Tri-City Medical Center Laboratory Assistant: Spent 4 years (350+ hours) volunteering in a hospital laboratory assisting in the analysis of blood, phlegm, and other fun bodily excretions.
    President of Leo's Club: Community service group that assisted veterans and blind people. Served as president for one year and treasurer the year before that.

Awards:
    Numerous speech and debate awards including #3 speaker at Cal State Long Beach, #13 speaker at Arizona State University, and Quarterfinalist at Cal State Fullerton.
    National AP Scholar: Received an average score of at least 4 on all AP Exams taken, and scores of 4 or higher on eight or more of these exams

Common App Essay:
    How my early love for reading brought me to appreciate history, which led me to pursue university research in 11th grad.
    UC Essays:
    Basically worked my extra-circulars and love for reading into the essay prompts.

Recommendations:
    AP English Language teacher
    AP World History teacher
    High School Counselor

Take-away:
    I was putting up B's in STEM classes (still am at Berkeley), so I worked around this by making my application highlight my passion for liberal arts. Obviously, my GPA is on the lower side for UC Berkeley, but my senior year showed development (all A's in 5 AP classes). For those of you with straight A's, assuming that you are capable of good writing and participate in a few extra circulars, getting into the UC's should not be a stretch. However, for those of you, like me, who struggle in one area, it is not at all a death warrant. As long as you have a story that can compel a reader in the eight minutes you are given, you have a shot. The key is telling a story, while the UC's love the all-around students that boost their numbers, they also like students that know exactly what they want from college. Research the colleges you are applying to and make the readers feel that you know your path going forward once you are accepted. Also, this might just be a UC thing, but avoid writing the cliché, "I'm going to change the world" or "Building houses in México" essays, unless you actually are going to change the world. So many of my peers thought that writing these kinds of essays would work for them, but undoubtedly, the readers must get scores of these every day. My aunt is a reader for Harvard University, and she says they like people who are unique and actively pursue their aspirations. Strive to make your essay unique and solely applicable to you. Convey a story that will resonate with your reader. Good luck to all of you.
  • kipster9kipster9 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Accepted so far: MIT, McGill, UC Santa Barbara (Regents), UC Santa Cruz (Honors), UCLA
    Waitlisted: none
    Rejected: none
    Waiting On: UC Berkeley, Harvard, Stanford

School Type: Public
    Race/Gender: Caucasian Female
    Prospective Major: Physics or Undeclared-Physical Sciences depending on school
    Unweighted GPA: 3.96
    UC GPA: 4.29

SAT I Scores
    SAT I Math: 760
    SAT I Critical Reading/Writing: 780

SAT II Scores
    SAT II Literature: 700
    SAT II Chemistry: 690
    SAT II Math II: 800
  • yukinarinyukinarin Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    edited March 2018
    Currently waiting for some decisions to come out, but most of the results have come by so I'll just post here.
    Accepted:
    UC Berkeley
    UC Davis
    San Jose State University
    University of San Francisco
    Rice
    Baylor

Waitlisted:
    UC San Diego
    UMich

Rejected:
    UCLA
    Northeastern

Waiting on UC Irvine and Merced

Stats!
    Attended California public highschool (predominantly asian with average gpa of 4.4)
    Asian Female (Taiwanese, part Japanese)
    No religious affiliation
    Applied majors: Nursing, bio, compsci
    Gpa: 3.2 UW, 3.7 W (UW Freshman 3.1, Sophomore 3.2, Junior 2.8, Senior 4.0)
    Family of 5, sisters attended UC Santa Cruz and Uc Davis

ACT Scores : 1st try 30, 2nd try 34

Sat II Scores:
    Biology 750
    Math 2 750

AP Scores:
    Bio 4, US History 4, Calc BC 4, planning to take stats and spanish

Extracurriculars/work experience, etc:
    500+ hours of community service
    worked at animal shelter (started as janitor, promoted to animal behaviorist assistant) since sophomore year
    Receptionist/assistant for doctor starting beginning of senior year
    Piano
    Violin (school orchestra for 4 years)
    Occasional hospital volunteer
    Chinese dance (since I was little)
    Leadership camp

Common App/Private University essays:
    Actually focused mostly on my growth as a person from depression in the middle of high school (explains the GPA) and
    demonstrated my capability with my senior grades and also used it as inspiration for me to follow down the medical road to help others (left out that last part for the compsci applications)

