Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

WHITMAN CLASS 2022 RD

Replies to: WHITMAN CLASS 2022 RD

• monkeyg56monkeyg56 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    I don't know much about likely letters. Would they be sent out so soon to the notification date?

I'm hoping for all the best for your daughter @CroissantMiser
  • CroissantMiserCroissantMiser Registered User Posts: 165 Junior Member
    thanks @monkeyg56 ... Like i said in earlier post, last year's thread indicated "likely letters" received the first week of March by some students. I'm suggesting that perhaps Whitman digitized the likely letters this year in the form of a 3/1 update to the admissions portal of select applicants rather than sending physical letters. Again, that just my guess.
  • pcmom1pcmom1 Registered User Posts: 147 Junior Member
    edited February 2018
    My daughter also received the email last week. I was shocked that Whitman was releasing all of the decisions so early, especially when the email said they had a record number of applicants this year. Then it says "We want to take a moment to provide you with information on when your admission decision will be released" (key word is your) which made me think maybe it is an early acceptance notification for some students like some other schools do. But then I thought it would be strange to notify students they were getting an early decision notification without actually notifying them of the decision (I'm not sure that last sentence makes any sense, but I know what I am trying to say). I guess we will see on Thursday at 3:00 p.m.
  • LibArtsSchoolsLibArtsSchools Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I personally do not think it's a likely letter, as I have subpar stats and my extracurriculars aren't amazing, and I still got the message. Even if I do somehow get in, it's doubtful that I would get a likely letter.
    thanks for the updates/feedback.
  • ColanderBoyColanderBoy Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    @pcmom1 hah I understand what you mean and I definitely agree. I wonder if anyone else besides @CroissantMiser ‘s daughter didn’t get one.
    The wording of the email makes me think that it’s for all decisions.
  • daffodilpetuniadaffodilpetunia Registered User Posts: 256 Junior Member
    I suspect all the decisions are coming Thursday and the email for CroissantMiser's D somehow went astray.
  • WhistlingalWhistlingal Registered User Posts: 145 Junior Member
    Congrats 'veryapparent'. Will your daughter be accepting or does she have other fingers in the pie as this is RD?
  • VeryapparentVeryapparent Registered User Posts: 852 Member
    @Whistlingal She had a few surprise early RD acceptances and some others still out there. Waiting to see what it all looks like in terms of merit aid etc before deciding.
  • gigichuckgigichuck Registered User Posts: 611 Member
    Hey everyone. RD applicant who received the email here. I do not believe it's a likely letter, as everyone I know who applied (about 2 others) also received it. Unless we're all getting likelies (which is great, but unlikely), it isn't one.

It's strange though that not everyone received it. Has anyone considered the possibility of those who applied by Dec 1? I know that those who applied by Dec 1 were automatically given application fee waivers. Perhaps we're getting decisions early?

To those who received the email? Did you apply by Dec 1?

Those who didn't receive, when did you apply?
  • LibArtsSchoolsLibArtsSchools Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    @gigichuck I'm assuming the case of not getting it is an isolated one--perhaps it went to the wrong folder or had an issue sending for whatever reason. I applied on January 14th and received the message. I dearly wish it was a likely, but based on the content of the message and my below-average stats for the school, it seems like it was just a courtesy message to make sure we know when to check the portal.
  • gigichuckgigichuck Registered User Posts: 611 Member
    @LibArtsSchools I agree. Well, good luck to us anyway.
    yes good luck...I apologize that my question hijacked the thread a bit. I hope you're all correct and my D just lost track of the email. We'll know soon enough. I still think that b/c Whitman historically segments its RD decisions, that this is another version of that process and not a full change in the notification date for every RD applicant--but again just my opinion and i hope that i'm wrong. Again good luck to everyone on Thursday!
  • VeryapparentVeryapparent Registered User Posts: 852 Member
    Good luck everyone. My D is pretty excited to hear from Whitman! One more day. Seems like time goes by fast unless you are waiting to hear from colleges. :)
  • monkeyg56monkeyg56 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    Just 24 hours left!