Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

can more graduated seniors do "actual results" threads?

Replies to: can more graduated seniors do "actual results" threads?

• reidd799reidd799 Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    ACCEPTED: Penn State Schreyer's Honor College (In-State), Colgate, Washington & Lee (Johnson Finalist, 40k merit aid, will be attending)

WAITLISTED: Cornell AEM, Williams, Michigan

REJECTED: Dartmouth

Major: Econ (AEM at Cornell because I liked that supplemental prompt better)

Stats:

SAT: 780 Math 750 English
    SAT II:780 M II, 730 Lit
    RANK: 23/1000 - Large, competitive, public suburban high school
    GPA: 3.96 UW
    AP's: Stat/Macro/Micro/Lang/Calc AB - All 5's
    White Male

EC's:

Member of a winning team of the National Economics Challenge
    FBLA Club President, 2-time state champion, national place winner
    Varsity Wrestling (4 years, captain as a senior)
    Internship at a wealth planning firm
    Mission trips to Appalachia every summer
    Part-time job 10-15 hours/week

Recs: Both very strong. First was from econ teacher who was also the advisor for the Econ Challenge and connected with me on our trips. Second was from Lang teacher junior year who was quoted in my admittance letter from Colgate.

Essays: Common App was alright, probably not noteworthy. Looking back, definitely wish I had put more time and energy into these. Probably the weakest section of my application.

Awards:
    National Merit Finalist

Reflection: I'm happy to finally be done with this process and could not be happier to be a General! For future students, start essays early and don't be nervous to ask teachers to help. Also be sure to look at LACs, it's a whole world of options I never thought about before I started to apply. From watching my friends journeys, SO many of them went HYPSM or bust and it didn't work out in their favor and now aren't happy with their options. Be sure to apply to schools ranging in selectivity. Don't get worked up about who gets in where and who scored what. It won't make any sense and it certainly won't help you at all.
  • SevenDadSevenDad Registered User Posts: 4,266 Senior Member
    Just discovered this thread (my kids are already through their processes), and it's great. One thought for future contributors is to include where you have chosen to attend....some folks upstream have shared that info, and I think it's very interesting/informative.
  • IvyPlaywrightIvyPlaywright Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    Accepted: Yale (attending), Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, Emory, South Carolina (with honors college), North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Alabama, UGA

Denied: Harvard, Brown

STATS:
    School: private/suburban/competitive Blue Ribbon school
    Identity: Female, Afro-Caribbean (Haitian), middle class but single parent, Catholic

GPA (weighted) 4.0 (Our school doesn't go past this.)
    Class rank: Top Decile (no rankings)

ACT: 33
    English - 36
    Math - 28
    Reading - 35
    Science - 34

SAT II:
    Chem - 800
    Lit- 690?

AP's:
    World History - 4
    English Lang/Comp - 5
    Chem - 5
    Art History- 5
    Human Geography- 4
    US History- 5

Exams planned for May- Physics C, Latin, Calculus BC, Music Theory, Comparative Gov/Politics, English Lit

Honors/Awards:
    +National Honor Society (11-12)
    +National English Honor Society- Vice President (12)
    +Elizabeth Huffner Scholarship (9)
    +National Latin Exam: Perfect (9), Silver (10), Gold (11)
    +Outstanding Achievement in: Sacraments (11), Latin 2H (10)
    +Regis College Book Award (11)
    +Georgia Certificate of Merit Winner (11)
    +FBLA Region Winner: Public Speaking II (11)
    +FBLA Region 3rd Place: Sales Pres (12)
    +FBLA State Winner: Sales Pres (12)
    +AP Scholar with Distinction (11)
    +Mu Alpha Theta Honor Society (11-12)
    +Honor Thespian (12)

EXTRACURRICULARS:

+Varsity Academic Team- Lettered
    +BT Theatrical Alliance- Lettered
    +Mathletes
    +Music Ministry- Senior Soloist
    +Broadcast Team- Lettered
    +Student Ambassador
    +FBLA- Parliamentarian, Vice President of Service
    +Latin Club
    I'm not sure I got it all down, but here is most of it.

