right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Chance me for Stanford, MIT, Caltech

FeelsBadMaankFeelsBadMaank 3 replies1 threads New Member
I'm a HS Senior from NJ, graduating from a program in which I receive HS diploma and Associate's Degree from a local community college.

Colleges (biomed engineering):
-Stanford REA
-Caltech
-MIT
-UC Berkely
-UCLA
-GA Tech
-Carnegie Mellon
-RPI
-Case Western
-Rutgers

STATS:

4.0 UW
No weighted GPA offered.

Most rigorous courses offered (no APs, only community college credits, all other honors)

No class ranking

35 ACT (36M, 35S, 35E, 34R)

SAT II: 800 Math 2, 770 Bio M

Listed ECS:
-Independent Research, published and presenting at conference (2 years)
-Researcher at corporate lab (2 years)
-Intern at pharma company (1 summer)
-Varsity soccer (4 years)
-Volunteer at hospital (2 years)
-Work as math tutor (1 year)
-Competitor for SkillsUSA (1 year)
-Math stack exchange and stack overflow contributor (2 years)
-Volunteer for bone marrow registry (1 year)
-Captain for Science Olympiad (1 year)

No Significant Honors:
-2 years NSE silver medal
-NHS, PTK, and school based honors

LoRs:
-From my Anthro and world history teacher, haven't done any ECs with her
-From my junior year bio teacher, who I also have not done any ECs with
-Research mentor of 4 years

I would also love any match schools that you can suggest, I have no preference for location or size of college. Thank you.
12 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chance me for Stanford, MIT, Caltech

• onthewestfenceonthewestfence 245 replies7 threads Junior Member
    @FeelsBadMaank Caltech stresses love of STEM in essay. Consider Harvey Mudd that's located east of Pasadena CA. It's a more relaxed and even smaller version. Stevens is another to look at in Hoboken NJ.
    · Reply · Share
  • Techno13Techno13 223 replies8 threads Junior Member
    I would never call Harvey Mudd "relaxed". But worth looking into. UCs will be hard without weighted courses (APs). I'm not sure how they calculate GPA for CC courses. For a match/likely school consider CO School of Mines. They offer OOS merit $$.
    · Reply · Share
  • svlab112svlab112 597 replies7 threads Member
    For UCs, transferable community college classes will get +1 point for each grade received. For the capped-weighted GPA a maximum 8 points are included in the GPA calculation.
    · Reply · Share
  • FeelsBadMaankFeelsBadMaank 3 replies1 threads New Member
    Thanks for your insight! As for GPA, my HS GPA depends on my CC GPA (it goes down if I don't get an A), but my CC GPA is independent of my HS GPA (it is not affected by my honors courses). Both are out of 4.
    · Reply · Share
  • svlab112svlab112 597 replies7 threads Member
    For UCs, they will not see your HS or CC transcript or what GPA is calculated on these transcripts. You self report the grades and courses into the UC application directly. They recalculate the GPA from what you enter.

If you in enroll in a UC, you send transcripts from each institution and they confirm you entered correctly.

As an OOS, your HS "honors" classes won't receive a grade bump, only your transferable college classes.
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you for the information
    · Reply · Share
  • LilShraLilShra 11 replies9 threads Junior Member
    @FeelsBadMaank I believe that you are a competitive applicant to all the schools you wish to attend. Your ecs are over par and you appear to be a well rounded individual as the v soccer helps
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78551 replies695 threads Senior Member
    Techno13 wrote: »
    UCs will be hard without weighted courses (APs). I'm not sure how they calculate GPA for CC courses.

UCs count transferable college courses taken while in high school as honors courses for +1 weighting when calculating GPAs.
    · Reply · Share
    @LilShra I don't know about that. I feel like my ECs and honors let me down. For example, in my school there's a kid that's started three non-profits and has multiple varsity captain-ships. This is concerning since I've heard you get compared to the other's in your school a lot, to see what kinds of opportunities you had.
    · Reply · Share
    I do not know about that feelsbadmaank. Ur insane research will carry u too any college u wish to attend.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 1664 replies10 threads Senior Member
    @LilShra I don't know about that. I feel like my ECs and honors let me down. For example, in my school there's a kid that's started three non-profits and has multiple varsity captain-ships. This is concerning since I've heard you get compared to the other's in your school a lot, to see what kinds of opportunities you had.

It depends - where did you publish and where did you present? If you published in peer-reviewed journals, that is more impressive than starting a handful on non-profits which do very little and fall to pieces when the kid goes off to college.

It is even more impressive, in many ways, than many of the STEM competition awards. Publishing in a respectable peer-reviewed journal means that your work was judged as a researcher, and held to the same standards as people with PhDs. You are, essentially, sitting at the grownup's table.
    · Reply · Share
    i disagree. i feel as if community service is vital at a school like Stanford.
    · Reply · Share