right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

2013 RD Big Envelope came today

13»

Replies to: 2013 RD Big Envelope came today

• thirrdplanetthirrdplanet 622 replies56 threads Member
    Lol yes! My camp name is Albus.
    · Reply · Share
    Woah worst financial aid offer yet. Whitman is out of the running.
    · Reply · Share
  • bopambobopambo 1256 replies57 threads Senior Member
    I'm so sorry to hear that thirrdplanet. I know you have other choices and I wish you the very best! Congratulations on all the great acceptances.
    · Reply · Share
  • sunmachinesunmachine 725 replies99 threads Member
    Also sorry to hear that, 3rdP. Goes to show the importance of casting a wide net (which you were smart enough to do!) since FA is so uncertain! Good luck with your decision !
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks everyone! I loved Whitman but looks like it isn't for me.
    · Reply · Share
  • gratefuldadgratefuldad 42 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Thirdplanet: If Whitman is really your first choice, don't give up yet. My D is graduating in May and loved almost everything about her four years at the college. We also found that they were quite generous with financial aid. We did not qualify until this year (when we had both kids in college at the same time), but then the FA office was very responsive and understanding. Show them what other aid offers you have received, perhaps they can make some changes.
    · Reply · Share
  • CJaneReadCJaneRead 1572 replies39 threads Senior Member
    Anyone receive merit aid, and would you mind sharing the amount? Thanks
    · Reply · Share
    My parents are contacting them because it says my contribution should be around 10k per year, almost double what it says my parents' should be. I have no idea how they think I have that kind of money to contribute! There must be some sort of error.

I received a 13,000 merit scholarship.
    · Reply · Share
  • tang56tang56 2 replies0 threads New Member
    I got an $8,000/year merit scholarship.
    · Reply · Share
  • limboleahlimboleah 2 replies0 threads New Member
    I also got an $8,000 merit scholarship. :)
    · Reply · Share
    Does anyone know the terms of the $8000 a year merit money? Does it renew automatically or do you have to maintain a certain GPA? Reapply?
    · Reply · Share
  • limboleahlimboleah 2 replies0 threads New Member
    The financial aid packet says that you get it every four years. There isn't a minimum GPA required to keep it, but you're expected to maintain a good academic standing.
    · Reply · Share
    CJane, my son is a junior and has received his merit aid without question every year, even when his GPA dipped below a 3.0 in sophomore year :(
    · Reply · Share
    Good to know, bopambo. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    · Reply · Share
  • ardenatwhitmanardenatwhitman 43 replies2 threads Junior Member
    I'm on a good amount of merit aid and none of it has a required GPA. I don't know if that's just a universal Whitman policy or something that bopambo's son and I share, but I can attest to it too.
    · Reply · Share
    ardenatwhitman, thanks so much for being here thoughtfully answering questions about Whitman! It's so nice to have current students sharing their experiences. You're a great ambassador!
    · Reply · Share
  • ardenatwhitmanardenatwhitman 43 replies2 threads Junior Member
    bopambo, you're so welcome! I love Whitman, and I just want everybody to love it too. The whole college admission process was so stressful and scary that I'm just trying to make it a little easier for all the potential Whitties.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity