right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Chance me for Stanford, Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon, GTech, Duke

TriviallyAbelianTriviallyAbelian 1 replies2 threads New Member
Hi, I'm a junior and will be applying to Top CS schools next year (as well as safeties obv).

Intended Major(s): Computer Science

Demographic: Chinese Male

ACT/SAT/SAT II: SAT: 1560 SAT Math II: 800 SAT Chemistry: 790

UW/W GPA and Rank: UW - 3.91 W - 4.61: Rank: 4/450

High School Coursework: Chem(5) Bio(5) APUSH(5) Calc BC(5) Physics 1(5) AP Lang(4) AP Stats(5) Chinese(5)

College Coursework: Calculus 3, Linear Algebra, Discrete Mathematics, Number Theory, Abstract Algebra 1, Abstract Algebra 2, General Topology, Data Structures with Java.

Awards:

AIME Qualifier

National Merit SemiFinalist

IBM Applied Artificial Intelligence Certificate

RCM Piano Level 10

American Computer Science League(ACSL) National All-Star Qualifier

USACO Gold

Extracurriculars:

Piano- Played for 12 years. Participate in Competitions, RCM Exams. Completed up to Level 10 Piano performance, Counterpoint, Harmony, and Theory.

Cello- Over 8 years, All-State Orchestra, First Chair School Chamber Orchestra

Volunteering- Lead volunteer for a music performing group, performing at various places such as hospitals and nursing homes. Lead coach for local Mathcounts team

Tennis- 5 years, Varisty Tennis- school is top 5 in the state.

Math Club- Officer, Teach competition math. Do MuAlphaTheta and other competitions, such as ARML, where I am on the state team.

Ross Math Program- Regarded as the most intensive and selective residential summer math program focusing on number theory.

Comp Sci Club- Co-President of Schools Computer Science Club, teach comp sci and partake in competitions (ACSL, hackathons, etc)

Teacher Assistant- TA for a 4th-year Undergraduate math course. I grade homework, projects, and exams. Additionally, I teach and help the professor maintain the class.

Pure Math Research- 1 Publication in pure mathematics(Graph Theory). Also, I work with a professor at my State University for math research.

Machine Learning- Been learning Machine Learning in my spare time. I have completed multiple AI courses on Coursera, as well as completing IBM Applied AI Certificate. Combined neural network deep learning algorithms into my research in Graph Theory.

Schools: Carnegie Mellon Early Decision, Stanford, Cornell, Columbia, Duke
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chance me for Stanford, Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon, GTech, Duke

• Aryakhan81Aryakhan81 25 replies6 threads Junior Member
    Your math pathway is INCREDIBLE!!! In what year did you take AP Calc BC?
    · Reply · Share
  • GoBears2023GoBears2023 Forum Champion Summer Programs 766 replies9 threads Forum Champion
    Wow, hello fellow Ross alumni :D

I think you have a good shot at CMU SCS if you ED. I'm fairly certain that you'll get in as long as your essays are good. As for the others:
    Stanford: low chance, you're asian and I know at least 30 other kids who have almost the same profile
    Berkeley: EECS --> 50/50, L&S CS --> you're in
    GTech --> depends if you are instate or not. I would bet you would get in regardless
    Duke --> This one throws me off, why Pratt? Other schools like UT Austin, Purdue, and UIUC have much stronger cs programs.
    · Reply · Share