Work/Volunteer Experience:
    +St. Joe's Volunteen
    +PSR Teen Mentor

Recommendations:
    +AP Chem teacher
    +AP Calc teacher
    +AP Latin teacher
    +Counselor

Essays:
    Common App: Trying to marry my Haitian culture with my American surroundings. This is one of my favorite essays ever.

The rest were just random supplements.
  • IvyPlaywrightIvyPlaywright Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    edited April 2018
    Reflection: This has been a trip. I was rejected from my dream school (Brown), but now I'm going to my perfect school. I am in love with Yale and its community. I can't wait to be an authentic Yalie!! Boola Boola!
    Tips:
    -Be yourself
    -Let loose
    -DON'T overthink it
    -Learn to accept failure. Mine changed my life lowkey.
  • afslexafslex Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    edited May 2018
    Accepted: Duke, UMiami (honors/full tuition), Kentucky (honors), Centre, Minnesota (honors)
    Waitlisted: Penn
    Rejected: UChicago

white, middle class

Stats:
    ACT 35, 36 superscored
    4.0 uw
    AP: 5s in gov world chem lang psych euro apush calc ab, 4 in bio

ecs:
    orchestra/music stuff, quizbowl, nsliy/chinese stuff

recs:
    ok

essay:
    Wrote it about working in fast food
    essay got good feedback from some of the schools i applied to

• emmajayemmajay Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    Accepted:
    MIT (attending), Caltech

Waitlist:
    Princeton

Rejected:
    Harvard, Stanford, UChicago (EA defer)

Stats:
    • SAT: 1590 (800M, 790V)
    • SAT II: 800 Math II, 800 Chem, 800 Spanish (Reading only)
    • ACT: didn't take
    • GPA: 4.16 UW (my school does it out of 4.3; A+ is 4.3)
    • Other Tests (AMC, AP, IB): All 5's: Stat, Bio, Calc AB, Chem, Psych, Spanish, Microeconomics, CS A
    Subjective
    • Commonapp Essay: crappy
    • Teacher Recs: Should be good. Asked my chem and English teachers. I think chem was probably the better one. She told my parents I was the best student she'd seen in a while.
    • Counselor Rec: Probably generic. She had us fill out a survey with things we thought she should know about us, so it probably looked better than the really generic ones.
    • Supplementary Material: Had an extra rec from my coach.
    • Hook(recruited athlete, legacy, Nobel Prize): Won a Nobel Prize in 10th grade, went on to get gold for the 100m dash in the Olympics, and then traveled around the world filming for my documentary about monasteries. That's sarcasm for "no".
    Personal
    • High School Type: Public
    • Ethnicity: Asian
    Other
    • Extracurriculars: copying from commonapp with some stuff omitted
      - Billiards (Captain), 15hrs/week
      - Robotics (captain), 8hrs/week
      - Math Team (Captain), 2hrs/week
      - Internship (software), 40hrs/week ish during summer
    • Awards:
      - Women's 8-Ball National Champion (2017 Platinum, 2016 Gold)
      - Jr. National 9-Ball Champion
      - Went to Jr. Worlds 4 times
      - AIME Qualifier/AMC 12 Honor Roll (just once)
      - MAML Finalist
      - National Merit Semifinalist
      - Math Prize for Girls Participant (lol tied for like 200th out of 260? so basically one of the worst there but it's the effort that counts)
    • Advice? Commiserations? Feel like bragging?: Well, I don't know. Just relax, because worrying won't make a difference in the decision. If you're truly worried, do something. That's probably easier for me to say, but you get the point. BUT ALSO GOOD LUCK TO THE 2023 APPLICANTS!!!
  • quentinRJJAquentinRJJA Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    ACCEPTED:Chapman University (ED)

