right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

I'm a current freshman! Any questions?

Replies to: I'm a current freshman! Any questions?

• GregFieldsGregFields 256 replies22 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 278 Junior Member
    What classes at Whitman would you consider to be easily A+'s?

- The Gracken
    · Reply · Share
  • Cookie606Cookie606 50 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    No, I'm not on the tennis team this year. I was hesitant to join because I wanted to test my schedule first. I did, however, play IM tennis and that was super fun. I also find time to play with friendly randomly on our free time.

Why do you ask about easy A classes? We have a whole bunch of activity classes that are pass/fail for one credit, so those are easy and just there for fun. "Easy A" for academic classes depends on the person, obviously.
    · Reply · Share
  • Cookie606Cookie606 50 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    To everyone who comes across this: While Whitman is as welcoming and inclusive as I make it sound (hopefully), I'd like to point out that I'm still only a freshman who hasn't even been through a whole semester yet and even though I'm at a small school in Walla Walla, there's so much more for me to explore. So even though there's no exact definition for Whitman, I don't know myself how accurate I would be if there were or if I'm doing it any justice at all.

I just know that I am happy here. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • BogneyBogney 2356 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,364 Senior Member
    Cookie 606: You are a terrific virtual ambassador for Whitman. My son is a sophomore there who, though looking forward to returning home for the xmas break, has been enjoying the experience and education there a great deal for many of the same reasons you describe. I would love for my daughter to go there too, but she wants to blaze her own trail and go somewhere with horses. Best of luck to you and your friends at Whitman.
    · Reply · Share
  • cynighttcynightt 10 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Hey! I have a few questions to ask :)
    I heard there's not much diversity, is that right? Do are most students there come from upper-middle class?
    How's Whitman's pre-med program? I'm sure Whitman has great academics, but how about its reputation for grad school? Do you think Whitman is underestimated, I mean ranking and prestige wise? Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • bopambobopambo 1241 replies56 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,297 Senior Member
    cynigtt, Cookie606 will be able to give you a fuller answer about the diversity at Whitman since she actually attends, but I want to give you my 2 cents on a couple of your other questions. My son is a sophomore there and we aren't upper middle class, my son attends because he receives merit aid and has work study jobs. He doesn't feel out of place in any way. I think there is quite a lot of socioeconomic diversity, Whitman really works at getting diversity of all types onto campus.

Secondly, I do think Whitman is underrated, I'm always surprised that it is ignored in so many CC conversations. My S was accepted to 5 other schools who are ranked in the top 20 of USNW rankings, he decided on Whitman because, like Cookie606, he loved it. I thought that he might not be as challenged academically there, but that has not proven to be the case. His HS stats put him in the top 25% of admitted students, but he says that he is definitely working very hard to make good grades and is nowhere near the smartest student in his classes. Graduate schools are very aware of Whitman's preparation of undergrads, Whitties routinely go on to the best grad schools in the country.

Cookie606, you are a great example of the terrific people that gravitate to Walla Walla, and do so because it is full and happy experience. Bogney, glad to hear that all is going well for your S and I wish you the best outcome for your D!
    · Reply · Share
  • smdporfavorsmdporfavor 99 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    I hope I get in... Haha. Sounds amazing.
    · Reply · Share
    Bogney and bopambo: Aw, shucks! Thanks. Glad your sons are happy, too

I'm not sure about the financial situations of most students, to be honest.. Most everyone has scholarships, though, I know for sure. And it's usually clear that they're very important to us. I don't really feel comfortable judging which class everyone is in, y'know? However I will say that I do feel like there's a whole range of people though and it's clear that the backgrounds are very diverse. Maybe there's data online somewhere to give a better answer? I think in the end we're all just poor college students that will jump at any event with free food and where we come from doesn't matter in that sense. :) And there is so much free food everywhere!

There's not really a "pre-med program", though there is a track and it's very easy to follow. We do offer a Biochemistry Biophysics and Molecular Biology which is a popular major for pre-med. The adviser for that major is also the pre-med adviser and he is just amazing and so knowledgeable! Also people will major in Biology. But to be honest, after a few months here's I've realized that most Pre-med students here claim to be majoring in a humanities... like English or Psychology, which is out of the ordinary, but very cool! I'm thinking about majoring in Sociology and pre-med, in case anyone cares!

I haven't been thinking of grad school myself, but from what I've heard I think Whitman's reputation is alright. Lots of students talk about all the connections they've found through Whitman, but I can't really go farther than that. Sorry! I know that most Science students I've met plan on going to grad school and seem content about Whitman's reputation. Whitman also does a good job of making you prepared for further education because there are helpful resources everywhere.
    · Reply · Share
  • LMDESQLMDESQ 2 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Do you play tennis at Whitman now?
    · Reply · Share
    I don't play tennis too often. I played IM tennis for a couple weeks, and sometimes I go out with friends, but I think I might play club next semester because I miss it. Varsity sounds like a big commitment, though.
    · Reply · Share
  • bopambobopambo 1241 replies56 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,297 Senior Member
    I'm popping this back up because the info is valuable.
    · Reply · Share
  • momsingsmomsings 804 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 807 Member
    What do you think about the theatre department?
    · Reply · Share
    Aw, to be honest I can't go very far with this one. I've been forgetting to attend all of the plays I have tickets to (whoops). And I don't have any close theatre friends. But I know lots of people are involved and there's shows going on all the time. And from what I hear, they're really great. Honestly, I feel like all the programs here are small, close-knit passionate and motivated. However, the best way to answer this question more directly would be to talk to an actual theatre student.

Thanks for the question. Sorry I don't really have an answer!
    · Reply · Share
  • jotranjotran 7 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8 New Member
    According to my friends, who are very involved in the theater, the department is very student driven. Students can be directors, stage managers, actors, and etc. For every teaching position, there is a student assistant who does a lot of work. The department is very open to the campus without any prejudices; it is not limited to just theater-major students but also other majors. For instance, my friend who is thinking of becoming a biology-major is starring in an upcoming play. There are also different shows every year, which allows a lot of opportunities for students to be involved in. Lastly, with different directors for different plays, students are able to learn different styles.

As for me, I really enjoy the plays. I really like how as a student, the admission tickets are free. I also love watching shows directed by students: lunch box shows and and the instant play festivals.
    · Reply · Share
  • 5boys5boys 1696 replies79 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,775 Senior Member
    momsings.. Whitman is always ranked VERY high on lists for "Best Theatre Programs"..
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity