right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

What are my chances being black?

ubviolgufvwrbubviolgufvwrb 5 replies2 threads New Member
Black Female in CS

STATS: act-32;gpa-3.5uw,4.0w income: 300k+ Private school

ECS: summer projects, summer research w professor, summer intern at local IT business, robotics, DECA, YouTube channel, science bowl, student ambassador, r/tricking (my unusual hobby), track and field, BritTutor - tutoring services I started, ethical/legal hacking CTFs

Other stuff: college classes, IT certifications

Classes: IB program 4 HLs

No awards.

PLEASE RECOMMEND ME SCHOOLS TO TAKE OFF THIS LIST, I DONT THINK I WILL MENTALLY BE ABLE TO DO THEM ALL

I want a big school in a in city in warm weather with nerdy but have fun and the college experience vibe. Hopefully also good diversity like 50% URM or 5%+ African Americans. Not all of these schools have that, but I still would like to go there

Arizona state - safety

UT Knox (in state) - safety

UMD CP - match

Pitt - match

Ohio state - match

UW Madison - match (I hate the cold but I need more matches)

Penn state - match

Drexel - match

Umiami - reach

Vanderbilt - reach

UCLA, UCSD - reach

Boston U - reach

Rice - reach

USC - reach

UW - reach

Georgia Tech - reach

MIT/Columbia - impossible
22 replies
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What are my chances being black?

• GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 30544 replies422 threads Forum Champion
    edited June 3
    UCLA and UCSD do not consider Race/Ethnicity in their admission decisions. Both will be a Reach for CS but worth an application if you feel strongly about applying.

Calculate your 3 UC GPA’s to see where you stand. The capped weighted UC GPA is the most common GPA listed on the Freshman profile so a 4.0+ Capped weighted will be needed to be competitive. If not in-state, then only AP/IB classes taken 10-11th grades get the extra weighting in the calculation.

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/
    edited June 3
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 7901 replies84 threads Senior Member
    Are finances an issue, or are your parents ready, willing & able to pay full freight? figure the guts of $70K/year OOS for the UCs- and only the FAFSA $5-7K in loans available for aid.

If Az State or UT-K turn out to be your *only* choice, will you cry?

If yes, work on another safety
    If no, great!

Then look at your matches, which are all in pretty cold places except (arguably), UMd. Both UWi and UMd CP for CS are reaches, not matches.

Penn State and Pitt make sense to me, but Drexel doesn't. I'm trusting other posters will know more than I do, but OSU might be a little reachy for CS also?

What about NC-State? It ticks a lot of your boxes.

As for your reaches:

Have you calculated your GPA for the CA schools?

And, why:

Vandy and UMiami? except for the climate, don't seem to tick any of your boxes
    BU? doesn't seem to tick any of your boxes
    · Reply · Share
  • PrdMomto1PrdMomto1 562 replies7 threads Member
    Sometimes state schools might seem like matches when you are looking at stats, but for OOS kids they are not. Madison is a good example. Getting into CS as an OOS student is completely different than as an in-state student. I think it's more of a reach for you. Being an URM might help at Madison but I'm not sure it checks your diversity box.
    · Reply · Share
  • BuckeyeMWDSGBuckeyeMWDSG 1070 replies14 threads Senior Member
    At Ohio State you can study CS through the College of Arts and Sciences or through the College of Engineering (one dept. offers cs classes). Either path requires a minimum gpa in a set of classes to apply to the major. Acceptance to the major unlocks priority registration for the upper division courses required for the major.

https://cse.osu.edu/current-students/undergraduate/majors

The university does not admit by major, your ACT and gpa are good so if you meet the Early Application deadline you can leave it in the match group as long as you don't mind the cold. I will warn you though, Ohio State has become very popular in state and you may not have a decision until spring even if you meet the EA deadline.
    · Reply · Share
  • coolguy40coolguy40 2910 replies8 threads Senior Member
    A good school to consider for great merit aid is Univ of Alabama. That one would probably meet all of your criteria. Also check out Univ of AZ. Other schools to consider are LSU, Ole' Miss, Miss State, Texas State, and Auburn. These schools aren't cutthroat selective about CS either. You really don't want that for a CS degree. It's ridiculously employable regardless of what school you choose.
    · Reply · Share
  • ubviolgufvwrbubviolgufvwrb 5 replies2 threads New Member
    @collegemom3717 I wouldn't mind Arizona state because its pretty well known for CS and has the culture and vibe I'm looking I think. UTK I would hate to stay in Tennessee, but if I have to I have to.