OTHERS: (I withdrew my other apps because I did Early decision) UCLA, Loyola Marymount, NYU, USC

Major: Film Production (Directing Emphasis)

Objective:
    ACT (breakdown): 32
    GPA (state if weighted or unweighted, and on what scale): 4.2 W
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): N/A
    AP (place score in parenthesis): World History (3) US History (4) Language (4) Physics 1 (4) Physics 2 (3)
    Senior Year Course Load: AP Lit, Ap Gov, Ap Econ, Ap Calc AB, Ap Physics C, College Apps, Yoga, Baking and Pastries, Advanced Video Film

Subjective:

Extracurriculars:
    Nerd Club Founder and President, Creative Writing Club Member and President, 48 Hour Film Festival. Chapman Summer Film Academy, Imagine Dragons Photography

Job/Work Experience:
    Cosplay Commissions, Freelance Photography/Videography, Nerdist Shadowing

Volunteer/Community service:
    FACE Foundation Videos, San Diego Comic Fest 2017 Board, San Diego International Film Festival Videographer

Essays (rating 1-10, details):
    Common App:
    9 Common App Essay (create prompt)-I chose my own prompt in order to highlight my ability to make connections with people. I really wanted to press that the things I’ve done hav when because I have worked to meet people and make them happen.

10 Interest In Major-I wrote about how film has the power to change society and influence/inspire people.

10 Interest in Chapman- At SFA I stayed here for two weeks so I really have a feeling for the school and was able to show that here.

7 Advisory Groups- I wrote about how women are constantly pitted against each other to see each other as competition instead of working together and how to change that.

Film App:
    10 Dodge Personal Statement- I wrote about where I draw inspiration from for things that aren’t really film related. I highlighted science, people around me, and cross-platform media.

8 Emphasis (Directing)- This is only really an 8 because of how short it had to be (150 words) I showed why I live directing because it encompasses all different forms of creativity

9 Writing Sample- This story came out really well, personally. It highlights a time at comic con when a little girl dressed as Rey thought I was actually rey and how interactions like that are small yet incredibly important.

VISUAL SAMPLE!!! I don’t want to rank mine because I’m bad at rating my own work but I was pretty dang happy with my film. I knew most people were gonna do something about teens/family because that’s easy to film and it’s relatable. So I did sci-fi. I made the set for under $100 and heck it looked good. Because there was no dialogue I had a LOT of sound effects that were woven together to make suspense. The story was about a pilot of a ship having to choose between saving themselves or an extremely important item on the ship.

Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):

10 Common App- Physics Teacher- I am really into physics and want to minor in it and I have had homeroom and 3 classes with this teacher over the course of 2 years. This letter connects my love for science and film and looks amazing.

8 Common App- Creative Wroting Teacher- My creative writing teacher has known me for 4 years now and has seen me grow, as well as seen my involvement in films grow. He can talk really well about my leadership skills and such.

10- Supplemental App- SAG Actress/Friend- My letter for the film prod app was written by a Sag Actress who I met about a year ago. I’ve now gone to a lot of commissions with her and over the summer she hired me to make a custom Wasp (from marvel) costume for Comic Con. She talked about my ability to make friends and commentiond and how good I am to work with.

Reflection

Strengths: according to friends and family, everything
    Weaknesses: according to me, everything
    Why you think you were accepted: I have done a lot for someone my age, especially out of school. I also demonstrated that I am into taking risks that are reasonable and am amazing at making connections, all things that are important in Film.
  • YalienYalien Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Applied: Yale, Princeton (EA), MIT, Stanford Harvard
    Accepted: Yale (attending), Princeton, MIT
    Waitlisted: Harvard, declined
    Rejected: Stanford

SAT: 1600 (+760 Writing)
    SAT II Chem: 800
    SAT II Math 2: 800
    GPA: 4.6 something weighted? I had an A average, plenty of A-'s and A+'s but nothing below an A-

