Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Transfer to Whitman with 3.111? Or raise GPA?

omgitswillow3omgitswillow3 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited January 2018 in Whitman College
I'd like to transfer to Reed College or Whitman College from Bellarmine University for either Fall 2018 or Spring 2019.

Current status: First-Year Sophomore
Major: Chemistry
Minor: English
Current GPA: 3.111
High School GPA (if relevant): 3.9 on 4.0 scale /4 4.3 on 4.5-5.0 scale (took numerous AP and Honors courses so I'm not sure what scale it's on)
ACT Score (if relevant): 30 / Writing: 9
Recommendations: Should be very positive.
Common App Transfer Statement: Want to transfer for better geographic location and social life that will challenge me and help me grow.
Numerous collegiate activities such as members of various clubs and organized a fundraiser for a local women's shelter and numerous work experiences.

My ultimate question is do I need to wait to apply for Spring 2019 to get my GPA back up (I had a rough first semester)? Or should I apply both now (Fall 2018) and later (Spring 2019), if necessary? Everything will stay relatively the same except GPA.

Replies to: Transfer to Whitman with 3.111? Or raise GPA?

• butfirstcoffeebutfirstcoffee Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    I would not use location and social life as your hook for your transfer essay. They want to know that you want to transfer for academics! :) Otherwise you look great! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.