I have asked them multiple times if they would be okay paying 70k a year and they said they would be able to without struggling to do so.

UC GPA: weighted and capped 4.0

Why doesn't Umiami, vandy, bu check any boxes? I'm trying to remove schools off my list, so why do you think I should take these off?

I probably won't end up applying to madison and drexel, but why do you think I shouldn't? What is different of drexel and pitt/penn state?

And I'll check out NC state
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 30394 replies59 threads Senior Member
    Some questions here: How much are your parents able and willing to pay? It is doubtful you will get any financial aid at a $300k income situation unless there are some unusual situations. Even so, you will likely to be offered loans only. How much are your parents will to borrow each year for college?

I think you have a good list that you need to thoroughly vet. Do your choices have direct entry computer science programs? Do you have at least one school where you are pretty much guaranteed to get into computer science? Do your schools have the racial diversity you want?

Unless you need financial/merit money, you have a good list, I think.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 7901 replies84 threads Senior Member
    preface: I am not a CS expert, and there are people on CC who are! But, in my not-expert / just on what I hear view, you have other schools on your list that have stronger CS programs than UMiami (Fl, yes?), Vandy, BU and Drexel, and BU and Drexel don't tick your weather box. Because you said that you wanted to cut your list, that seemed an obvious place to start :-)
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2boys1999mom2boys1999 158 replies14 threads Junior Member
    Is there a reason why you are avoiding HBCUs?
    · Reply · Share
    @mom2boys1999 I want to become apart of black culture because I have been so separated from it, but I don't think I would fit in an only black school. I know it sounds bad, but it is the truth. Even with some of the black people at my school, I just don't fit in. I don't really fit in anywhere though, so going to a PWI would have a more diverse set of people.
    · Reply · Share
  • Boxcar101Boxcar101 60 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited June 3
    I think you're going to be a very strong candidate.

Arizona State meets all of your criteria, has a strong CS program, and should be your number 1 safety. In fact, I think it's better than most of the matches in terms of CS. If you like ASU you should only pick one more safety and then go all reaches, knowing that ASU is a better than anything else on your list until you get to the reaches.

Then I would go Vandy, Rice, USC, Georgia Tech and MIT Miami, UCLA UCSD.

Basically, ASU unless you hit the lotto, which you very well may.

Good luck!
    edited June 3
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 30544 replies422 threads Forum Champion
    Below are the admit rates based on the UC Capped weighted GPA along with test scores ranges for each campus. This data is not major specific so for CS, expect the admit rate to be lower. Average CS admit ACT score was 35 for 2019.

2019 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 capped weighted and not major specific:
    UCB: 12%
    UCLA: 7%
    UCSD: 33%

2019 UC capped weighted GPA averages along with 25th-75th percentile range:
    UCB: 4.23 (4.15-4.30)
    UCLA: 4.25 (4.18-4.32)
    UCSD: 4.16 (4.03-4.28)

25th - 75th percentiles for ACT composite + language arts
    UCB: 28-35
    UCLA: 29-35
    UCSD: 26-34
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 3
    How will you Apply to that many schools?
    Writing so many essays would take my students a decade.
    @BarbaraCruz I don't want to apply to all of these schools. I need help in removing some. Should I aapply to 1 safety and a couple matches and shotgun the rest?
    edited June 3
    · Reply · Share
  • flamingogirlflamingogirl 44 replies0 threads Junior Member
    from what I've heard umiami is a very diverse school and has a very strong black population but also a 15.8% international student percentage. I'm not sure it has the "nerdy" atmosphere you are looking for though. Vanderbilt also has a high international student percentage, great weather but once again It is a very social school not what I would call nerdy. Have you looked at Northwestern or Carneige Mellon.
    · Reply · Share
  • chmcnmchmcnm 690 replies6 threads Member
    Applying to more than 10 schools can really eat-up time especially with essays. You can only go to one anyway.

