right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What is best option for me ives ? Should I go with ED vs RD for Yale or Rice? what are my chances ?

middletonWI5middletonWI5 2 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
ACT :35 (E36,M35,S35,R35)
GPA: 3.94 (UW)
SAT subject Test : Math -2 : 730 , Chem: 720 : Bio : 670
11 AP's (Math AB-5 BC -4 ,Bio - 4 Chem - 3 and others Most 4's)
State: Wisconsin
Major : Pre-Med track (Neuro mostly) : Most interested option is 8yrs BS/MD program)

Awards :
1.Outstanding Academic Achievement Award
2.AP Scholar with Distinction
3.The National Society of High School Scholars
4.Honor Roll
5.Rivalry Scholar Student-Athlete Scholarship Award with scholarship of $2000
6.Solo and Ensemble
7.National Federation festivals -Violin superior rating for 5 years in sequence

Many EC's :
HOSA : Health Occupations Students of America Club - Communications director
National Honor Society (NHS)
Project Empower- Bringing underrepresented students to the STEM field
WASC Leadership camp past 4 years (Level 1-4)
Orchestra- Wisconsin Youth Symphony Orchestra for 5 years
Private Violin Lessons for 8 years
Hospital Volunteer at SSM St. Mary’s
Math Team

Sports :
Varsity Football for 4 years
Rugby Team for 2 years
Weight Lifting
16 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What is best option for me ives ? Should I go with ED vs RD for Yale or Rice? what are my chances ?

• awesomepolyglotawesomepolyglot 3856 replies69 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If you're absolutely in love with Rice and can afford it, then ED.
    A word of advice: Don't put NSHSS in your app.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22838 replies2247 threadsVerified Member Senior Member
    edited September 17
    IMO ED should only be used if the following conditions are met:
    1) the school is your absolute top choice; and
    2) the school appears affordable (run net price calculator) and your family has no desire/need to compare financial offers from different colleges.
    edited September 17
    · Reply · Share
  • ricegradricegrad 38 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    You have an above-average ACT score, average AP and subject test scores, and a nice combination of athletic and musical accomplishments. I'd give you a 60-70 percent chance of being admitted to the university (rising to about 90 percent if you are a URM).

As to when you should apply, Rice does give a slight preference to ED applicants but it is only slight. However in many cases this is more than offset by the inferior monetary situation you put yourself in by applying ED. @happy1 is quite right that applying ED means you can't compare financial aid offers from other universities, but in addition to that, if you encounter any glitches that delay the processing of your financial aid materials at Rice, it is possible you won't even know Rice's aid offer before you must decide whether to accept a slot in their entering class. For all those reasons ED is not recommended unless you genuinely place Rice as your top choice and would gladly attend with or without aid.
    · Reply · Share
  • Houston1021Houston1021 1103 replies16 threadsForum Champion Rice Forum Champion
    edited September 17
    Are you a potential athletic recruit for football? If so that would help your chances. Rice does not get as many applicants from Wisconsin as from some other states so that may help also.
    edited September 17
    Post edited by Houston1021 on
    · Reply · Share
  • HamurtleHamurtle 2523 replies33 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Better chances at Rice than Yale. I might add Case Western and Rochester to the mix as well.

I would not submit the SAT Subject Test scores. They are fairly low compared to the excellent ACT score.
    · Reply · Share
  • BKSquaredBKSquared 1375 replies7 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You are in the competitive ballpark for both schools, but they are still reaches. I am not a big fan of ED unless it is your number 1 choice and finances are not an issue. Maybe a better option is to apply EA Univ Wisc Madison (with a good chance of a subsequent admission to the Honors program) and SCEA Yale (allowed under Yale SCEA policy). You can see where the chips fall before the end of December in terms of other RD applications.
    · Reply · Share
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk 2430 replies5 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    any hooks - urm, first gen? otherwise go with Rice ED.
    · Reply · Share
  • BookLvrBookLvr 137 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    If a football-playing violinist with a 35 ACT who is an AP Scholar of Distinction and has attended a program for underrepresented minorities in STEM cannot get in to a top college, then I am going to lose faith in the entire admissions enterprise. Those are some very compelling credentials. I think you should choose whichever one you like better. Go out there and write a KILLER ESSAY, get those STELLAR letters of recommendation lined up, and then GO CRUSH THIS PROCESS!
    · Reply · Share
  • Techno13Techno13 175 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I agree the SAT Subjects scores are low compared to the rest-- consider not sending. Make sure you can pay before you go ED. Good luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • middletonWI5middletonWI5 2 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Thank you for your support.. Any advice for essay please share your thoughts too
    · Reply · Share
  • PrdMomto1PrdMomto1 101 replies5 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I agree with the above. If it's absolutely your top choice and you can afford whatever the calculator shows you'd have to pay, I'd apply ED. Otherwise, stick with RD.

In my opinion, at a school as competitive as Rice, it's hard for people to say what your "odds" are of getting in. My daughter is a freshman there (and also from Wisconsin) and I truly believe it's the perfect fit for her. However, I felt like the admissions process was pretty unpredictable. Seeing what schools my DD and her friends got into (and didn't get into) was at times surprising. Make sure that you have a list of schools to apply to that include some true "safety" schools for you and some you know you can afford. My DD had quite a few friends who after comparing financial add offers chose to stick with Madison or Minnesota simply because they were more affordable than their top choice schools out of state.
    · Reply · Share
  • gluestick2gluestick2 2 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Like everyone else said, maybe consider not sending the Math II scores. Also just be wary of ED and everything that comes with it. You are a competitive applicant for both schools, so my advice is to write the best essay you can! Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • RiversiderRiversider 838 replies101 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited September 19
    ED Rice. Your demographics doesn’t do well at Yale. Most likely to u’ll get waitlisted and sent to RD competition at Yale. At Rice, ED may actually get you in.
    edited September 19
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55512 replies2894 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Are you a URM or did you work with URMs to introduce them to STEM options For you does STEM equate to your focus on health -related fields?
    And dont list violin lessons. Doesn’t matter. And if weightlifting and the rugby were a while ago (what grades?) or something you were committed to, it may also be of limited benefit.

If you are a URM, what category do you fall into? If you are Asian, it won’t help at Rice.
    · Reply · Share
  • sgopal2sgopal2 3483 replies49 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Here is what I would do:
    1. If you are URM > apply to Yale SCEA
    2. If you are ORM or non-URM > run the NPC for Rice and see if your parents can afford it. If so then apply ED to Rice.

You are in the ballpark for both schools. As others point out, Yale is much more picky. Applying ED to Rice definitely bumps your chances a lot.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7972 replies82 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 22
    Do you want to play football in college ? If so, then you should be a very strong candidate for admission to an elite LAC such as Williams College.

Are you considering any schools beyond Rice & Yale ?

College of William & Mary ?
    edited September 22
    · Reply · Share