right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Chance Me at Top Universities?

hyunjinskzhyunjinskz 2 replies2 threadsRegistered User New Member
edited September 22 in What Are My Chances?
Hey please chance me at top universities :) I'm looking to apply ED to Northwestern,
Cornell, Vanderbilt, UChicago, or Brown

I've gotten two Bs in high school and the rest are As
I've taken 18 AP tests, 15 5s, 3 4s and 5 of them were self-studies.

ACT: 35
SAT II: Bio E: 800, Math 800 going to take chem
Purposely going to be somewhat vague for privacy reasons :)
ECs:
1. HOSA co-founder/president senior year (3 years)
2. Researching internship at a UC since the summer of ninth grade(hundreds of hours)
3. non-profit organization volunteer (secretary, vp, president) basically organization that empowers people with disabilities (9-12)
4. founder/president of neuro health club at my school(9-12)
5. Yearbook Staff Member for 2 years editor for senior year
6. JV Tennis 2 years then Varsity 2 years
7. Creative writing president club from 10-12
8. Volunteer at non-profit organization with kid immigrants that are in very poor circumstances (9-12)
9. debate( 3 years)
10. student editor for student-run journal (10-12)

I tried to show that I'm interested in STEM but to stand out, I've focused a lot on my passion for writing as well.

I'm a National AP Scholar, won a Silver Scholastic Key, gotten top 3 at my local county science fair for psychology/behavioral sciences, gotten multiple school awards, been in the final round for a neuroscience competition for regionals.

I'm an Asian American at a very competitive public high school with 800+ students in my grade where about 40 percent of the students are also Asian.
My wanted major is neuroscience or biopsychology.

I also worked a job for almost a year
please chance me!
and what school do you think is the best for me to ED to?

edited September 22
6 replies
Post edited by skieurope on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chance Me at Top Universities?

• IamReallyScaredIamReallyScared 5 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Hi! You're grades are definitely enough for the schools you are applying to. Your extracurriculars are definitely pretty well rounded. Just asking though, do you have any awards? It seems you seem to do research and are involved in your community. Furthermore, what is your GPA and how many AP classes have you taken? Without any major awards, I would say that you have a chance of getting in.
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 2229 replies38 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Go on and apply. Your stats are in the ballpark. I don't see anything in your ECs as a super standout, but you are still a strong applicant. Match yourself carefully and well in the "Why Us?" essay.
    · Reply · Share
  • hyunjinskzhyunjinskz 2 replies2 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Whoops! I forgot about GPA. I've gotten two B+ in high school overall and I've taken 18 AP Tests throughout high school and 14 5s and 3 4s.
    · Reply · Share
  • hyunjinskzhyunjinskz 2 replies2 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Some awards that I've gotten include the Congressional Gold Award, a Scholastic silver key, a certification in biotechnology from my community college, multiple school awards, National AP Scholar, and I've made it to the finals of a regionals neuroscience competition. I plan my major to be neuroscience or neuropsychology.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7984 replies82 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 22
    Northwestern, Chicago, Vanderbilt, Cornell & Brown have distinct differences and program offerings such that you need to decide which is the best fit for you.

While I see many similarities among Northwestern, Cornell and Vanderbilt, Brown & Chicago stand out for their academic cultures. One is structured and highly demanding, while the other offers freedom & minimal pressure.

Of the 5 universities, only Cornell has a rural / semi-rural location. Not a major concern, however, because Cornell has a very large student population.

P.S. Your class rank & course rigor are important factors which you did not cover in your post.

P.P.S. It might help to list your likes and dislikes for each of the 5 universities to which you intend to apply.
    edited September 22
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34124 replies377 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Urgent?

The B grades, 4 scores canbe a competitive problem and the number of total (and self studied) APs are not tips. Passions play less than many think.

If you've had the internship since 9th grade, did a connection get you that? What do *you* actually do, in the volunteer work? Is writing a genuine drive, something you *will* continue in college- or more an EC?

My bet is you will get past first cut at those. But it hinges on how you pull the actual app package together. To do that well, you need to know these colleges' values and wants well. There is no tip just for applying by an Early deadline.
    · Reply · Share