I would recommend at least 2 safeties but being URM in CS and full-pay I would definitely aim high after finding 3-4 safeties/matches. Maybe apply ED to the school you love the most.

CS acceptance rates for out-of-state at public schools like UMD-CP and UW are lower, sometimes much lower than the acceptance rates overall for the school CS is very competitive. They might be reaches.

I would lump Pitt, PSU, OSU together. Good schools but cold climate. I'm a Pitt grad.

Drexel is interesting. My son kind of liked it. Quarter system which moves faster and the co-op program pulled him in. Didn't go there in the end. Son loved Miami. Flexible curriculum and pretty campus. Very diverse. You would probably be a match at Miami.

If you like BU and like co-ops I would add Northeastern. I would also add NC State.

Good luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • boudersbouders 2684 replies187 threads Senior Member
    I would take off most of the state schools. You would be getting state quality at a private school price. Focus more on the private schools, but include your in state publics. I'd take a look at Santa Clara U. Maybe look at some of the women's colleges too.

As a black full-pay female interested in CS, you will be very attractive to many schools. CS tends to be a harder admit though. There is an ask me anything thread with a black female student who was admitted to Northwestern for CS this year. Your stats are a little lower than hers though. https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/student-here-ask-me-anything/2187623-got-into-northwestern-for-cs-with-a-low-gpa-ask-me-anything-p1.html
    · Reply · Share
  • PrdMomto1PrdMomto1 562 replies7 threads Member
    How do you feel about your safeties? Do you like them significantly less than your matches? Because I think if you'd feel good about your safeties you could let quite a few matches go. I think your 2 safeties, a couple matches, and then as many reaches as you have time and energy for would be great.

As for reaches...I'd apply to the ones you feel most excited about first and see how many you can get through without burning out. When she was applying, my D just announced one day she was done with applications and was letting go the rest of the schools on her list. About a week later she was regretting not applying to one and crammed a weekend to get it in. Ironically that's the one she ended up at though I think she had some other options that would have worked as well.

I see Rice is on your list and I think it's a great fit for you so I would not take that one off. It's got a strong CS program, warm weather, nerdy but fun vibe, and diverse student body. My D goes there so I'm biased but it does sound a lot like what you're looking for.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 7379 replies34 threads Senior Member
    Not warm weather but checks your boxes would be Michigan State University honors program. It's like 1/2 merit so it's like instate tuition plus many extras like mentorship and guaranteed research with a professor (if you want it). Great mix of diversity. The cold weather, well, it's cold. But not all year long

Check naviance to get a clue
    What are your counselors suggesting?

I also agree with NC state. They have merit also.

I also really like Arizona State since you have it listed.

Tricking? If it's what I think it is could make a very unique essay if you can connect it to your major and or school.

GT is interesting. They had a big push for women and diversity a few years ago. Not sure if your GPA might be low for them but would check the boxes.
    · Reply · Share
  • sgopal2sgopal2 3870 replies52 threads Senior Member
    Take a look at Stevens Institute of Technology. Great CS/STEM and only minutes away from downtown manhattan. Some of the best views of NYC. Great links to internships. Lots of nerds.

If you want the traditional college experience in a warm climate then look at UT Austin. Great CS program and big rah-rah experience.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83455 replies741 threads Senior Member
    edited June 8
    I want to become apart of black culture because I have been so separated from it, but I don't think I would fit in an only black school. I know it sounds bad, but it is the truth. Even with some of the black people at my school, I just don't fit in. I don't really fit in anywhere though, so going to a PWI would have a more diverse set of people.

Be aware that some of the colleges on your list are not predominantly white in terms of their undergraduate students. For example, UCSD 19% white, UCLA 27% white, MIT 31% white.
    edited June 8
    · Reply · Share