Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Ut Austin, UMich, Washington U, Johns Hopkins

choichoipowerchoichoipower Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
edited July 2010 in What Are My Chances?
Ut Austin, UMich, Washington U, Johns Hopkins are only some of the colleges I am applying to, but I'm wondering my chances...

So far, I have a 5.1467/5.0 weighted gpa in school
that becomes about a 3.7/3.8 out of 4.0 unweighted.

My SAT is a 2160
M:770
CR: 730
W: 660
E: 10

ACT was 31, but since it's worse than my SAT I won't list it

I am going to be taking my SAT 2's in October (Math 2 and History)

My school grades were mainly B's freshman year, but I brought that up to All A's Sophomore year and Junior year.

EC:
Outstanding Soloist
3 years 1st chair all region bassonist
3 years in the state solo contest
3rd marching in state
Volunteered at Irving Teen COurt for 2 years
volunteered at Korean churches
In the interact club
Secretary of NHS
President/Co-Founder of the Spanish NHS
Donated 100$ to CCA for winning community service award
Secretary of Debate Club
In the community Service Club

Now after reading over my EC's I feel like I have weak EC's..

I'm in the process of writing my essays

But the twist is... I was suspended 2nd semester of Sophomore year for Drug Paraphernalia..

Do I still have strong chances or not?
This has been scaring me and still is up to now....
And how should I go on explaining the incident..
Please and thank you.
Post edited by choichoipower on

Replies to: Ut Austin, UMich, Washington U, Johns Hopkins

• Anonymous1993Anonymous1993 Registered User Posts: 823 Member
    I think you have a really good chance at all these schools if you write a solid essay.
    Chance me?
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/970863-what-my-chances.html
  • mt1993mt1993 Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
    The upward trend is definitely good, make sure you keep up the A's senior year!
    Do you plan to play bassoon in college? Those ECs definitely set you apart, so I would try to emphasize that.

What are you planning to major in? (If it is music, that could have a very big impact)
    About your suspension incident, explain it honestly. Tell them what happened and why--to a point. Don't fudge the truth at all, but if there is a certain part that sounds particularly unflattering, perhaps gloss over it a bit. And most importantly, explain what you learned and how it has changed you.
    And if you can get a recommendation from someone who has seen you change and mature and can write about that, that would be great.

I'm not very familiar with Austin, but your grades and test scores are definitely in the possible range for Wash U, UMich, and Johns Hopkins. I'd say that all three are matches (maybe on the higher side), all things considered.

Best of luck!
  • jshainjshain Registered User Posts: 5,381 Senior Member
    I say no way on Wash U and JHU with your GPA (a tad low for Wash U), SAT scores and the drug suspension, regardless of how you explain it and how much you are accountable for your action. Tough lesson can be learned from this....
  • ChunkyPastaSauceChunkyPastaSauce Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    I say no way on Wash U and JHU with your GPA (a tad low for Wash U), SAT scores and the drug suspension, regardless of how you explain it and how much you are accountable for your action. Tough lesson can be learned from this....

I think as long as he doesn't have repeat suspensions or a suspension that's for something violent I wouldn't worry about it too much especially since it's not recent.

College experts discuss high school suspensions - College Admissions, Search, and Financial Aid Help from College Confidential
  • choichoipowerchoichoipower Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    No, I'm going towards Medical or Engineering..
    And I quit band my sr year to try to get a better feel for what I want to go towards.
    Idk if that's a good choice
This discussion has been closed.