right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Nobody is answering my questions

Jcara514Jcara514 5 replies4 threads New Member
So I posted a chance me Boston University post about a month ago and nobody answered... but 145 people saw it. I posted it again and got the same result. Then, I post another one for Vassar and nobody answered that one either... am I doing something wrong???
11 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Nobody is answering my questions

• daunt18daunt18 119 replies6 threads Junior Member
    Vassar and BU to an extent are niche colleges compared to the usual ones you see here. 150:1 is around the view:response rate on such threads. Also, you're a senior, don't worry about chances anymore.

I only know about BU, so I'll chance you for that.
    Your stats are a bit low, esp your ACT. Your ECs are mediocre, but your volunteerism is great. It's really a tossup.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 3362 replies63 threads Senior Member
    edited February 10
    I don't know why no one is commenting....but I agree with the above...why ask for a chance now?

No one here can estimate a probability of acceptance, because we have no visibility to very important pieces of your app: essays, LoRs, # of core courses and rigor.

I would categorize all 4 of the schools you are asking about as reaches. Did their Net Price Calculators suggest each would be affordable, if admitted?

I hope that you have applied to more schools including match/targets and at least one affordable safety. Have you been accepted/deferred/denied anywhere yet?
    edited February 10
    · Reply · Share
  • one1ofeachone1ofeach 811 replies17 threads Member
    I went and looked at your threads. You might have a chance at vassar since you’re male and men are under represented there. Your grades are a bit low. You could very well get into one of the schools you listed.

I actually disagree that your volunteering is great. I think it’s fairly weak. Working at your mom’s job isn’t volunteering, neither is working at a summer camp - those are summer jobs. IMO tutoring is an ultra standard and not very compelling ec unless you’re tutoring a really compelling population.

Anything you did in middle school is completely immaterial and will be seen as filler if it’s on a college app.

Here’s the thing, if you already applied and you’re a senior there’s nothing our chancing you can do so maybe that’s why people aren’t responding.
    · Reply · Share
  • Jcara514Jcara514 5 replies4 threads New Member
    @Mwfan1921 yes I have applied to many safety schools and got in to 7 colleges so far(Marist, Quinnipiac University, Hofstra, Fairfield University, Stony Brook, Fordham, St. John’s). However I was deferred from Villanova so idk what will happen. Also, for RD i applied to Lafayette, Boston University, Wesleyan University, and Vassar.
    · Reply · Share
    Jcara514 wrote: »
    @Mwfan1921 yes I have applied to many safety schools and got in to 7 colleges so far(Marist, Quinnipiac University, Hofstra, Fairfield University, Stony Brook, Fordham, St. John’s). However I was deferred from Villanova so idk what will happen. Also, for RD i applied to Lafayette, Boston University, Wesleyan University, and Vassar.

Congratulations on your acceptances! Are any within your budget?

Good luck with the RD schools, and Villanova deferral. Did you send a letter of continued interest to Villanova?
    · Reply · Share
    @one1ofeach Ill be more specific.... For my summer camp, I was a Counselor in Training. I did not get paid, and (according to many sources) it was considered volunteer work. My task was to participate in sport activities with campers. I handled snacks and helped counselors with field trip information. I forgot to mention that I volunteered at a public library as someone who helped at the front desk. I also have a part time job (4 days a week, ~20 hrs a week) as a supermarket cashier all year round. My job has not been flexible so that’s why my volunteer work is mediocre but I def get your point.
    · Reply · Share
    @Mwfan1921 All of them have given me really good financial aid(except Fordham, who only gave me $27,500 out of their $80,000 tuition). And yeah I have sent a big email of continued interest to them. My mid year report is amazing(3 APs 2 College Courses, 1QTR: 94 UW and 2QTR: 96 UW and about a 106.8 W)
    · Reply · Share
    Jcara514 wrote: »
    @Mwfan1921 All of them have given me really good financial aid(except Fordham, who only gave me $27,500 out of their $80,000 tuition). And yeah I have sent a big email of continued interest to them. My mid year report is amazing(3 APs 2 College Courses, 1QTR: 94 UW and 2QTR: 96 UW and about a 106.8 W)

No surprise Fordham is a laggard wrt fin aid.

Good job on the LOCI, and great mid year report. There's nothing you can do now but wait for RD decisions.

Good luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 7243 replies70 threads Senior Member
    A lot of people don't do 'chancing' for seniors after apps are in, b/c there is no point: done is done. I suggest you get off CC & come back when you have results!
    · Reply · Share
  • HippobirdyHippobirdy 620 replies1 threads Member
    Visit your affordable safeties and have backup plan ready while you wait.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 23366 replies2314 threads Senior Member
    edited February 10
    Chancing is a pointless exercise IMO. You can look at the class profiles of each school and see where your academics fall as easily as anyone else can. And people on CC have no access to things that are often make or break applications to competitive schools such as your essays, LORs, etc. It sounds like you have some nice acceptances already so all you can do now is keep busy while you wait (preferably not by posting repetitive chance threads) .
    edited February 10
    · Reply · Share