EC's: Debate Team (president, highest pointed team in state finals), Robotics (president&founder of competition team), Finance Club (president), professional actor, did not list volunteering work because I thought it was unethical

White female from competitive public high school, legacy at Princeton
  • mohavemohave Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Accepted: Stanford (attending), UNC, Cornell, Duke, Vanderbilt, Emory, WashU, a bunch of safeties
    Rejected: Yale, UPenn, Dartmouth
    WL: UVA, Johns Hopkins, Princeton, Harvard

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): none
    ACT (breakdown): 36
    SAT II: 760 USH, 700 Lit
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.97
    APs: AP Euro-4; APENG, APUSH-5
    Senior Year Course Load: Bible, APGAP, APLAT, Anatomy, APCAL, APLANG,
    Major Awards: two national level awards and one regional level award in social justice/equality (not publicly naming for privacy reasons); big enough to meet MLK's daughter

Extracurriculars: mostly the social justice thing which was huge and took up a lot of time, was a radio volunteer, MUN/YIG, lacrosse
    Job/Work Experience: Internship at a nonprofit for 500 hours
    Volunteer/Community service: a bunch
    Summer Activities: CONA, Governor's School for Humanities, JCamp
    Essays: never serious, made them all very funny and lighthearted
    Recommendations: 12/10 I loved them and they all loved me and knew me very well

Applied for Financial Aid?: no
    Intended Major: It differed by school but usually public policy, american studies, communications, and other non stem things
    State: suprisingly competitive southern state
    School Type: small, non-competitive religious private that no elite college has heard of
    Ethnicity: asian- american
    Income Bracket: alot
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): none

Reflection

Strengths: My extracurriculars were nationally regarded and recognized, my strong ACT made up for my lack of APs (my school doesn't offer many, I took all that I could)
    Weaknesses: race, income, aka demographics beyond my control; and to a lesser degree SAT IIs
    Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: my entire application revolved around my personal narrative that I suppose some colleges found compelling.

General Comments:

Go Cardinal! Stanford Class of 2022!
  • ProfSquidwardProfSquidward Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    edited July 2018
    ACCEPTED: Northeastern, Fordham, Emory (Oxford program), Case Western, Rutgers New Brunswick, UMinn Twin Cities, Indiana University Bloomington (Kelley Business), Binghamton

WAITLISTED: Tulane

REJECTED: Cornell, UPenn, Wash U in St. Louis

Major: Marketing

Stats:

SAT: 1490 (780 Reading / 710 Math)
    GPA: 4.55 Weighted
    CLASSES: School did not offer APs. Took all honors classes, 5 dual enrollment classes, and a class at my local community college.

White Male
    Private religious school
    NJ resident

EC's:

Founder/President of my school's Model United Nations club (3 years)
    Member of National Honors Society (senior year)
    Officer in Student Government (3 years)
    Debate club (2 years)
    Three missions trips
    Regular volunteer work
    Part-time job 15 hours/week (3 years)

Reflection: I'm very happy with my admissions results, however, looking back I wish I had been more realistic regarding price. Even with scholarships, the vast majority of the schools on my list were still not affordable. Regardless, I am beyond excited to be a Hoosier this fall! My advice to prospective applicants: Don't get so hung up on a school's "prestige." Don't obsess over the USNews rankings - HYPMS are not the be all and end all. Find the school where you feel most at home. and the rest will fall into place. Good luck!
  • SienaRoseSienaRose Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    ACCEPTED: Chapman, UC Santa Cruz, University of British Columbia

WAITLISTED: Pomona (ATTENDING), NYU

REJECTED: Stanford (ED), Pitzer, Northeastern, Brown, Tufts, UC Berkeley

Major: Politics

Stats:

SAT: 1430
    GPA: 4.8 Weighted
    CLASSES: Took all IB courses 10th-12th. Full candidate for diploma and received my IB Diploma

