right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Could I receive admission into a high-level college?

homeworkdoer456homeworkdoer456 2 replies1 threads New Member
I am currently a junior in high school, and have been looking forward to my future academically.
My dream school is UNC Chapel Hill, and I really hope I get accepted there when I apply.
My grades are above average, and I have not received a B so far on my high school transcript, while taking the hardest classes possible.
But, at the moment, I am struggling in 2 community college classes, and am expecting B’s in both of them. Though it affects my grade as an AP class, I am disappointed in the grade I have.
My GPA is currently 4.375, with my class rank being 5th out of 181.
My preACT score was the best in my class, at 29.
My PSAT score was also the best in my class, at 1320.
Assuming these scores can translate to the actual tests, and the two B’s are the only ones I receive in high school, do I have a shot of getting into UNC Chapel Hill? If not, what would be a good alternate school in NC if I intend to pursue a career in physical therapy?
Extracurriculars I have include:
Varsity Football
Varsity Track and Field
National Beta Club
Poetry Club
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Could I receive admission into a high-level college?

• user_3565627user_3565627 27 replies9 threads Junior Member
    Do you have an official SAT or ACT score?
    · Reply · Share
  • PrdMomto1PrdMomto1 248 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Do you live in NC?
    · Reply · Share
  • homeworkdoer456homeworkdoer456 2 replies1 threads New Member
    edited December 2019
    PrdMomto1 wrote: »
    Do you live in NC?
    Yes
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • homeworkdoer456homeworkdoer456 2 replies1 threads New Member
    Do you have an official SAT or ACT score?

Not at the moment, but I will be taking the official ACT in February and intend to take the SAT around that time as well
    · Reply · Share
  • YawnmomYawnmom 30 replies1 threads Junior Member
    While your grades are excellent, your pre-ACT score is low. To be competitive at getting into UNC-Chapel Hill, you should aim for a 32 or higher. I would recommend getting a coach, or taking a prep course.
    · Reply · Share
  • Slytherin21Slytherin21 7 replies1 threads New Member
    I'd say your class isn't the best class out there if 1320 was the highest PSAT. I would say aim to get a 1450+ on SAT or 33+ on the ACT to have a good chance at getting in. Also, you have a good chance to get into UNC since they accept most of their people from North Carolina.
    · Reply · Share
  • aquaptaquapt 2266 replies47 threads Senior Member
    How sure are you about pursuing PT?

If this is something you're really set on, you'll need to very seriously weigh the appeal of "dream schools" vs. that of direct-entry physical therapy opportunities. Getting into PT grad programs is quite difficult - not really any easier than getting into med school. You'll need to be very GPA-focused, do well on the GRE, accumulate volunteer/shadowing hours... there will be pressure throughout your undergrad years to make the cut when it comes time to apply.

On the other hand, if you are accepted to a direct-entry program (most likely at a somewhat less "elite" school), you will just need to maintain the specified level of academic performance to continue in the program. Once you graduate and pass your boards, nobody will care whether you went to Chapel Hill or Slippery Rock or Shenandoah or Marquette.

There are some schools with top-tier reputations overall, that also have direct-entry PT programs. (Northeastern and BU, for example.) But wherever you apply, getting a direct-entry offer will be more competitive than general admission to the same school would be. Also, most direct-entry schools are private, so there's also the question of your financial profile and which kind of schools will be affordable for you.

Here's just one example of a direct-entry, six-year PT program, at Ithaca College. https://www.ithaca.edu/academics/school-health-sciences-and-human-performance/physical-therapy/six-year-clinical-doctorate

Are you hoping to pursue any of your sports in college? That's another factor to take into account.

Try to log some volunteer/observation time at a PT practice this year - you will need that if you do apply to direct-entry programs, and it's never a bad idea to get some exposure to your field of interest.
    · Reply · Share