UC Essays:
    Same as above but also talked about my interests and hobbies, my love for animals and my experiences in volunteer and interacting with ppl in the hospital
    For irvine and la supplemental apps, talked about my experience in the healthcare field

(not gonna lie my essays were kinda meh bc i was pretty pessimistic that no colleges would accept me due to my gpa)

Rec Letters:
    Lit teacher
    Counselor
    The doctor i work for

Summary: I got accepted and rejected from schools of the same prestige, which just shows that each college looks for different things in an applicant. Some focus on the numbers while some focus on the person and their experiences. Obviously, some colleges were probably scared off with my topic of depression in my essay, while some took it as a sign that I was a hardworking and empathetic person. My extracurriculars and work experience definitely gave me that push up towards schools with nursing majors (except UCLA). So I guess it's kind of a myth that colleges only look for numbers but not really? But in the end if a college accepts you not for your scores but for your essays and experience, then that college was probably better fit for you than colleges that focus on academic success.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 39,251 Super Moderator
    MODERATOR'S NOTE: This thread is for results only. If you have questions about users' posts, you may send them a PM instead of asking in the thread.
  • malikwoullardmalikwoullard Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    I applied to a load of schools. Included are the matches and reaches that I applied to.

Accepted
    Fordham University

Waitlisted:
    Tulane University
    University of Chicago

Rejected:
    Northwestern
    Emory ( :( )

Waiting:
    Columbia (likely a reject)
    NYU (maybe an acceptance, who knows)
    Howard (a certain acceptance)

How does one get rejected from Northwestern and Emory, but waitlisted at UChicago?

Stats
    ACT: 31 Composite: 35E, 34R, 29M, 25S
    GPA: 3.5 UW, no W
    Class rank: 33/~250 public high school in Mississippi
    APs: none
    Race: AA

ECs: Member of school debate team, paid intern for a political committee
    Awards: winner of state InvestWrite competition (this was in 2018. I'm hoping this will get me off of some of those waitlists :) )

Common App Essay: About my experience doing badly in my first Debate tournament
    Other Essays: My UChicago essay was about how the GPD wasn't a good indicator of economic health, others I don't remember.

Recommendations: Four teachers, counselor

Assessment: Maybe, I should have applied to more schools in the 25-28 ACT range, instead of so many hyper-competitive match and reach schools. My GPA could've been a lot better and I should've taken more AP classes earlier in my high school career. Also, I should've applied to more, lesser-known LACs with higher acceptance rates instead of the brand name schools. I'll post an update on April 1st!
  • rvwlxejvhnrvwlxejvhn Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    edited March 2018
    Accepted
    Georgetown, UC Davis, Syracuse, Franklin and Marshall, Holy Cross, Grand Canyon, NAU, UH Manoa, La Salle, De Paul, St. John’s, Hawaii Pacific, UMN, University of Utah

Waitlisted:
    Union College, Denison

Rejected:
    UCLA, UVA, Colgate, WashU

Waiting:
    Wake Forest, American, UC Berkeley

Stats
    SAT: 1300
    GPA: 4.0 unweighted, 4.1 weighted
    Class rank: 1/48
    APs: English Lit, English Lang, World History, Human Geography
    Race: Minority (Filipino)

ECs:
    1) YMCA of Honolulu Youth and Government (YAG) Program | August 2015–Present
    Delegation Vice President (2017–Present)
    Senate Clerk (2016–2017)
    2) National Honor Society | March 2015–Present
    Chapter Vice President (2017–Present)
    Chapter Secretary (2016–2017)
    3) Student Body Government | August 2015–Present
    Hawaii State Student Council Representative (2017–Present)
    Class Secretary (2016–2017)
    Class Treasurer (2015–2016)
    4) Hawaii State Student Council
    5) HOSA: Health Occupations Students of America | August 2016–Present
    6) Varsity Soccer | November 2014–Present
    7) Upward Bound Program | August 2014–Present
    8) Varsity Track & Field | March 2015–Present
    9) Varsity Cross Country | August 2014–October 2016

WORK EXPERIENCE
    1) Intern, Senator Brian Schatz Honolulu Office | October 10, 2017-Present
    Advocates and raises awareness for youth-focused issues to the Senator, his staff and fellow interns. Performs tasks sent electronically by the Honolulu Schatz Office and participates in weekly conference calls.
    2) GS-1 Park Guide, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park | May 30, 2017-July 21, 2017
    Performed administrative duties such as answering phone calls. Guided hikes, presented ranger talks, answered visitor questions and participated in removal of nonnative plants.

