right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Should I Take Physics If I Want to Major In Pro Flight Even If I Suck At The Subject?

TheAverageNerdTheAverageNerd 43 replies28 threads Junior Member
Hey guys

So quick questions. I want to major in professional flight at schools like Purdue, Auburn, Ohio State, Baylor, etc. Along with Greek, Latin, and other languages. Would it hurt me to take regular environmental science instead of physics. The problem is, I feel physics may drop my GPA because I suck at it. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
14 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should I Take Physics If I Want to Major In Pro Flight Even If I Suck At The Subject?

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 9830 replies110 threads Senior Member
    Most colleges are going to want to see a HS course in bio, chem, and physics on your transcript. It doesn't need to be AP. Get a tutor if you know it's going to be a struggle.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 82767 replies738 threads Senior Member
    At least some aviation major programs in college require physics in college. It will be harder if you have not had physics in high school.

Why do you think that you are bad at physics if you have not taken it yet?
    · Reply · Share
  • TheAverageNerdTheAverageNerd 43 replies28 threads Junior Member
    Because I am horrible at chemistry.
    · Reply · Share
    Do colleges really care about physics that much?
    · Reply · Share
    Is there no way that environmental science can substitute for physics? Even on the AP level?
    · Reply · Share
  • Conformist1688Conformist1688 1220 replies29 threads Senior Member
    For college admission in general, maybe, although it would be a weaker application.

But you absolutely will need college level physics to become a pilot. Maybe you need to look at alternative careers.
    · Reply · Share
    I wouldn’t extrapolate that because chem was a challenge for you that physics will be too. How are you in math? Physics is much more math heavy.

But yes, you need HS physics. No, environmental is not a substitute.

· Reply · Share
    What if i just decide to take physics senior year? How badly would that affect my chances?
    · Reply · Share
    Do colleges still require physics even if I major in Computer Science, business, or political science?
    · Reply · Share
  • 2plustrio2plustrio 305 replies5 threads Member
    Try physics senior year. Prepare to get a tutor.

But now you seem to want to change your major. Computer science is highly competitive and needs strong rigor of course load.
    · Reply · Share
    Colleges want to see bio, chem, and physics taken in HS, regardless of major. For STEM majors, CS included, they would like one of those courses to be at the AP level if offered.

Get a tutor, shore yourself up with support, and take physics.
    · Reply · Share
  • RelicAndTypeRelicAndType 200 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited April 8
    Chemistry is a lot of memorization. Physics is not as much memorization, more math. How are you at math? Also, what physics classes are offered at your school?

Also, how do you define "suck"? What grade did you get in chemistry?
    edited April 8
    · Reply · Share
    i am aiming for a 70 final in chemistry. I deeply struggle at math and chemistry. That is why I am nervous to take physics.
    · Reply · Share
    Well I am taking AP CS Principles. Do I still have to take an AP science class?
    · Reply · Share