right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Spain? Italy? Hawaii? Where do you want to travel WHILE getting college credit? REGISTER NOW for a virtual College Fair on Sept. 29!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Chance me :)

emmapetpetemmapetpet 2 replies2 threads New Member
Hello, my name is Emma. I’m a rising senior who would like to have reasonable expectations about my admissions chances.

State: NJ
Race: white
SAT: 1550 (780 math, 770 reading)
Weighted GPA as of the end of junior year: 4.364
Unweighted GPA: somewhere around 3.8 to 3.9
APs: 5 on Calc AB, 5 on AP Lang, 5 on AP World History, 3 on Chem (probably won’t send this one lol), and I took APUSH but not the exam due to extenuating circumstances. I’m taking 4 APs senior year (Calc BC, Econ, Lit, and Physics C)

I don’t intend on applying for financial aid!

My intended major is physics and I’d ideally like to earn a PhD in nuclear physics in the future.

Honors: AP scholar with honor, recently applied to 3 writing competitions that I’ve yet to hear back from, earned an academic achievement award from my school (it’s pretty useless, honestly)

ECs: weekly volunteer at a food pantry, participate in my local Leo’s Club, part of my school’s audition-only wind ensemble (I’ve also taken private flute lessons since seventh grade), play in another wind ensemble at a local private high school, am VP of my school’s world language honor society, will likely have a leadership position in my school’s yearbook club in the fall, and am a dedicated member of my school’s science national honor society and national English honor society.

Additional information: I struggle with mental health issues and have a 504 plan that grants me accommodations. These issues have impacted my participation with extracurriculars and my overall academic performance. I will be disclosing this on my applications and have written about my experiences in my personal essay. I think I’m a fairly decent writer so my essay is pretty good.

School list:
- UT Austin
- UC Berkeley
- UC Santa Barbara
- Stanford University
- Columbia University
- Case Western Reserve University
- Princeton University
- Harvey Mudd
- Rutgers New Brunswick
- Stevens Institute of Technology

Please note that I’m aware that my ECs are pretty weak compared to other students applying to these types of schools. If you think I don’t have a shot at some of the more selective ones, please be honest. I’m just hoping to gain a more realistic perspective on my odds. Thank you and I hope this isn’t too much of an inconvenience! I really appreciate your help :)
1 replies
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chance me :)

• GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 31022 replies481 threads Forum Champion
    UC GPA’s? Capped weighted, Fully weighted and Unweighted

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

OOS students only get the extra honors points weighting for AP/IB or DE (UC transferable) classes.

By not applying for FA means your family is fine paying full fees $65K/year to attend one of the UC’s?

Some UC admit data below:
    2020 UC capped weighted GPA averages along with 25th-75th percentile range:
    UCB: 4.22 (4.13-4.30)
    UCSB: 4.17 (4.03-4.27)

2020 Data:
    25th - 75th percentiles for SAT totals:

UCB: 1320-1560
    UCSB: 1290-1510

Overall you look like a competitive applicant so best of luck.
    · Reply · Share