right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

Chances at top colleges without standardized tests

kalicmariwkalicmariw 10 replies3 threads New Member
edited September 22 in What Are My Chances?
I am planning to apply to Harvard with EA and other top schools during regular decision, however, I don't think I will submit a test score. Stats are shown below.

Asian male, middle class, first-gen in US college, planning to major in EE, 4.4 GPA
Relevant classes: AP Physics I & II, AP Calculus AB & BC, AP Computer Science, AP Art Studio

Experiences

ISEF finalist in 2018, 2019, 2020, won Grand Award in 2019, Guest speaker at Society of American Military Engineering Conference, personally invited to the Teledyne Brown Engineering Factory, ASM Materials Most Outstanding Exhibit winner, Team leader of the school robotics team (qualified for state), Varsity science olympiad (went to nationals since 2017), B-division prac teacher in physics events, an associate member of Sigma Xi research honor society, alumni in Society for Science and the Public, Scholastic Art & Writing silver medal, Engineering award recognition from the dean of a local university, first author published at Elsevier journal (IF: 4, acceptance rate: 35% for phD), single author published at SAE International, having another paper processed in IEEE, State science fair best of research in 2018 and 2019, science fair state 1st place categorical winner in 2019, community service in STEM-related events for 2 years, president of school's TSA, school ambassador, currently developing fuzzy-logic AI for medical diagnosis website with my friends.

Will my extracurricular activities influence the holistic process in a way that the lack of test score would not harm me in the admission?
edited September 22
3 replies
Post edited by Erin's Dad on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chances at top colleges without standardized tests

• boudersbouders 2799 replies195 threads Senior Member
    Your awards are impressive. The lack of a test score should not be a problem.
    · Reply · Share
  • parentologistparentologist 302 replies37 threads Member
    My jaw is still dropped, reading your resume. Was it that you couldn't get a standardized test, or that you did, but weren't happy with your score? (And my jaw is still on the floor)
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 3065 replies14 threads Senior Member
    edited September 22
    My main question for you is again: why Harvard? Based on your interests you should be applying to Stanford, MIT, Cornell, Berkeley, GTech, CMU, Michigan, Harvey Mudd, or Caltech. I really do not see Harvard as the best place for you. The opportunities at the other colleges (or at Harvey Mudd) for a budding engineer are far wider than they are at Harvard. They all have far better engineering programs than does Harvard, and far better internship and job opportunities for engineers as well.

As for your chances - you are pretty competitive for anywhere. First authorship on peer reviewed articles in not common for high school students.

That being said - you need matches and a safety.
    edited September 22
    · Reply · Share