right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Chance my daughter-UVA, VT, Vanderbilt, UChicago

kcr1010kcr1010 2 replies2 threadsRegistered User New Member
Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 1460 (760 reading/700 math)
SAT II: none taken
GPA: 4.45 (projected after 1st semester; right now is a 4.3)
AP classes taken: AP World, AP Calc AB, AP Lang, APUSH
Senior Year Courseload: AP lit, AP gov, public speaking, AP Spanish, AP Environmental Science, AP Calc BC, Band
(has taken all honors/AP except for academic chemistry and academic physics in her sophomore/junior year)

Subjective:

Founded a startup and leadership institute; won a few local awards
Acceptance into a local entrepreneurship program
Developed an app on the App Store
section leader in band
local musical volunteering
Local Youth band
Lead trumpet in cultural group
Minor stuff-school clubs, honor societies

Common App essay: 9/10; unique and personal

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: Not sure
Intended Major: Finance
State: Virginia
Ethnicity: Asian
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chance my daughter-UVA, VT, Vanderbilt, UChicago

• HamurtleHamurtle 2524 replies33 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The SAT is kind of low for an Asian. If you’re from NoVa, even lower compared to the typical Asian student. Also I don’t see any AP scores listed.

The class ranking seems low compared to the WGPA. What is the unweighted GPA?

Vanderbilt might be a reach since they love high SAT scores.

Chicago does not have an undergraduate business major, so the path would be Economics. Give them a try since they are test-optional. Also Wake Forest as well.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 2229 replies30 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Agree with the above comments.

Adding: Vandy does not have a finance major either, so your D would be looking at economics there as well.

Finance at UVA is in the McIntyre School of Commerce, which is competitive admission after spending two years in school of arts and sciences. https://www.commerce.virginia.edu/undergrad/application-process-high-school
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29413 replies58 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Your DD’s GC will be able to give her the best rundown on her chances at the state schools. There should be good records as to how students from her high school do in applications to those schools.

As for Vanderbilt and Chicago, they are high reaches for even the best students these days. Your daughter should apply to them if she really wants to give them a try. No problem with having some reach schools. Just make sure she picks some safety schools as well. She has great stats and there are a lot of schools that would love to have her as a student
    · Reply · Share
  • kcr1010kcr1010 2 replies2 threadsRegistered User New Member
    edited September 15
    Yes, we are from NOVA, but on Naviance it says that her scores are above the average for UVA and are in the ballpark for past acceptances there. Her unweighted GPA is a 4.0, but her rank is low because her school offers both dual enrollment and AP (both for a 1 point boost to the GPA). These are the first 2 years the school has offered DE and a lot of students in her grade took them to get the same grade boost as AP, even though they are significantly easier, essentially getting easy As without the work of APs. She has gotten 5s on all exams taken. @Hamurtle
    edited September 15
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29413 replies58 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You are fortunate to be in a state with good in state choices. Good that she is at a school that is well known to the top state schools, and it looks like she is good to go there. I’d still pick a sure thing safety, a non binding rolling admissions or early action school so that she has that acceptance early. It gets nerve wracking when you have nothing until spring.
    · Reply · Share
  • HamurtleHamurtle 2524 replies33 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 15
    @kcr1010 Virginia should be a match and VaTech a safety given your home state’s mandate to take a certain number of in-state students with good grades/scores.

If the SAT score was 1500+ I would suggest WashU Olin as a target school, although I might take out one of the reaches that doesn’t have an undergraduate business school and replace it with WashU if I were you. Perhaps keep Chicago in the mix since it’s test optional and replace Vandy with WashU.
    edited September 15
    · Reply · Share
  • airway1airway1 725 replies3 threadsRegistered User Member
    For NOVA it will also depend on how many students apply from her high school. Both sons graduated from Marshall and I watched kids with higher states being rejected by Vtech and Virginia because of the numbers applying from their high school. Fairfax has its disadvantages with very smart kids!
    · Reply · Share