right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Spain? Italy? Hawaii? Where do you want to travel WHILE getting college credit? REGISTER NOW for a virtual College Fair on Sept. 29!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

What are my chances

BettyioBettyio 4 replies1 threads New Member
edited August 10 in What Are My Chances?
Hello I’m Betty and I’m riding senior.
GPA: 4.5 weighted - 4 unweighted
SAT: 1390 ACT: 35 ( I’m submitting my ACT) - no subject testing got cancelled

Classes: (9) Honors Biology, Honors Algebra 2, AP Human Geo, Spanish 3, Honors English, PE, Art 1

Classes: (10) Honors Physics, Honors Precalculus , AP World, Spanish 4, Honors English, PE, AP psychology

Classes: (11) Honors Chemistry , AP BC calc, AP Physics C, APUSH, AP macro/micro, AP Spanish Lang/culture, AP Lang

Possible 12th grade class: AP Biology, Multivariable Calc, AP Stats, AP Gov, AP Chemistry

Extracurricular: President of international club (10,11), Robotics (9,10,11), Spanish Honor Society (9,10,11)
I did bunch of other clubs for fun I don’t know whether I should list them

I have about 200+ hours of volunteer hours.

Possible major: Biochemistry or Chemical engineer, or biomedical engineering

Reach schools
Yale
Standford
MIT
Brown
Cornell

Target
Williams College
Tufts University
UCLA
Rice

I don’t have safety 😩

edited August 10
15 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What are my chances

• BettyioBettyio 4 replies1 threads New Member
    Technically I have 4.59 but school don’t round 😢
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 24437 replies2460 threads Super Moderator
    All of the schools on your list should be considered reaches for any unhooked applicant.

You need to seek out match and safety schools that appear affordable and that you would be excited to attend
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 31018 replies479 threads Forum Champion
    UC GPA’s ? https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

CA resident? College budget?

Agree that you need Match and safety schools or you could be shut out.
    · Reply · Share
    what you mean by unhooked?
    · Reply · Share
  • TheGodlyBeastTheGodlyBeast 16 replies4 threads Junior Member
    @bettyio Hooked applicants are those who have basically a large advantage... i.e. legacy, high level in sports, parents donated a lot of money, won something or amazing at something(by amazing I mean like really good - like winning a olympiad, etc... ). Demographics and income can also be considered hooks.
    · Reply · Share
    So if I’m a minority I have lower chances 😓
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 12066 replies205 threads Senior Member
    Possible major: . . . Chemical engineer[ing], or biomedical engineering

Why Williams, then?
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 24437 replies2460 threads Super Moderator
    To clarify a hooked applicant is a person who fills an institutional need of a college. It is a reason why a college would accept one applicant over similarly (or somewhat less) qualified applicants. Some typical examples of hooks are: recruited athlete, a child of a huge donor, a person who might bring positive fame to a school (ex. Malala, a movie star etc.). If you had a hook you would know it.

At some colleges being a minority can be a plus to your application, but it is not as powerful as having a hook. Very few people do have hooks.

Again, you need to re-think your list. Schools like Williams (13% acceptance rate), Rice (11% acceptance rate), Tufts (14% acceptance rate) and UCLA (14% acceptance rate) are not target/match schools -- they are reach schools. You need to do the research and find match and safety schools that appear affordable and that you would be excited to attend.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 5888 replies96 threads Senior Member
    Bettyio wrote: »
    So if I’m a minority I have lower chances 😓

If you are a URM that will be a hook at many schools.

Agree these are all reaches, even for URMs. Plus, some of these schools are very different. Can you elucidate what you are looking for in a school, such as size, setting (urban/rural/suburban), vibe, etc?

What math class will you have senior year?

What is your budget.....what can/will your family pay for college?
    · Reply · Share
    I’m taking Multivariable Calculus. My family’s income is about $100,000 so I qualify for full aid on my tuition for most of the colleges.
    · Reply · Share
  • aunt beaaunt bea 10465 replies73 threads Senior Member
    State?
    $100K for how large a family? Full aid? How?
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 31018 replies479 threads Forum Champion
    If you are not a California resident, then you will get NO aid from UCLA except Federal student loans (Freshman $5500). With a family $100K income, you are not eligible for Federal Pell grants either. Have you run the Net Price calculators at all schools of interest?
    · Reply · Share
  • aunt beaaunt bea 10465 replies73 threads Senior Member
    Joking? Real post?
    · Reply · Share
  • perplexus808perplexus808 10 replies1 threads New Member
    I don't think your targets are targets, they are reaches for everyone.
    Acceptance rates:
    Rice - 11%
    UCLA - 14%
    Williams - 12%
    Tufts - 15%
    So my advice is to look for match and safety schools (financial too) that you would still be happy to attend and that are affordable. You are competitive for those schools but your chances are low, only because they reject qualified applicants all the time, and it shows in their acceptance rates. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • coolguy40coolguy40 3027 replies8 threads Senior Member
    Those are all reach schools, either statistically or financially. You're either going to get a long list of rejections, or if you're lucky, an acceptance to a school you can't afford. Your income falls in the category of too "rich" to get generous aid, but too "poor" to afford the tuition. I would scrap all but maybe 1 or 2. I don't know what state you're in, but your state flagship university is a great starting point, and should be your most serious school, along with other schools in your home state.
    · Reply · Share