right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

What Are My Chances Of Getting Into The Following Schools?

Tofuman1Tofuman1 11 replies2 threads New Member
edited December 2019 in What Are My Chances?
Hi, I am a senior applying to the following schools for RD

-Vanderbilt
-The University of Notre Dame (Legacy)
-University of Michigan Ann Arbor (Legacy)

Here Are My Stats

UW: 4.0/4.0 W: 4.475
Percentile: Top 5%, Class Size: 766
Extracurriculars: Co-founded Girls Who STEM Club at local middle school, Internship at OB/GYN Clinic, Varsity STEM Research team, Hospital Volunteer (over 100 hrs of service), President of Chinese Club, JV Cross Country & Track
Honors: IL State Scholar, AP Scholar with Honor, NHS, Chinese National Honors Society
AP Tests: US Gov(5), US history(5), Physics 1 (4)
Test Score: ACT(30), SAT(1380)
Recommendation: Letter from UND Professor
Ethnicity/Religion: Black, Roman Catholic

I recently just missed my last chance to retake the SAT/ACT, so this is pretty much all I'm left with. Sidenote, my Standardized test scores are really low for these schools (which you've probably noted), so I'm still unsure on whether I should bother applying to them.
edited December 2019
14 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What Are My Chances Of Getting Into The Following Schools?

• aminelachaminelach 3 replies1 threads New Member
    How many AP classes did you take overall?
    · Reply · Share
  • Tofuman1Tofuman1 11 replies2 threads New Member
    9 and half
    · Reply · Share
  • iusedtobesmartiusedtobesmart 37 replies6 threads Junior Member
    I'd say u have a good shot a u mich. My dad went there with a ~1200 and a great gpa for one of their most competitive majors, so u should have a good shot
    · Reply · Share
  • tgl2023tgl2023 266 replies6 threads Junior Member

Tofuman1 wrote: »
    Hi, I am a senior applying to the following schools for RD
    -Vanderbilt
    -The University of Notre Dame (Legacy)
    -University of Michigan Ann Arbor (Legacy) ...
    ....so I'm still unsure on whether I should bother applying to them.
    Do apply; your grades, ECs, and to a lesser extent, legacy and URM status are working in your favor.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 1854 replies13 threads Senior Member
    State of residency?

For ND, everything is good except the ACT/SAT which are in the bottom 25%. Legacy gives you a boost, no question, an being black and catholic also will help. Your volunteer work is also very good.

I don't know whether you have to apply ED for your legacy status to help. It is a reach, at 27%, however, ND has said that legacies were accepted last year at 36%. If your SAY=T were higher., I would say that it could be a target. As it is, it's more likely a high target/low reach, though I may be underestimating your chances.

According to U Michigan, they no longer consider legacy status. It may or may not be true. However, the in-state acceptance rate is 41%, and your SAT, while lowish, is within their mid 50%, while your GPA is above average, and GPA is more important than SAT for Michigan. Michigan does not consider race in admissions.

So, if you are in-state for Michigan, I would say that it is a high target. If you are out of state, it is a reach.
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you so much for the input!
    · Reply · Share
    Noted! Thank you so much for the input!
    · Reply · Share
  • aquaptaquapt 2259 replies47 threads Senior Member
    You have a terrific record. Your test scores are a little soft for these schools, as you note, but the URM bump, plus legacy, may offset that. You've got a chance, certainly, and that's all that can be said of most applicants at schools this competitive.

One of the points of debate around legacy admissions is that favoring legacies works against cultivating diversity. Statistically this is true, but you're the exception, and that may position you well. https://ndsmcobserver.com/2019/04/admins-students-discuss-legacies/

At the same time, make sure you have matches and safeties that you love, because the odds are long and there's a significant chance that you won't end up at one of these reach schools. Nonetheless, you've certainly got a enough chance of a chance to making applying worthwhile (assuming your financial profile is such that you could attend these schools without taking on debt, with or without need-based aid). Best of luck!
    · Reply · Share
    Noted! Thank you so much for the input!
    · Reply · Share
  • GoBears2023GoBears2023 745 replies9 threadsForum Champion Summer Programs Forum Champion
    Good shot. Fantastic ECs and pretty good stats!
    · Reply · Share
    Thank You so much for the input!
    · Reply · Share
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk 2583 replies5 threads Senior Member
    OP are you from Illinois and female? First your scores are totally fine, and even if UM doesn't consider race, female STEM would have advantages. Female, STEM, URM would put you in really good shape at colleges that consider race. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you so much for the input!
    · Reply · Share