Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chances to go to good Engineering Schools

DalDal Registered User Posts: 291 Junior Member
edited March 2007 in What Are My Chances?
Hello! I've been doing college searching and I've started getting a little bit uncertain about just how high I should be reaching on my schools. I'm pretty sure I want to double major with EECS (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science). Here is some Stats:

School: Competitive Public
Ethnicity: Caucasian
GPA: 3.5 (upward trend with a large increase this year due to medical reason, I have a 3.8-3.9 this year)
Grade: Junior
Number of Honors taken(or taking) so far: 5
Number of APs taken(or taking) so far: 4
APs with score (if taken yet - all will be taken)
AP Computer Science A - 3 (taken sophmore year)
AP Computer Science AB
AP US History
AP Language and Composition

Senior Year courses:
AP Calculus BC
AP Physics C
AP US & Comparative Government
AP Literature and Composition (I think that's what the next level is called)
(considering AP Psychology, but may take something else)

AP tests completed by end of Senior year: 10-11 (depending on Psychology)

Practice SAT scores: waver between 1900 and 2000.
Last one was 650 Critical Reading, 720 Math, 620 Writing. The practice SATs were from that official SAT book so they were real SAT questions.

ECs:
Treasurer of Habitat for Humanity campus chapter with about 200 volunteer hours by the end of the year

Public Relations of Gay Straight Alliance (odd position, but kind of a mix of secretary and vice president I think).

Contests:
ISEF 2005 - Placed 3rd in Computer Science within the school's competition

Toshiba 2006 - Honorable Mention

Toshiba 2007 - Participant (haven't heard back yet)

Defer:
Don't know if this would be considered in the admissions, but I plan to defer for a year to go into a year long student exchange program in Germany.

Schools I've been considering applying to:
UC-Berkley (darn residency =( if only I was in state)
University of Michigan (though I hear GPA means everything to them)
Cornell
MIT (This one is mostly my dream reach, reach school. I'd love to go but I don't think my GPA is high enough. I'd still rather apply and be told hell no then not apply at all =) Especially after my absolutely amazing prefrosh experience, I absolutely loved the personality there <3)

uhh, other then that I'm at a loss of good schools for this subject. Therefore, any help would be most appreciated if you want to suggest somewhere you feel is more up to par. I mostly feel like I may be shooting too high. I however, am kind of having trouble finding safety schools and such because I keep wanting to shoot for the moon. I'll be happy though, if I hit the stars instead.

Thank You!
Post edited by Dal on

Replies to: Chances to go to good Engineering Schools

• hopeful01hopeful01 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    TBH, I think those 3 schools are all reaches (unless your in state for UMich). I don't know much about Cornell though.

Check out Purdue. I am pretty sure you wouldn't have much difficulty getting in, and its a great engineering school.
  • DalDal Registered User Posts: 291 Junior Member
    Yeah, I kind of thought I was reaching high. I will check out Purdue. Thank You =) I may be able to *technically* apply for in state with Michigan because my parents are planning on renting something like a condo in Michigan by my relatives for when we go up there on visits. I know that to apply for in state tuition, you must be in state for a year. However, I don't know if they would actually consider me "in state" since I've never gone to a Michigan school.
  • GIMEurSTRESballZGIMEurSTRESballZ Registered User Posts: 1,470 Member
    rensellaer poly institute, rochester inst. of tech., worcester poly. tech. are some engineering schools you could get into and do well with. a bit higher up are carnegie mellon, tufts, a lot of publics such as uva have good engineering. for a smaller campus check out union or harvey mudd
  • DalDal Registered User Posts: 291 Junior Member
    I was under the impression that UVA wasn't very good in their engineering department. I'll have to actually research them then. I was mostly looking out of state because I was under the impression that for engineering, most kids around here end up going to Virginia Tech. So I was looking to see if I could get a better school out of state. Glad I'm getting a lot of suggestions, It's really going to help me a lot ^.^ Thank You!
  • GIMEurSTRESballZGIMEurSTRESballZ Registered User Posts: 1,470 Member
    i think uva engineering is probably overshadowed by programs such as law. if you get a chance do a tour of their engineering school. my tour guide was a senior and, in february, had a job lined up as a chem engineer with dow chemical thanks to uva. trust me, a school like uva doesnt have bad programs.
  • flopsyflopsy Registered User Posts: 8,368 Senior Member
    Dal:

UCB: Reach (out of state, Engineering)
This discussion has been closed.