Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

Chances Please!

compSciBeastcompSciBeast Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
edited December 2007 in What Are My Chances?
*In State for UC's

SAT: 2350 Superscored(800M, 750CR, 800W), 2270(800M) best single sitting

Weighted GPA: 4.4(for 10th and 11th grade) 4.5 counting Senior year (assuming straight a's)

Unweighted: 3.88

UC GPA: 4.21

Class Rank: Very competitive high school in CA(API>900), but am somewhere between top 4-7 percent.

Math 2c: 800
Physics: expecting 800 or very close to 800

EC'S

1)Cross Country Varsity Captain
2)Track-Captain
3)Published poet. Have been published across the nation.
4)Won several local piano competitions- I have been playing for 8 years
5)Tutor for a local SAT prep company teaching math and science
6)Peer tutor at school for all the math and science classes
7)Speech and Debate- Congress
8)Robotics
9) 150 hrs of Community Service- at YMCA and peer tutoring
10) Link Crew- a freshmen transition program

Essays:
Very strong. I enjoy writing, and my essays will definitely boost my applications.

Please chance me for the following schools with Electrical Engineering or Computer Science as my intended major:

1) Stanford
2) MIT
3) UC Berkeley (EECS) *I am in-state
4) Princeton
5) Caltech
6) Cornell
7) Carnegie Mellon
8) UPenn (Jerome Fisher) --just for kicks; my dad graduated from Wharton, so I have legacy

Thanks very much. Since I know these are all very tough schools, I have also applied to other UC's and am hoping they will be safeties, considering I'm in-state. Any suggestions and general advice are greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your time.
Post edited by compSciBeast on

Replies to: Chances Please!

• HSisOverratedHSisOverrated Registered User Posts: 392 Member
    1) Stanford - Slight Match
    2) MIT - Slight Match
    3) UC Berkeley (EECS) *I am in-state - Match
    4) Princeton - Reach
    5) Caltech - Slight Match
    6) Cornell - Match
    7) Carnegie Mellon - MATCH
    8) UPenn (Jerome Fisher) --just for kicks; my dad graduated from Wharton, so I have legacy - Slight Match

UPenn really isn't that hard to get into. I heard they masturbate to a well-written essay. Father got in with half the stats you listed...
  • hoonosehoonose Registered User Posts: 637 Member
    I'd say you're a good match for all of them except maybe MIT, since they're just insane. Knowing your ethnicity would help though.
  • compSciBeastcompSciBeast Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    Thanks for the input. I am Asian(Indian) if that impacts the decision. Also, I forgot to mention that I received 5's in AP Calc BC, US History, and Physics B, and I'm taking 5 AP's as a senior, giving me a total of 8 ap tests during high school. My recs will be awesome, both from my teachers and counselors. Any more feedback/comments? Thanks again for your time!
  • snooker1snooker1 Registered User Posts: 233 Junior Member
    "UPenn really isn't that hard to get into. I heard they masturbate to a well-written essay. Father got in with half the stats you listed..."
    Yes but Penn has become insanely selective in the past decade and is by no means a MATCH for ANYONE. The Jerome Fisher Program in particular is restricted to only 50 students a year and is one of the toughest programs to be admitted to in the country.
    1) Stanford: reach
    2) MIT: reach
    3) UC Berkeley (EECS) *I am in-state: match
    4) Princeton: reach
    5) Caltech: slight reach
    6) Cornell: match
    7) Carnegie Mellon: solid match, you will almost definitely get in
    8) UPenn (Jerome Fisher) --just for kicks; my dad graduated from Wharton, so I have legacy: Reach
    Thanks snooker1. Any suggestions as to what I can do to improve chances at Stanford and some of the other reaches?

Any more opinions, people?
  • shimshimheyshimshimhey Registered User Posts: 154 Junior Member
    I think MIT will just reject you for fun because thats what they usually do.
    Lol, yeah admissions decisions can be erratic sometimes.

Any more opinions? Chances please.
This discussion has been closed.