COMMUNITY SERVICE
    1) The Collective (Community Organization), Pahala, HI 96777
    September 12, 2017 - Present | 2 hours/week | 40 total hours
    - Organizes the 2018 Ka’u Unity Celebration, a community event intended to showcase youth talent and community unification and empowerment, with fellow students, adult mentors and ‘O Ka’u Kakou.
    - Donation Committee Head: Responsible for writing donation letters and requesting funds.
    - Invitation Committee Head: Responsible for inviting distinguished guests to the Ka’u Unity Celebration.

Common App Essay: About struggling as an immigrant and living two worlds: one in which I spoke English in public, nearly forgetting my native language.
    Other Essays: My experiences as a national park ranger and being able to interact with other cultures.

Recommendations: Two teachers and one counselors. I read my teachers’ one and they were outstanding. Counselor recommendation letter was generic IMO.

I applied to so muuuch schools with the fear of getting rejected, don’t do what I did!
  • fogbrother22fogbrother22 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I thought I'd post mine up too, but I'm mostly curious to see if there's any reason other than applying engineering major why I am being rejected/waitlisted at so many schools that I though I had a good or at least fair shot at. This seems harsh but like a somewhat harsh set of decisions but still understandable on its own, but I had friends from my school with lower test scores, a similar or lower GPA, and very few extracurriculars who were accepted to schools I was rejected or waitlisted at applying for the same or similar majors. Let me know if you see something that may be off that I missed with my application...

Accepted: LMU, U of O Honors, Boston U, UCSB
    Waitlist: Northeastern, UC Davis, UChicago, Boston C
    Denied: Northwestern, Brown, USC (I am a scion here), UCLA (also second generation)
    Still Waiting: Cornell, UC Berkeley, Columbia (all expected rejections at this point)

STATS:

School: public/rural/mediocre
    Female, white, upper middle class, Presbyterian association

GPA (9-12): 3.93/4.28
    GPA (10-12): 3.90/4.38
    Class rank (unweighted): 25/245
    Note *my school does not weight advanced classes, only AP*

Independent Study: AP Chemistry with advisor (plan for AP exam in May 2018)

ACT: 34
    English - 35
    Math - 35
    Reading - 32
    Science - 34

SAT II:
    Biology - 800
    Math 2 - 690

AP's:
    World History - 5
    Spanish Lang/Comp - 4
    English Lang/Comp - 5
    Biology - 4
    5 more exams planned for May (Chemistry, Statistics, Calculus AB, Physics 2, US Gov/Politics)

Honors/Awards:
    +National Merit Commended Student (12)
    +National Honor Society (10-12), Vice President (12)
    +California Scholarship Federation (12), Secretary (12)
    +California Seal of Biliteracy (11)
    +AP Scholar with Honor (11)

EXTRACURRICULARS:

+Sister-City Student Ambassador to Kariwa, Japan (2017)
    +Ciel Medical Biomedical Engineering Internship (2017)
    +club gymnastics (2005-2016)
    +Varsity cheerleading (2016-17)
    +Varsity dance team (2015, 2017)
    +Varsity gymnastics team (2015, 2016)
    +Big Sister, Little Sister Club (2014-15, 2017-18)
    +Sixth Man Club (2016, 2018)
    +Interact Club (2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17)
    +Calculus Club (2017-18)

Work/Volunteer Experience:

+gymnastics instructor (2015-2017)
    +math tutor (2015-present)
    +bioengineering internship (2017)
    +church service child care (2016-present)
    +barista/cashier (2017)
    +registrar at local free clinic (2016-17)
    +waitressing for cheerleading/dance team fundraisers (2014-2017)

Recommendations:
    +AP Biology teacher
    +US History teacher/NHS advisor
    +Counselor

I understand engineering is extremely competitive and particularly so this year, but I can't figure out why I would be waitlisted at Northeastern, Davis, Boston College and UChicago, a set of schools that cover a wide range of prestige, selectivity and academic standards. So far, the only school I have been accepted to that even has an undergraduate engineering program is Boston University, which I find frustrating as someone who has definite plans to major in biomedical engineering. If you have some insight as to why I would have gotten these decisions, please let me know.