Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Chances at MIT Gradute Program in Economics

triple_sectriple_sec Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
edited November 2007 in What Are My Chances?
Hello Everyone,

I have applied for the Ph.D program in Economics at MIT and I am curious about my chances.

- white male from Hungary
- last year in MA program in Economics at a university in Budapest
- TOEFL: pending, hopefully above 100/120 (<100 means auto-reject)
- GRE: math: 800/800, verbal: 660/800 (my primary language is not English), analytical: pending (I made both GRE and TOEFL in Nov 2007)
- GPA: 3.91 on a scale of 4.00
- best grades for all math classes at university except for one (I had the second best grade for that one); best grades for all economics classes; best grades for the vast majority of all other classes
- worked as a Credit Risk Analyst for 3 months (quasi summer work) at the largest bank in Central Europe (OTP)
- in my major (40 studenst), there is no official ranking, but I am sure to be one of the best ones (1st to 3rd)
- have been a tutor for 4 years and was a Teaching Assistant in math at the university for one year.
- won an essay competition organized by the Hungarian Ministry of Finance and rewarded 3rd prize at another organized by the National Bank of Hungary
- very small amount of savings, but good chances at several funds if I get admitted

Well, I know I have small chances, but I am curious whether they are "virtually zero" or "small but not impossble".

Thank you for any help.
Best,
triple_sec

Replies to: Chances at MIT Gradute Program in Economics

This discussion has been closed.