White female
    Born and raised in Hawai'i

EC's:
    Editor of Yearbook
    President of Amnesty International
    Board member for an organization that provides education to women in Zambia
    Lots of clubs

Reflection: I faced a lot of rejections but ended up getting off the waitlist for Pomona College which turned out to be an amazing fit for me and they provided plenty of financial aid. I'm very happy in the end and I think Pomona really got my essays and personality.
  • jeg707jeg707 Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    Admissions Results Class of 2022

Accepted: UCSB, UCD (Attending), SJSU, SFSU, CSUEB, CSUS
    Waitlisted:
    Rejected: UCB, UCI

Objective
    SAT I: 1160 [570 ERBW / 590 M]
    ACT: N/A
    SAT II: N/A
    UC GPA: 3.65 [UW] / 3.88 [W/C]
    CSU GPA: 3.86
    AP: World History , English Lang. & Comp. , English Lit. & Comp. , Statistics
    IB: N/A
    Major Awards: N/A

Subjective
    Extracurriculars:
    -Babysitting [6th-12th]
    -Graphic Design [7th-12th]
    -ASB Leadership [11th]
    -Chess Club [11th-12th]
    -eCommerce Business [12th]
    Internship/Work Experience: Busboy [11th]
    Volunteer/Community Service: Peer Tutor [11th-12th / 300+ hours]
    Summer Activities: eCommerce Business
    UC Essays: Highlighted intellectual curiosity and overcoming challenges [8/10]

UC Augmented Review
    UC Berkeley (Letters of Recommendation):
    -Teacher [AP English]: Unable to read [-/-]
    -Mentor [Professor]: Aligned my personality and individuality to ‘Berkeley’s values’ [9/10]
    UC Davis (Supplemental Questionnaire):
    -Questions: Responded to 18 questions on socioeconomically disadvantaged circumstances
    -Recommendation: ‘Truly Extraordinary’ for all subtopics [10/10]

Other
    Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
    Intended Major: Software Engineering / Computer Engineering / Computer Science
    State: California
    School Type: Public
    Ethnicity: Asian
    Income Bracket: Low
    Hooks (URM, first generation, etc.): N/A
  • abb52300abb52300 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Class of 2022
    White male, medium size suburban public school, high income bracket
    We don't have class rank but I'd guess about 25th/300 graduating seniors

Accepted: Tufts (attending), Georgetown (deferred EA), UMich Ross, GW (+20k/year), BU (didn't get Trustee Scholarship), SUNY Binghamton (+full scholarship)
    Waitlisted: Vanderbilt
    Denied: Princeton, USC

GPA: 3.98 UW, 4.22 weighted
    Took SAT once, 790 math 740 english
    SATII: 800 math 2, 800 Italian, 720 chem (don't take chem if you haven't taken AP chem lol)
    AP: 5 on English Lit&Lang, Italian, Calc BC, US History, US Politics&Gov, Macro&Micro Econ, 4 on Physics 1, Environmental Science
    National Honor Society VP, National Merit Scholar

Activities:
    4 yrs football, captain senior year
    4 yrs swimming
    2 yrs tennis, captain junior year
    Elite school choir (section leader senior year), All-State choir senior year
    Created, directed and composed for an a cappella group at school
    Work year-round as a lifeguard and delivering pizza (best job ever if they supply the car)

Application:
    Intended major of Econ, pre-law
    Common App essay: very strong, talked about the intersections between sport and music and how both make me a better student
    Supplements: meh, generic, although my "Why Tufts" one was pretty great
    I was tempted to be playful and funny in my essays but ended up taking them really seriously and I think that was the right move.

Reflection: make sure your essay topics match your resume, I wrote about my interest in law for my USC supplement despite having no experience or expertise in the area and it cost me. And make sure your safeties are REAL safeties. Too many of my friends got screwed.
    Good Luck everyone!